The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Current average price of a stock-ish UK TT6

Guest TheRedViper

No no, the Turbos on them wher better put together on the UK

Its just a thing, cant quiet explain it, prefering a Jap import, the main reason for me prefering Jap Supras is facelift and the newer years

Im sure ther are very well kept uk supras though

But they will be scarce

Funny how when challenged on what are assumptions about UK spec supras people change their tune.

There are plenty of jspecs that have seen many uk winters now but how many people use their supra year after year in the winter? I know I don't.

Discounting any car without viewing it or simply by it being a UK spec doesn't make sense to me.

My car is 20 years old and had the arches rolled last week. The member on here who did it said it was very clean and the arches were so solid it was hard going working on them.

Some people look after what they have. I would also argue a UK spec is LESS likely to have a body kit etc on it as people know they are more valuable as close to stock as possible and try and preserve their value, which if people continually talk down will have a false negative effect. People that buy them know their worth ;)

Funny how when challenged on what are assumptions about UK spec supras people change their tune.

There are plenty of jspecs that have seen many uk winters now but how many people use their supra year after year in the winter? I know I don't.

Discounting any car without viewing it or simply by it being a UK spec doesn't make sense to me.

My car is 20 years old and had the arches rolled last week. The member on here who did it said it was very clean and the arches were so solid it was hard going working on them.

Some people look after what they have. I would also argue a UK spec is LESS likely to have a body kit etc on it as people know they are more valuable as close to stock as possible and try and preserve their value, which if people continually talk down will have a false negative effect. People that buy them know their worth ;)

I had seen a few poor uk specs in my time, but iv also seen some poor Jap specs too!

The body kit thing is probably true, but at the same time too, you can get some really up to date years from Japan

Or the VVTi engine, some people say its worse too some think its better!

It is actually a much of muchness though!

But less spec older UK TT's going for more cash, than newer Jspec counter parts, is madness!

The years is for me a real disapointment for the UK's

Even though i know it really means nothing too, simply how well thev been looked after is what counts!

My old 96 Jspec was trash, so that shows me!

Which is why I said fresh import. :)

There are some very clean Supras in the UK, UK spec and import. There are also plenty of horrors around. A fresh import is much less likely to have any rust underneath.

Facelifts definitely had a few cost cutting measures/parts whilst looking better and having more modern colours. Quality wise/strength wise (big diff) an early manual is still top of the tree I think.

But it's all relative, nearly all Supra's are in better shape than other cars of their age and the spec differences are pretty minor......condition is all as has been said above many times.

The facelift cars had different diffs, suspension arms etc in an effort to save weight. But the 'weaker' facelift parts are still good for 700hp+, so they're not exactly weak. :D The facelift boot release is a PITA, and they do have some trim issues, such as the inner door handle trim lifting. But, the facelift dash panels are higher quality and much better looking than the pre facelift equivalents.

Facelifts definitely had a few cost cutting measures/parts whilst looking better and having more modern colours. Quality wise/strength wise (big diff) an early manual is still top of the tree I think.

But it's all relative, nearly all Supra's are in better shape than other cars of their age and the spec differences are pretty minor......condition is all as has been said above many times.

Im curious about this, iv heard this before about cost cutting, and lesser quality

What exactly did they skimp out on?

my RZ is loaded with Every option available bar the removable roof!

Its a car - whats the big deal.

I owned my Jspec for 10 years and drove it everyday regardless of weather. Was well maintained - regularly undersealed - etc. nothing to worry about.

it's the accountant bean counter effect, little (normally inconsequential) things

Facelift NA's have no oil level sensor just a bung in the sump.

Engine mounts are comparatively rubbish and cheaper (it wasn't like the early mounts were poor and this was a necessary redesign it was a definite cost cutting change)

Oil dipstick is just a thin metal blade and yellow hoop - pre facelift get a twisted wire with nice low to high cross hatched section and top t piece (like I say inconsequential but proves pennies were trying to be saved here and there)

Abs system change I think 4 channel to 3 but not 100% on this and never noticed a performance drop between the two.

Thin radiators (again no performance deficit really just the early ones were ott and money could be saved)

I 'think' no padding on the engine undertray - not sure it's definitely a facelift thing this one

Rear hatch mechanism (facelifts tend not to release fully by the in car lever - again never a problem in the old cars so I suspect a cost cutting design change)

I sure there were little chassis additions to the facelift for added stiffness so it's not like they weren't trying to improve, just that an eye was being kept on the purse strings.

it's the accountant bean counter effect, little (normally inconsequential) things

Facelift NA's have no oil level sensor just a bung in the sump.

Engine mounts are comparatively rubbish and cheaper (it wasn't like the early mounts were poor and this was a necessary redesign it was a definite cost cutting change)

Oil dipstick is just a thin metal blade and yellow hoop - pre facelift get a twisted wire with nice low to high cross hatched section and top t piece (like I say inconsequential but proves pennies were trying to be saved here and there)

Abs system change I think 4 channel to 3 but not 100% on this and never noticed a performance drop between the two.

Thin radiators (again no performance deficit really just the early ones were ott and money could be saved)

I 'think' no padding on the engine undertray - not sure it's definitely a facelift thing this one

Rear hatch mechanism (facelifts tend not to release fully by the in car lever - again never a problem in the old cars so I suspect a cost cutting design change)

I sure there were little chassis additions to the facelift for added stiffness so it's not like they weren't trying to improve, just that an eye was being kept on the purse strings.

Really interesting, il try spot these differences on mine!

plus Jap Imports always tend to come with the magic 60K Miles on the clock...truly magical for a 20+ year old car. :)

Its a fair point, my car is a Japanese import that had 22k miles after two years. I'd take these claims of 20 year Supras and 60k miles for fresh jap imports with a skip load of salt.

J Spec TT6's are running around £12k now and UK ones tend to be more like £15k on higher, probably more genuine, mileage. Just as well I've kept all 16 MOT certificates for my car!