The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boring mpg thread - 300 miles on half a tank?

gordy.r

Things I do are check the tyre pressures on a regular basis on any car I own.

On an older mkiv i'd be checking to see if i'd got any brake calipers that are sticking/seizing.

It's easily done after you've been for a drive by placing the back of your hand up close to the wheel

and seeing if any of the wheels feel obviously hotter than the others.

I had a rear caliper on my UK spec start to seize and you couldn't really tell when driving the car

but it started to affect the mpg.

This. The caliper sticking catches you out easily, until it gets really bad and starts to knock at speed.

It really depends how your driving the 50 miles and what kind of driving it is, stop start local driving is never going to get you

into the mid to high 20's

Bit of both really, only real long journey I had was when I bought it in January, got about 260miles out of a full tank of V-Power. I think it needs the injectors, o2 sensors cleaned or replaced and new tyres on the front as they seem to let go of a few PSI over the course of 3-4 weeks.

But that being said I did use the loud pedal a little bit. Out of interest, is auto or manual mode more efficient?

Maybe your supra is jealous of your Prius Gordy! Think it might be trying to compete! ;)

Most I've got is just over 400 miles to a uk tank (80 litres btw, not 70) on a run upto Skye.

Usually I'd get about 320 miles to a tank.

Yep I've edited my post, my memories not what it used to be :(

Yep I've edited my post, my memories not what it used to be :(

It confused me when first filling up from the light going on because it takes about 70 litres to fill. The reserve after the light is 10 litres so the more you chance it runing with the light on the closer to 80 you can get in.

Well to confirm, I was driving at 70, needle definitely not stuck as I emptied the other half of the tank in 60 miles with some 'spirited' driving lol.

I find that the first half of the tank always takes longer than the second half no matter what style of driving etc Dont know if this is common across the range???

I generally see between 250-300 miles from a full tank, and regularly top up £20-£30 and empty it around the 50-60 mile mark when going for an evening or weekend sprint.

It was just the first time I'd seen that sort of mileage from half a tank, normal service will resume immediately haha :)