The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are NA Auto's really that slow??

Big Supes

If you pick up a dog of a supra like I did, worn, not looked after and bring it back by FULLY servicing it, from fluids, worn parts, alignments, leads, plugs and all of that. Youll notice such a difference, the way it breathes and pulls, response etc. They are nippy and fun, pull well for a heavy car. More than enough for a what a daily needs to offer imo. Don't think ill ever go turbo.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

According to your reference, the NA Supra has the same 0-60 as a manual Honda NSX...

http://www.performance-car-guide.co.uk/performance-cars/honda-motor-company/honda-nsx.html

A car that has much more power, weighs less, and has the engine where you want it for fast acceleration.

Interestingly, the factory figure for the 252bhp auto NSX is 7.3 seconds, which I could believe is on a par with a manual NA Supra.

According to your reference, the NA Supra has the same 0-60 as a manual Honda NSX...

http://www.performance-car-guide.co.uk/performance-cars/honda-motor-company/honda-nsx.html

A car that has much more power, weighs less, and has the engine where you want it for fast acceleration.

Interestingly, the factory figure for the 252bhp auto NSX is 7.3 seconds, which I could believe is on a par with a manual NA Supra.

Who know what is the real time for nsx tho i think it is faster than that in real life... But my numbers were real and tested times, and they are in same ballbark as others in this book.

This book is a very good one. No need to talk bs, just read the facts:

http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-1982-1998-Performance-Portfolio-Brooklands/dp/1855206366

Factory figure for manual is 5.7

I had an NA auto, i felt it was slow but more so the boxes fault; 8s would seem about right to me although i never measured it. The manual should go better given iirc it has shorter gears but i wouldn't think it'd make it in 6s to 60 though. People measuring against the speedo is wrong given unknown accuracy of it, a good GPS would be better but there would be a delay there too.

Wow, well, this thread escalated quickly. :D

0-60 in the 6's?! That's amazing if it's true and something must be seriously up with the car. Abz, I'm going to take your advice buddy and see what it does. :)

Good man :thumbs:

Check out Mike's video, although manual it gives a good idea of what it should be capable of.

Also here are some NA auto speedo video's

Judging by those videos, I really should be expecting something around 8.5 seconds to 60. :)

That car in second video was quite a bit slower than the car in first vid which goes little over 7 sec. It would be a nice to know what exactly makes that difference. Old oil in autobox, bad spark plugs or old ignition parts? Fat chick vs skinny one? I'm just thinking in general how to maintain old car as well as possible.

Edit: And damn those gears are long.

Edited by LasseV (see edit history)

I sense a lot of frustration in this thread.

I dont have much experience with supras, so I am only going to talk about mine.

Its a SR-Z NA 1994. It had an engine transplant last year and was fitted with a very low mileage GE engine.

It is not very fast by any means, but its not slow either. definitelly the fastest car I have owned so far. The looks are so good that the fact you are not humiliating everything else on wheels can be a bit frustrating, but so far I havent been humiliated yet and I have been playing with a few big boys on the motorway recently (911, M5, R33). Having said that, I think they are also a bit intimidated by the looks and dont want to go all out and get humiliated. Anyway, I love it.

Having said that, Im going NA-T hopefully in 2016.

That car in second video was quite a bit slower than the car in first vid which goes little over 7 sec. It would be a nice to know what exactly makes that difference. Old oil in autobox, bad spark plugs or old ignition parts? Fat chick vs skinny one? I'm just thinking in general how to maintain old car as well as possible.

Edit: And damn those gears are long.

I have the first one a little over 8 secs, but either way, I have a good indication to go on. :)

Regarding NA Supra's... personally, I think a Supra is Supra. Some people aren't all about speed. The NA's sound great, look great and, yeah, they also drive great. :thumbs:

This thread is merely to see if the car has any issue as it definitely feels unpowered.

I have the first one a little over 8 secs, but either way, I have a good indication to go on. :)

Regarding NA Supra's... personally, I think a Supra is Supra. Some people aren't all about speed. The NA's sound great, look great and, yeah, they also drive great. :thumbs:

This thread is merely to see if the car has any issue as it definitely feels unpowered.

Totally agree with this Adam, my first Supra was an NA and I thought it was fine, it's not comparable to a BPU TT but it was still good fun and got as many looks as all the other Supras.

Just noticed, I'm going to have to change my avitar picture now.

Totally agree with this Adam, my first Supra was an NA and I thought it was fine, it's not comparable to a BPU TT but it was still good fun and got as many looks as all the other Supras.

Same here Bob and I adored my last Supra just as much as the current one. :thumbs:

Just noticed, I'm going to have to change my avitar picture now.

:D

Make sure you get the doggy back in the picture next time though. :)

Mine pulls well, the launch is ok once in 2nd it goes very well I followed two TTs yes they pulled away from me but I could follow them once it got going. Autos will always be slower less HP and a big auto box, but you should still enjoy it. You don't drive it much that doesn't help a car as stated above are your brakes binding. Mine spent two years in a garage,the brakes where fine I use it everyday now and it has improved and goes well now. Drive it more.