The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance for big power cars, who you with?

drift_bear

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My other car is on a multi-car policy through my dad, he's the owner but i'm a named driver (i didn't want a 3rd car in my name lol)

It's certainly a faff for two let alone three cars...be nice if there was a decent multicar policy but for me they never seem to get anywhere near the sum of individual ones?

So i thought i would update this and let everyone know what's happening....

I have tried compition car insurance and got a quote for £600 inc 5 track days and an agreed value of £30K, with everything like for like. The only problem is that i am not entitled to drive other cars through the policy which doesn't help obviously with my daily car.

Sky insurance have REFUSED to increase my value from £15K - £25K because they don't feel that the turbo kit plus supporting mods will take the price of the car up to the new value :blink: even though another member is running the same car, same mods and same turbo set up and got an agreed value of £25K :banghead:

I am now away to try to adrian fluxl and see what they can come back with...

That is slightly bad/worrying news from Sky, aren't they supposed to be the clubs "insurer"?

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

It's certainly a faff for two let alone three cars...be nice if there was a decent multicar policy but for me they never seem to get anywhere near the sum of individual ones?

Yeah i know its crazy tbh

That is slightly bad/worrying news from Sky, aren't they supposed to be the clubs "insurer"?

Yeah they are, i pm'd the guy from here and he hasn't been helpful at all tbh, He said he would get back to me regarding this since i have been with sky for 6 years now..... that was 3 days ago and still no reply :search:

Id be happy with £650 or below with agreed value of 25K :/

I hate how age plays a massive part in insurance

I think its more age and post code these days tbh

I'm 22 and I'm getting nothing with Adrian Flux or Sky.. I don't know how others younger than me are!

I used elephant when i was under 25 iirc

- - - Updated - - -

Don't understand insurance companies! how can it very so much from one person to the next when the cars in question are modified in pretty much the same way! :blink:

That was my point to them regarding mine and marks set-ups!! I got the reply of "we are not allowed to discuss other peoples policies...."

I'm 22 and I'm getting nothing with Adrian Flux or Sky.. I don't know how others younger than me are!

They dont declare all the mods is the simple answer or they pay a stupid amount. Try Admiral over the phone or LV your probably wont get an agreed value, and they also dont understand some mods or wont cover them. (wont be like for like)

They dont declare all the mods is the simple answer or they pay a stupid amount. Try Admiral over the phone or LV your probably wont get an agreed value, and they also dont understand some mods or wont cover them. (wont be like for like)

Yeah I think that is my only option, though I'd hate to be driving around knowing if an incident does ever occur (touch wood it won't), it's money out of my pocket. But it's either that or leave it garaged for about 3 years until I get a agreed value insurance quote :hang:

You will find it's not only young people that would do something like that Ant :blink:

Yeah I think that is my only option, though I'd hate to be driving around knowing if an incident does ever occur (touch wood it won't), it's money out of my pocket. But it's either that or leave it garaged for about 3 years until I get a agreed value insurance quote :hang:

Give elephant a try dude or that Competition car insurance

I'm actually tempted to call sky back and see if they can start a new policy instead of renewing it :think:

It couldn't hurt to give it a try, I would also point out that their "club support" has been seriously lacking for several years now. Maybe we could try and find a new insurer to deal with the club?

It couldn't hurt to give it a try, I would also point out that their "club support" has been seriously lacking for several years now. Maybe we could try and find a new insurer to deal with the club?

The other companies i tried also gave me a 10% discount

well trying to call and arrange is another policy is an even more waste of time! According to sky our "club insurer" they most i can insure my car for is £18.5K with the following mods, 5000 miles a year, 10 years driving, 8 years NCB and kept in a locked garage

Engine Specifications:

•Q45 90mm Throttle Body

•Asnu 1000cc Injectors

•Denso iridium grade 9 spark plugs

•Battery Relocated to boot

•Wire tuck and tidy up

•Blitz LM FMIC

•Blitz dump valve

•Engine oil cooler kit

•Greddy oil cap

•HKS Cams

•Stainless fuse box cover

•Polished manifold covers

•Polished turbo pipe

•Stainless radiator plate

•Chromed radiator clamps

•House techniques silicone hoses

•2JZ no shit engine cover

•Clear cam cover

•Polished wing tops

Turbocharger & Induction:

•HKS GT2835 turbos - polished

•HKS wastegates

•HKS air filters with pipework

Fuel & ECU:

•Walbro 485 fuel pump

•Top Feed Fuel Rail Kit

•Fuel Flex Sensor

•Aeromotive FPR and lines

•Syvecs Ecu

•Supra Adapter Harness

•All syvecs sensors

Fuel Type:

•V-Power

Exhaust:

•SRD Intake Manifold Kit

•4" HKS Ti

•HKS manifolds (will change it from 3" bolt flange to 4" v band)

•HKS downpipes (will change to 4")

•HKS midpipe (will change to 4")

Drivetrain:

•V161 Getrag 6 speed gearbox

•Stage 1 clutch

Suspension, Wheels, Tires & Brakes:

•18” Veilside Andrews 9” fronts 10” Rears

•Toyota bilstein yellow shocks

•UK spec front brake callipers

•UK spec front brake disks

•Goodridge braided bake lines

•OEM Uk spec rear callipers

•OEM Uk spec Rear disks and pads

Interior & ICE:

•Toucan Display

•Uprated speakers all round

•Recaro treadline seats

•Bride RO sub frames

•Toyota Celica steering wheel

•Pioneer mp3/ipod/bluetooth single din head unit

•Rear roll cage in gold

•custom signed airbag cover

Exterior:

•Uk spec bonnet

•OEM front bumper with MVP lip (Earless)

•OEM skirts and spats

•OEM facelift headlights

•LED facelift rear lights

•LED facelift indicator and sidelights

•OEM rear bumper

•Do-Luck 3D carbon wing

•OEM front wings

The guy i just spoke to even said for me to take pictures of everything and send it to them so they can then pass it on to the underwriter to see if they change their mind! As i tried explaining why i think it's a joke about the "club insurance" company not helping, he wasn't even listening and kept putting me on hold (you heard the click of the keypad) :angry::badmood:

The other companies i tried also gave me a 10% discount

Is that all you get from Sky?

I guess they have become complacent over the years, Traders have to put money towards the Club and get voted in or out by the members but Sky Insurance get a permanent place without doing anything?! Doesn't seem right to me.

Is that all you get from Sky?

I guess they have become complacent over the years, Traders have to put money towards the Club and get voted in or out by the members but sky get a permanent place without doing anything! Doesn't seem right.

I will be bringing it up with the mods on here about all this aswell, i personally think its a piss take! They claim to know the cars and the scene but yet they are saying a 6 speed big twins car with syvecs isn't worth more than £18.5k?!?! :blink:

I will be bringing it up with the mods on here about all this aswell, i personally think its a piss take! They claim to know the cars and the scene but yet they are saying a 6 speed big twins car with syvecs isn't worth more than £18.5k?!?! :blink:

You should have told them to find a car of that spec for sale at that price and come back to you. Definitely bring it up with the mods, if the Traders have to be voted in and out why should Sky get a free ride.

The major difference with Sky is that if there is a problem you can approach them and they will attempt to do something about it. If you find a cheaper quote then tell them and they will attempt to match it. If you have any problems you just phone them up and talk to them, they know the club, they know the cars, they generally know what they are talking about.

Sky were chosen not simply because they offered the lowest prices (because in a few cases they didn't) but because they offered the best cover for the best value and were willing to take an interest in the club. We have a few insurance skys setup unofficially from when I was in communication with loads of insurers trying to set up the club scheme, but Sky were the only ones interested in visiting the forum and offering advice to members when needed. They were also one of the very few at the time who would do agreed values.

I'm not saying Sky is for everyone. Insurance is a funny thing and one company will never be the cheapest for everyone. You should definitely check out some other companies when renewing but if you find it cheaper than Sky then let them know, even if you decide to go else where, as they can hardly be expected to be the best if they are not told where they are going wrong.

I'm not sure how much of this applies today?