The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rev 2k then back to 500 repeat

Jellybean

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it show at the sensor? An analogue meter (one with a needle) is better for reading things like that, the latency in a digital meter makes many do strange things with rapidly fluctuating voltages into them. You might want to check the sensor is getting a good vac signal, and the pipe(s) and hose T's to it are not cracked, blocked or leaking, same for the "Sputnik" damper screwed into the plenum.

Did you say it has no FCD? I think the fuel cut raising or removal is done by the modded ECU, correct?

Yet to see a dead or faulty MAP sensor on a *JZ.

If you have a vacuum gauge (in the sixties *EVERYONE* had one of those, for checking stuff). T it into the MAP sensor hose.

At the sensor I am getting 0 volts, cannot get any reading

Took off the sensor , looks good , Sputnik, no blockages , all vacuum lines are new , on a few weeks, she was working fine post fitting the new lines

Put sensor back on , still 0 volts, reset ecu plugged loom back into the sensor , engine on, car idles more stable after the ecu is reset for a min or two, rechecked voltage at ecu on the stable idle, got 1.44v consistently but still 0 volts at the sensor

Fcd is incorporated into the modded ecu via a rom chip

No vacuum guage unfortunately

There are 3 wires to the MAP sensor. One should be ECU ground, one should be %V reference from the ECU. The third will be whatever voltage the sensor outputs, dependent upon the vac / pressure signal to the nipple. That "signal" wire goes to the ecu. You need black lead of meter on the ground wire at the MAP sensor, and the red one on the signal wire. Your wire colour codes will probably differ from the illustration, but the pin locations should be identical. HTH.

It was the signal wire I tested

Pin 62 turbo pressure sensor , black yellow wire

Voltage was 1.64 for a few seconds, then fluctuates a lot around 0.3,0,35 then to zero, might spike to 1.64/1.63 , engine on idle

Car is overfueling now in idle, stopped rpm hunting

I can't see how you see volts on the signal wire at the ECU but not at the signal wire on the sensor. The signal wire from the sensor is what delivers the volts to the signal pin on the ECU. If the ECU was receiving bizarre or no volts it would flag a fault code I would think.

You are testing with the ECU and MAP sensor both plugged in,aren't you?

You need to back probe the connector, use something like a straightened paper clip or thick needle. Don't short anything out... You can get proper needle probes for the meter, but they are dear for what they are. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hantek-Back-Pinning-Probes-Needle-Piercing-Probes-Set-l-/201380859284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee33c0d94

Some people use T pins, including myself.

http://www.spoiltrottenbeads.co.uk/Pack-of-10-T-Pins-for-Macrame-Boards-p302368.html?gclid=CNCCvquiycYCFayWtAodFxcNvw

Thanks , maybe I just don't comprehend but I would is taught my voltage should be around 2.6 mark at idle

I really cannot not think of what else would cause her to over fuel

depends on what you pull on vacuum , off the top of my head I pull -466 so that would/should give me 1.78 v

which is pritty close to what you have and depending on how they control the boost cut on you ecu it may will be scaled .

you havent messed around with anything near the injector conections have you ? when I changed my injectors i had a boost sort of cut issue which turnt out to be a injector plug with a bad connection same thing as the coil pack clips have

If your MAP sensor signal voltage is on the low side it would run leaner.

I do NOT recommend you try this, but you can inject a voltage into the ECU to simulate the MAP sensor signal, but I really don't think the MAP sensor is (now??) your issue. Maybe a bad connection has come good with fiddling about?

I once spent 2 days finding a bad pin connector in the ECU plug on a member's car. It had been to 6 other garages with no fix, so I didn't feel too bad about the bill.

I felt even better when a drinking pal's Ford Focus diesel spent months in and out of Ford main dealers with nearly every sensor renewed, the injectors renewed, the metering unit renewed and a new ECU fitted before they found a dodgy intermittent ECU plug contact. Luckily it was under warranty. It would just cut out and die, usually hundreds of miles from home with a load of expensive gear in the back.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I am thinking a doggy connection myself, that I may of fixed unaware

Was also thinking of testing the coolant temp sensor , seems to be a common thing to check too , as well as the map sensor

Mellonman- this is what confuses me, nothing was touched to warrant these issues , just put on new billet aux wheels and crank pulley, new belt ; car was running fantastic prior to the crank pulley giving up

She seems ok now , still a little rich but maybe due to the ecu reset

Small hesitation in turbo 2 transition , she might just need a good run

Looks like it was a wiring issue , must of been me in the passenger seat pressing on the ecu cover, maybe it was snagged on a wire

hows your heater matrix ? could of leaked coolent on the ecu connections did they feel oily at all?

How did the crank fail with a mass of mess or just your heard is do the squeek thing .

must admit it is an odd one but does sound like a connection issue , could be temp sensor thats sort of new the water pump could of caught it ptting the belt on ?

The ECU reset really really isn't as traumatic as people make out. It won't drop to 300(!) rpm because of it, or hunt, or do anything really - it's hard to notice any change on first key-on.

There is a guide on here for refurbing your ECU pins, try that horrible job, it worked for me years ago :)