The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ebay prices

martincoupe

So what do you all think about this one just listed

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-supra-big-turbo-six-speed-manual-640-Bhp-not-skyline-/282199525048?nav=SEARCH

I really wish the seller would put some effort in to their advert. Its like they're being made to sell for gods sake take some decent pictures at least!

Being completely honest, big mods scare me a little (only worked with very minor mods like intakes and coilovers) so a big single on a Supra is hugely off-putting for me and I will not be buying one when I have my cash ready. Not as my first Supra for the very least.

Aside from that, the fact there's no MOT and no paperwork of the build is just the biggest no-no going for me. Even if I inspected it and it was as fantastic as the seller says, I would be tentative parting with 5 figures for that.

So out of curiosity, what would this forum agree on for a TT-Auto's value assuming good mechanical condition, >100k miles, slightly aged but unoffensive paintwork and no obnoxious modifications?

Ballpark?

Im going to stick a limb out and say anywhere between £8k and £10k if youre talking reasonable condition, up to £12k for a nice example?

TT6 I would would be looking between £14k and £20k, but mainly above £18k when the cars are very good condition or modified.

These are my gut feelings based on what I have seen (however I am on the non-owner buying side so my estimates may be a little optimistically low).

Out of interest does anyone know what the highest confirmed price for a successful Supra sale has been in the last few years? That would set the ceiling and I would assume whatever it represents will have been significantly overhauled both cosmetically and mechanically.

I don't know, but there are three close or over £20k cars where you can see the investment gone into them but they've not been snapped up. You more than most know what something like Ianc's car will have cost and how it's probably in the single turbo power sweet spot and looks very very clean inside and out. For me this knocks most £16k dealer tt6's into the weeds. I got a cat from eBay and a guy showed me his vvti 6 speed single it came from, £18k ish I think from sva imports not that long ago either.

I don't know, but there are three close or over £20k cars where you can see the investment gone into them but they've not been snapped up. You more than most know what something like Ianc's car will have cost and how it's probably in the single turbo power sweet spot and looks very very clean inside and out. For me this knocks most £16k dealer tt6's into the weeds. I got a cat from eBay and a guy showed me his vvti 6 speed single it came from, £18k ish I think from sva imports not that long ago either.

I think a good conditon TT6 single either VVTi or not would max be worth £20k.

Provenance on the build will play a big part. I don't see built engines adding much to the value nor excessive BHP. With increased power comes greater risk.

This then makes me think would I pay anything more than £12K for a stock TT6? If it had verifiable low miles, was totally stock and a later face-lift model in immaculate condition I might pay upto £15k. But never over this.

I'm pouring a silly disproportionate amount of money into my current Supra. I will never get any of it back. Even once totally restored from the shell up with £8k of new Toyota parts I don't think it would go for more than £20K.

I know what you mean, but elsewhere in the world they are much more expensive and we may be being set in our 'old' 2010-2013 ways! :p

Saying that some are getting genuinely tired and in need of TLC so cheaper ones aren't necessarily the best value IMO, it's a minefield and a relatively expensive one at that these days compared to old, buyer patience has never been more important!

• 2 weeks later...

AJ and Wonga, save your cash and get an NA auto!!! They look the same, turn the same number of heads, get all the same admiring comments, are more reliable ... and I've just beaten a brand new Porche Cayenne into submission on my way to work (he bailed out at 115 and let me tickle his fat 50 grand belly)!!! Is there another car that can give you all the above for £5K? :p:cool:

Edited by brassbones (see edit history)

AJ and Wonga, save your cash and get an NA auto!!! They look the same, turn the same number of heads, get all the same admiring comments, are more reliable ... and I've just beaten a brand new Porche Cayenne into submission on my way to work (he bailed out at 115 and let me tickle his fat 50 grand belly)!!! Is there another car that can give you all the above for £5K? :p:cool:

Haha, congrats on your new toy :) Although on my extremely long list of reasons I want a Supra, attention and "turning heads" comes just under "it has a pretty fuel cap".

I swear the 0-60 on an NA is like 6.6 seconds? Feel free to correct though.

I kinda want to buy a car I know I'll be happy with for years, an NA/Auto will always be less desirable than an NA/5 TT/Auto and I don't want it itching in the back of my head that I'll need to sell it soon for an upgrade. It's also barely worth spending "real" money on an NA/Auto as you'll never see any returns from your expenses.

An NA/5 would be okay, as frankly I doubt 320+hp and the obscene acceleration that comes with TT would be rarely usable in my daily commute.

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

Haha, congrats on your new toy :) Although on my extremely long list of reasons I want a Supra, attention and "turning heads" comes just under "it has a pretty fuel cap".

I kinda want to buy a car I know I'll be happy with for years, an NA/Auto will always be less desirable than an NA/5 TT/Auto and I don't want it itching in the back of my head that I'll need to sell it soon for an upgrade. It's also barely worth spending "real" money on an NA/Auto as you'll never see any returns from your expenses.

An NA/5 would be okay, as frankly I doubt 320+hp and the obscene acceleration that comes with TT would be rarely usable in my daily commute.

On a track it is, which you must do if you buy one. It's part of forum rules you know. It's in the small print.

That's correct, but if turning heads and getting nice comments etc etc aren't on your wish list then I can see why you wouldn't be swayed by an NA. At the same time though if all I wanted was 0-60 times and BHP I wouldn't be buying a 20 year old vehicle with 20 year old engine and running gear technology. You can get a decent M5 for under £10k :blink:

p.s. I don't see what the NA5 has over the auto (we've had that conversation ad infinitum on here!)

The auto is essentially semi-auto with use of the lever, manu and overdrive buttons.

Edited by brassbones (see edit history)

That's correct, but if turning heads and getting nice comments etc etc aren't on your wish list then I can see why you wouldn't be swayed by an NA. At the same time though if all I wanted was 0-60 times and BHP I wouldn't be buying a 20 year old vehicle with 20 year old engine and running gear technology. You can get a decent M5 for under £10k :blink:

p.s. I don't see what the NA5 has over the auto (we've had that conversation ad infinitum on here!)

The auto is essentially semi-auto with use of the lever, manu and overdrive buttons.

The clutch I guess primarily, although you are starting to make me consider that spending an extra £2,000 to be able to use a clutch is pretty dumb on paper.... Gah, here we go again, decisions decisions. I guess driving it wouldn't be quite the same, and I'd be left feeling like I really HAD spent £4,000 on a car just for its looks.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree how it looks is very important (and a reason for the price) but I kinda just want to look at it myself :D. I don't like attention being drawn to me/my car (perhaps I'm jaded, I've never had a car that hasn't been vandalised....).

You're gonna need to get over that one when you get a Supra!!! Hahaha

Haha you might well be right, but some are much louder than others, if enthusiasts and "car-guys" want to admire it, that's totally cool with me, it's when you're driving something that attracts the plod, kids and just about everybody that it'd start to get uncomfortable. Most people surely just assume it's an "old-looking sports car"?

Haha you might well be right, but some are much louder than others, if enthusiasts and "car-guys" want to admire it, that's totally cool with me, it's when you're driving something that attracts the plod, kids and just about everybody that it'd start to get uncomfortable. Most people surely just assume it's an "old-looking sports car"?

Most people see it and think either "what on earth is that car?" or "I've seen that from a film somewhere..." both of which introduce a lot of admirers/questions. Only down side of owning one IMO is it's a total boy-racer magnet. Seriously, the amount of chavs I've had in their Astra/Corsa/Saxo giving it the biggun near me wanting to race or whatever is just absurd! You do get a lot of questions regarding mods etc, but most people just wanna look and listen to it, they won't always interfere with the driver :)

My V-Spec got the opposite reaction. Porsches used to give up and tuck in behind me. No body would take it on. Quite disappointing really (it was only about 380 fwhp but everyone thinks all Skylines are 1000hp) :) None of my cars have provoked JP to come over and ask question until I got the Transporter :rolleyes:

I've had the opposite reaction in my na5. Nobody even wants to try, with the exception of the corsa or Leon crowd. I've had some very expensive cars pull up, give me a nod and then either sit back behind or casually cruise off. Nobody in a nice car wants to have a go.

That's the beauty of the supra. Unless someone knows what to look for, it's hard from a distance for a non supra guy to judge if the car is na, tt or 1000hp

It's hard for anyone without lifting the bonnet surely? Other than the UK spec with its ugly bonnet scoop and horns!

/QUOTE]

look in the drivers side bumper for the intercooler, look at the dash for a Traction control button :-) but agree not much else......you'd need to know what to look for!

Scoot, you can't really do either of those with a moving vehicle can you? Can you put an intercooler on an N/A? :blink:

I was replying to your "without lifting the bonnet" comment, moving on the road I agree is not practical! :D

You could I'm sure bolt on a side mount intercooler to blag it if you were so inclined :blink: