The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mot fail for no airbag

Chris1992

Steering wheel replacement - if you go that route, isn't difficult and is well documented on here. There will need to be an electrical connection made for the airbag to operate so you would need to make sure the wiring is in place before buying an airbag wheel. Another issue to possibly be aware of is that some parcel couriers will not carry airbag units.

I think they got the hope of getting a older car off the road or trying to make you pay through the nose for something not needed.

I have had mine mot'ed for the last 10 odd years at 4 or 5 different places and it has always past with a aftermarket wheel and NO airbag. I would take it somewhere else and provide pics if needed to show it never come from factory with it fitted.

Good luck buddy

And I think all GZ and some RZ pre facelift models came with the same 4 spoke wheel as the UK cars. Not sure if NA's came with the 4 spoke wheel, but I suspect it was probably an option like the RZ.

My '94 NA SZ had a three spoke wheel and an airbag.

From what I've just been reading around it looks like the rules changed around 2013/14 to say if an airbag was "fitted as original equipment" then it should be there.

Quite how they'll be able to prove that all MkIV imported Supras should have an airbag I don't know.

I'd ask him, "How can I check if my imported spec vehicle for Japanese domestic market originally came with an airbag?"

From what I've just been reading around it looks like the rules changed around 2013/14 to say if an airbag was "fitted as original equipment" then it should be there.

Quite how they'll be able to prove that all MkIV imported Supras should have an airbag I don't know.

I'd ask him, "How can I check if my imported spec vehicle for Japanese domestic market originally came with an airbag?"

I'd say the onus is on the tester to check whether it had one or not. It would then fall back to just the light for error codes, and if not then a pass.

Method of Inspection

1. As far as practicable, check that all airbags

fitted as original equipment are present and

not obviously defective.

Reason for rejection.

1. An airbag obviously missing or defective.

As above reads it is correct to fail if they can prove that the car had an airbag when manufactured.

Method of Inspection

1. As far as practicable, check that all airbags

fitted as original equipment are present and

not obviously defective.

Reason for rejection.

1. An airbag obviously missing or defective.

As above reads it is correct to fail if they can prove that the car had an airbag when manufactured.

Not really as its not obvious, unless the light is on and there's a big hole where it should be.

And it would be hard to prove if it came as standard or not.