The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My First Supra - Red Mkiv N/a Auto

jonny mac

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really nice to see the progress made, your exhaust system looks amazing.

You're lucky to have access to a ramp it makes working underneath so much easier.

I'm wondering if I fancy a change to red now after looking at how nice your car looks.

thanks for the comments guys :D yeah he really is awesome with a polishing pad alex!

now have some new parts for the car, a full set of uk spec brakes, a set of tein coilovers in need of a clean up, a stock steering wheel and also a few gte bits to add to the collection in prep for a swap

aye I should be along to the next one providing it fits in with work as I'm back to 6 day weeks and late evenings now

will be cool to go along though, would like to see that v8 turbo'd red one that was there last time

It's always gonna be on a Sunday afternoon if that's handier for you dude, it seems to be the best time for everyone

• 2 weeks later...

new braided hel lines turned up

image77 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

bought a spare front end to have powdercoated and polybushed in the future

image78 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

however it doesn't have the mounts for the front strength braces on a supra so i'll just get another one

this setup was from a soarer but at least i've still got spare arms etc

new wheel nuts turned up, m12x1.5

image79 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

got a stock wheel finally :D

image80 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

Edited by jonny mac (see edit history)

bought a set of oem 17" turbo wheels :D delighted! finally....been looking for a set of these for a long time

image82 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

they need a refurb and tyres done so i'll see if the powdercoating place can do them while my subframes are being done

full rear subframe from a turbo mkiv, i'm going to use all the rear end parts but polybush and powdercoat them

don't think it's an lsd but i'll open it up to check the ratio anyway as it may not be the correct diff to the chassis plate

image81 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

and a full front end, again to be stripped and made pretty/new rubber bushes

image84 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

the old paper speakers were dead, finally got round to replacing them

image83 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

random ones in the back and alpines up front behind oem speaker grills

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Must be nice to have plenty of cash to spend on the car ,you've done a great job

thanks dude, yeah I work 6 days a week and also most evenings to cover my habbit, drugs would have been cheaper haha!

so I've found a lad breaking a gte supra so I've bought his rear sump with oil drain, got my name down on a few other bits from his car that I'd need for BPU too

How will you do for the engine wiring ? You can't reuse the one of the N/A isn't it ?

What's the best way :

Sourcing a stock Supra wiring ?

Are some aftermarket wiring available on the market ?

this weekend I found a guy selling a supra gte turbo ecu loom so I've got my name down on that when it comes off the car, however it's a non vvt loom so I may not actually use it

my last resort would be buying a haltech 2jz2go loom and ecu but that's a big spend for what really would just be powering a few 12v wires on an ecu loom

I'll manage to get it going, weather it means leaving the ecu tucked somewhere in the engine bay for now behind the battery as the loom is too short for a supra or weather I sit down and manually lengthen /rejoin every single wire in the loom to reach the supra passenger floor

• 2 weeks later...

true! i'll work it out later on

picked up a 2jz gte tt power steering pump this week, also a set of fmic pipework and a walbro 255lph fuel pump :D

just to buy a fmic core next, will probably just get the universal 600x300x76mm one from any motorsport place

finally got round to the supra badge!

image85 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

also had my mate come by with his arch roller as i needed the inner edge raised a little at the top as it was catching the wheel under compression

you can't tell by looking from the outside, it hasn't flared the arch outwards, also i've covered the life out of it where we were working in underseal just incase the paint had split even a small amount

image86 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so a big delivery turned up one morning at work

image87 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

the guys at jdm distro done an awesome job sourcing a clean engine, only thing missing in my order was the afm i'd asked to be included, they said they'd send one out

so i spent my lunch break stripping off the auto transmission that came with the engine, all bolts were still like new!

this has to be the cleanest 2jz i think i've ever seen....it must be a seriously low mileage, the block isnt even rusted on the cast outside!

so i got the engine home and put it on my spare stand and out the way for now

image88 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so far i've managed to collect:

mkiv turbo power steering pump

the banjo fitting for the brake servo

1994 turbo engine mounts

turbo rear sump with oil drain flange

walbro 255lph fuel pump

fmic pipes and core

also for the loom, i'm going to extend this loom through to the footwell for now and add in efi relays and make it work with my chassis plugs for rpm signal output etc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

updated build thread picture links in the posts, the photobucket new rules have stopped third party hosting

made a flickr account :D

i'll need to update this with new pics of what's happening with the build, progressing well with the 2j though!

moved the sidelights down to the facelift indicators

image117 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

parts collection growing for the aristo engine

image118 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

that's a non vvt turbo ecu and loom for a mkiv which i'll be using as my reference point for looom length etc

gte water pump (used for 100 miles) but turns out the aristo one is the same anyway!

fmic pipework, viscous fan, walbro 255lph pump

power steering pump from a mkiv, power steering bottle too

image119 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image120 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

also still cleaning it pretty much weekly haha

image121 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

sold the j3 autobox from the aristo engine

so take one very clean non rusty 2jz block :D

image123 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

and paint it to protect it!

first coat on, note i'm not using the front sump so didn't bother me getting paint on it

image124 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

second coat will go on in a weeks time, really going to let this coat harden fully before i put the second layer on

began painting the originally silver parts on the engine,

the mounts, oil drain, rear sump, starter motor, sump lower part

going to be doing the alternator etc later

unfortunately the guy who'd previously worked on these mounts has cross threaded the inside of one of them, the actual rubber mounting part not the block bracket, so i need to find another mount if i can't recut the threads straight

image125 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image126 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

don't currently have any pics of it but i've since removed the aristo loom from the engine on the stand, i've now got it lay out on the work bench and have it ontop of a supra loom, so i'm basically replicating the supra length and body loom pinouts

aristo's are a little more confusing i'd say compared to the supra loom

image122 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

went out for a photoshoot last night, it was right at the time of the sun setting so made it a little tricky to get the exposure settings correct

image127 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image128 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image129 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image130 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image131 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image132 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image134 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image135 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image137 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image136 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

will get the interior pics uploaded later

my favourite one of the evening