The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decisions Hybrids,Big Twins or Big Single

dude

Guest Usmann A

The 2G price some of you quote, is this from JPS? and that must be for stage 1, that doesn't include fitting does it?

Adam, I was merely suggesting, another route which had come into me head, where can the info for the TO4Z be found?

What about one of the smaller SP turbos?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Usmann A

If me dad runs the hybrids, does he need to change the injectors to 550cc ones?, he's already got a new fuel pump and safc.

Leons price seems very good.

Will hava a chat with our tuner, then if no luck were shifting to JPS.

Originally posted by Darren

Matt was your car quickest from standing start?

Darren

At Pod on the 6th, yes. B

But there's a guy on here called Robbie, he has hybrids and his time was only 4 hundredths of a second slower than me, and at present, his boost controller is plumbed in incorrectly. - Should be interesting next time.

Incidently, his car's an auto too. The manuals seem to have difficulty getting off the line well with road tyres.

Originally posted by Terminator

Has anyone got any data on the torque, power, rpm delivery bands ect for the various levels of Hybrid.

This would be very useful, does anyone know? Perhaps someone could ask Leon if he knows or could find out from his turbo guy?

It has been said time & again, that Hybrids are most viable once the stockers give up the ghost. 500 bhp is possible. You will increase lag with each stage as the wheels get progressively bigger. Stage 3's are excellent. Haven't tried stage 4's but the report is they are awesome but laggy.

My stock J-spec ceramics definatly come in at 3800rpm.

I stand to be corrected but I think a boost controllers gain just help to bring them in faster not earlier. (ie, come in at 3800 and full boost by 4200, and with a higher gain, come in at 3800 and on full boost by 3900... I believe... :conf: Just an example BTW)

Coming in late to this thread, here are a few bits of relevant info.

I have a 6spd hybridded-up Supra and it was hopeless at Pod in 1st and 2nd gear. This is probably down to very stiff suspension, very stiff tyre sidewalls, and crapulous grip levels at pod. It was very frustrating as I've done enough traffic light grand prix's/standing starts to know it will accelerate better than that on a proper road surface :)

My terminal speeds were 114-115mph, with no real grip until 3rd gear/about 50-60mph. That should give an indication of what hybrids will do for your power when set up reasonably well. I didn't see a higher terminal speed from any of the other Supra timing slips I saw on the day (not that I saw them all), Matt, what was your terminal speed like?

Anyway, don't think for a moment that hybrids sacrifice midrange/bottom end for top end power. I don't want to go big single as I love the drivability that the sequential setup gives. The first turbo still allows you to ease away from people in 6th at 1500rpm, and with a 6spd you just drop down a couple of gears if you really need both turbos at once :) Having driven my car with j-spec and hybrid turbos on I can say they are a bit laggier, such as about half a second more spoolup time. As long as you change gear quickly you can keep them on song as well, with no percievable lag. Changing up at 4000rpm is a no no though as at this point all the plumbing is in the middle of single to parallel transition, so everything takes an age to get spinning again, compounded with the extra lag of the hybrids.

If you go for hybrids, make sure your fuelling and intercooling is OK, get the fuelling properly sorted and checked, and get an EGT gauge fitted before going over about 1.3bar.

-Ian