The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Show me your Toucan

Big Mark

Does the syvecs bluetooth mod/app give you all the same functionality as the toucan it self. I'm going to making the decision to use a tablet built into the dash instead of getting a radio. But I also want a toucan if I can combine the 2 that would be ideal but would only want to do this if you get all.all . the functions of the toucan. I may just end up getting a toucan.

If I plug a laptop into syvecs is there a way of doing what the toucan does without having to buy one? Just curious.

Guest Budz86

Pretty sure the app allows you to do all of the things the toucan does, and yes if you plug a laptop in and know what you are doing you can easily see what the toucan does, but that's a pretty cumbersome way of doing things. If you don't know what you're doing, you could easily delete or edit the map and that wouldn't be much fun!

Out of interest, if you chose a tablet over a radio, how are you going to get music in the car? Tablet on its own won't be loud enough and don't know how you'd amp it without a headunit?

Pretty sure the app allows you to do all of the things the toucan does, and yes if you plug a laptop in and know what you are doing you can easily see what the toucan does, but that's a pretty cumbersome way of doing things. If you don't know what you're doing, you could easily delete or edit the map and that wouldn't be much fun!

Out of interest, if you chose a tablet over a radio, how are you going to get music in the car? Tablet on its own won't be loud enough and don't know how you'd amp it without a headunit?

Just the 3.5mm jack to an RCA connection which runs to the amp would work. That's what I've done for my setup and there's no problem with sound levels :)

3.5mm jack or mini USB audio.

• 2 weeks later...
What mount do you guys use when putting it where the clock was?

I cut two acrylic discs, one the same size as the clock hole, and one a bit larger. I then glued them together, and pushed it through from the back. I then drilled 4 holes to match up with the threads in the back of the toucan, and screwed it in from the back. This makes it flush with the dash, but on the downside you can't adjust the angle, and the screen suffers from glare a lot. Hopefully the anti glare covering mentioned in this thread will sort that :)

If you look in my build thread you'll find some pics, it would be just before I went single :)

Edit: I dint take many pics unfortunately, but you can see the mount here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?312625-Jays-VVTi-Single-Turbo-Paddleshift-build-thread/page31

Probably a few more pics on the surrounding pages. :)

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...