The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual conversion parts are almost ready.

HadeS

Believe it's about £2k Marc

Plus propshaft, pedals, clutch slave. Tunnel alterations? When you take all these things into account, plus labor, and include the difference in value between this and a V160/V161 equipped car, I can't see how it makes financial sense.

1.4k isnt bad like 2k is a touch steep if it is as high as that, the gearbox is only a few hundred quid the prop will be cheap aswell if the boxes are so cheap, it will need modifying like its goona come in under 2.5k which is about 2k cheaper than most manual conversions go for, defintley food for thought, I personally will only be doing a manual conversion if i go decide to go single for definate

Plus propshaft, pedals, clutch slave. Tunnel alterations? When you take all these things into account, plus labor, and include the difference in value between this and a V160/V161 equipped car, I can't see how it makes financial sense.

I see what you mean however I'm sure it still works out cheaper than a 6 speed conversion. Furthermore a replacement box is about a tenth of the price of a v160. Whilst the v160's are strong there are members who have broken them. With a BMW box you could buy a few spare while their cheap and not worry too much should it ever fail.

I see what you mean however I'm sure it still works out cheaper than a 6 speed conversion. Furthermore a replacement box is about a tenth of the price of a v160. Whilst the v160's are strong there are members who have broken them. With a BMW box you could buy a few spare while their cheap and not worry too much should it ever fail.

Yes, the only advantage IMO is the cheaper replacement boxes. But Most people with V160's haven't had any issues at all. Their reputation for being bombproof is deserved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
But the problem is that you can´t use the ABC-Kit for the GS6-53DZ gearboxes.

The pilot bearing is in the input shaft and not on the flywheel like normal.

And the 53DZ is the strongest box from BMW.

Actually, some of these had the spigot bearing in the flywheel, not all of them were in the input shaft. I think it is the earlier e60/61 models that still used a flywheel mounted bearing from what I can see.

• 1 year later...

hey, I'm looking to use this box on my supra now, do you know if the tunnel accepts the box with a 20mm spacer plate on the back of the 2j engine block in a mkiv? I don't want to bash out my tunnel with a hammer as that's rough

I'm more than capable to have the prop made, gearbox mount made, shifter rear mount made etc, just curious about actual box fitment in the chassis

I'm planning to use the GS6-53DZ 6 speed with a stock bmw sachs clutch for daily use just now then eventually move onto the pmc kit with triple plate tilton clutch kit when I fit my gte engine