The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mkii MR2 whats it like?

ShawnPreece

That looks nice mate, very tidy :) what kind of rough figures do they get on the strip?

My best 1/4 was 13.00secs @ 109mph at Santa Pod. Car was running approx 300bhp with basic upgrades... (Hybrid CT26 turbo from Turbo Technics running 1.2 bar on an Apexi AVCR BC, GReddy intercooler, Mongoose exhaust, Apexi cone filter, Cusco LSD, RPS clutch etc.)

My best 1/4 was 13.00secs @ 109mph at Santa Pod. Car was running approx 300bhp with basic upgrades... (Hybrid CT26 turbo from Turbo Technics running 1.2 bar on an Apexi AVCR BC, GReddy intercooler, Mongoose exhaust, Apexi cone filter, Cusco LSD, RPS clutch etc.)

Wow, thats a good time mate

In a lot of ways I found the MR2 a better car than the Supra. They are amazing machines but I doubt they would be particularly suited to your needs at it was always the raw aspect of the MR2 that I took a shine to.

In comparison to a Supra the MR2 handles a lot sharper, as you would expect, but I always found the Supra easier to handle on the limit....... to the point where I never actually found the limit in the MR2. It seemed to be on rails, I would push it harder and harder on a corner and it would just turn..... the only exception to this was when I bottled it, lifted off the accelerator and spun.. lots. Amazing cars when, as already stated, they are set up correctly.

My car came with 18s, it was horrible. I switched to some very light weight 17s and the difference was night and day. Going down to the 15/16" wheel size would be even better for compliant handling but the 17s were the perfect compromise for me.

I ran it as a daily for years, I had very little issues with the car and my Wife then ran it as a daily. It's not particularly comfortable, it's not particularly good on fuel..... it is a complete weapon though so it all depends what you are after.

For reference, an MR2 will see similar 1/4 mile times at 100hp less than the equivalent Supra. 0-60 and 1/4 mile at 300hp in an MR2 is pretty much identical to the Supra at 400hp.

Edit:

Almost forgot....

http://www.mkivsuprastar.com/Pics/OtherCars/MR2/725fa5789351f19d2b20d4df598aa963.jpg

http://www.mkivsuprastar.com/Pics/OtherCars/MR2/8d392b197d7d8e5737a84df3b6feb3f2.jpg

Like many mid engined cars front end grip is governed a lot by having suitable front tyres, when they were new they came with a bespoke Jap radial, but I can't remember the make and type. Some tyres are just not suitable and the front will be "odd". Lowering them without attention to maintaining the correct roll centre height with mods to the uprights give massive roll centre movement and camber change in bump, extension and roll, and they just become total dogs. There were spacers available for the uprights and the track rod ends to correct this, or they could be made. I did one years ago and it transformed a lowered turbo model from dangerous to delightful. Expensive though.

I always used T1-r's on mine (once I took the 18" wheels with the ditch finders off). They were brilliant for grip but they were fairly soft and didn't last very long. All with stock suspension though, the MR2... for me at least..... was low enough.