The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A £3500 alternative to the V160?

CASHEYE

A gearbox is a torque multiplication device, and so of course is the back axle. A gearbox is traditionally and correctly rated by its torque handling capability in a 1 to 1 gear ratio, at its input shaft over a given RPM range. They have been rather devious and quoted it "at the rear wheels" where the axle ratio has multiplied engine flywheel / gearbox input shaft torque by the diff ratio in a direct gear.

The big power Supras some of us are running make life hard for the V160 / V161.

But that's life : nobody said it would be easy. If things break, you can always fix it.

True but also how often will you be running your car at max boost all the time. I know I'll be most likely running mine at 600-650fwhp the majority of time and only increasing to max boost/power when I really need to. A healthy balance is surely a good thing for the box.

I'm running on high boost setting all the time. Why go for a certain power goal and driving with 75% of it only ?

That's because you are mental - I'm not :) The whole point of my power goal mate is to have a range of power I can deploy at any time via the Toucan when needed. If a Porsche Carrera comes along I'll deploy the 600rwhp. If it's a Lambo then I'll up it..... I personally don't see the need to drive it at full boost all the time, but then our UK roads are very different to yours too my friend ;)

That's because you are mental - I'm not :) The whole point of my power goal mate is to have a range of power I can deploy at any time via the Toucan when needed. If a Porsche Carrera comes along I'll deploy the 600rwhp. If it's a Lambo then I'll up it..... I personally don't see the need to drive it at full boost all the time, but then our UK roads are very different to yours too my friend ;)

Haha. Nice comment mate ... I like your approach. ;)

There's also the issue of 4th and 5th gears being substantially overdriven. The seller makes this comment:

"This transmission's gearing is much different than the factory V160, therefore the rear gearing will be too high (3.13). You will need a 4.00 or taller gear to make this match the V160 gearing"

Err, where do I get a 4.00 to 1 or 4.11 to 1 or whatever CWP for the Supra case please mister??? ;)

He also means (I hope), shorter, not taller gear....

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Isn't the N/A Manual and auto 4.083:1 ?

R154

1- 3.251

2- 1.955

3- 1.310

4- 1.000

5- 0.753

Diff 3.73

W58

1- 3.285

2- 1.894

3- 1.275

4- 1.000

5- 0.783

Diff 4.083

V160

1- 3.827

2- 2.360

3- 1.685

4- 1.312

5- 1.000

6- 0.793

Diff 3.266 (TT) 3.769 (NA)

V161

1- 3.724

2- 2.246

3- 1.541

4- 1.205

5- 1.000

6- 0.818

Diff 3.266 (TT) 3.769 (NA)

Auto

1- 2.804

2- 1.531

3- 1:1

4- 0.705

Diff 3.769 (TT) 4.083 (NA)

Auto TT

The small case diff isn't weak, it just isn't as tough as the big case. Loads of people run the small case diffs for drifting etc and have no issues. For normal Road use I'd consider a small case fine for anything upto big single turbo power / torque.

A gearbox is a torque multiplication device, and so of course is the back axle. A gearbox is traditionally and correctly rated by its torque handling capability in a 1 to 1 gear ratio, at its input shaft over a given RPM range. They have been rather devious and quoted it "at the rear wheels" where the axle ratio has multiplied engine flywheel / gearbox input shaft torque by the diff ratio in a direct gear.

thanks for the explanation - just to see if I understand this right - in reality the number would be much less than the quoted torque @ the wheels?

- - - Updated - - -

The gas pedal is a good modulator :)

thanks for the explanation - just to see if I understand this right - in reality the number would be much less than the quoted torque @ the wheels?

Seems a bizarre thing to have put in the ad, plus his mixing up of shorter and taller ratios I have to wonder just what it all means.

I have never seen anyone try and cite a gearbox torque figure "at the rear wheels". The figure would vary with what diff ratio the vehicle had, for a start. Very odd. And yes the torque at the rear wheels would have to be divided by the diff ratio to get the torque at the gearbox in 4th gear ( 1 : 1 ratio).