The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK vs J-Spec TT - owners opinions

ellis

Seriously fella you'd be happy with either model, you just need to go look at some examples, of both kinds, decide on what spec you actually desire and why, then go find cars that match :)

Cheers mate - will do! Seeing DBR's on Thursday (UK TT) so will take it from there.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I challange you to go ride with someone like AttilaUK or AJI in their Supras around tracks and see if they feel slow to you :)

You havent seen the way i drive yet and i'm only on stock boost :p Wouldn't feel slow around a track goin balls out, just talkin about general response day-to-day driving

Hey ppl, I just got my Supra today :) Jap spec TT manual.

Its totally bog standard apart from the wheels and in a real good condition.

One question, whats my BHP? one dealer said its only 240, and the one i bought it off said 326!

you are probably round about 300bhp

im a uk fan myself............

the turbos may be steel, but this is a bonus as far as im concerned, there bigger turb's (i think) an there alot more durable (stronger).

you have a far better chance of getting a genuine car with genuine mileage an serv. hist (of coarse which is essential on these cars)

then the other small thing............... in my case and im sure in many others, uk spec insurance is alomost half the porice of j-spec

unless you get top model j-spec, you wont get, heated seats, active bonnet vent, active front spoiler, 326bhp as standard oh and the big brakes :D

Of coarse each to there own though..... this is just my opinion ;)

What was trying to say was that you'll find that nearly all TT JDM Supra's - irrespective of their model - RZ, RZ-S, GZ - the BHP figure of those stock models are relative to a UK stock model.

It's a gentleman's agreement in Japan amongst the likes of Toyota, Nissan, Mitibushi etc that a car will not exceed 280BHP (or some figure like that).

When in actual fact, that agreement isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Not slow but sluggish in comparison to a j-spec. Not a lot like, wouldn't of a UK if it felt that much more laggy. Don't think there's much argument that the j-spec spools quicker and therefore *feels* a bit more responsive (or is there?)

And the car's ok for now, could do with a clean though :D

Don't think there's much argument that the j-spec spools quicker and therefore *feels* a bit more responsive (or is there?)

Im not disputing that, but it certainly doesnt feel sluggish. :giveup: Sadly for me the majority of J specs Ive been in were all decat and running about 1.2 bar, do those will never appear to be slow! ;)

Anyway, Im very happy with mine and Im sure you are yours :)

Not slow but sluggish in comparison to a j-spec. Not a lot like, wouldn't of a UK if it felt that much more laggy. Don't think there's much argument that the j-spec spools quicker and therefore *feels* a bit more responsive (or is there?)

Totally agree with you (though 'sluggish' is a bit strong)! I've driven many UK and Jspec cars in various levels of tune - the jspec cars *feel* faster than UK's, but this is due to the quicker spool. Outright power, there's not much difference between Stock/BPU versions of both. The UK feels like it has a bit more top end, the Jap one, more mid-range.

The suspension though is a big difference. The UK is comfortable, but is far less inspiring than the Jap ones (only ever driven ones with the yellow Bilsteins).

Im not disputing that, but it certainly doesnt feel sluggish. :giveup: Sadly for me the majority of J specs Ive been in were all decat and running about 1.2 bar, do those will never appear to be slow! ;)

Anyway, Im very happy with mine and Im sure you are yours :)

lol i know what you mean mate, sluggish isn't the best word to use but i can't think of anything else lol.

A boost controller like a blitz dbc should have either set of turbo's singing up a bit quicker. For simple upping of the boost a J-spec is simpler to do isn't it? Its all well and good blabbering on about top BHP figures. In the real world that doesn't really count for much. Its how steep your power curve is that counts. Mine is putting out stock boost from not alot above 1500 RPM and is pushing out 1.2 bar by 2500 RPM. Also the torque curve has alot to do with accelerative ability. High torque engines are less affected by weight as well.

... active bonnet vent...

What's one of those then? Sounds like a good feature, an active bonnet vent! :music:

The whole UK vs Jspec thing always runs and runs. For me for example the facelift pre-VVTi RZ is the best variant. You get Recaros, better suspension, uprated ABS, a better dash, better looking front and rear lights, no ugly side indicator repeaters in the wing and a newer car with lower milage than you can get on a UK spec. Oh, and big brakes and wheels as standard. Others like the bonnet vent and heated seats on the UK. Bottom line is treat each car individually.

I have to say that after owning my last car that had some turbo lag (a normal amount) the j-spec car is a really refreshing change, it's so damn good it almost doesn't feel like a turbo car the boost is always very immediate.

For prolonged acceleration this isn't going to buy you much. For spirited driving on the road (or round a track) where you are on and off the throttle a lot, this is worth quite a bit IMHO! That instant response has got to be worth a few bhp. Would imagine it really needs that manual box to fully apprecaite it though.

As others have said, drive both types, treat each car on its own merits and you can't go wrong. You're going to have more choice from the JDM market and there are some really nice ones coming over now.

...- ceramic turbos, better lower end grunt, lightning quick! ...

it spools a bit faster yes (turbos have smaller A/R, gearing is a bit shorter and weight is a bit down),

UK has steel turbos, take longer to spool up, not as fast in real world. ...

I must be living in an unreal world then :cry:

In the real world, once you start running high boost the ceramic turbines tend to detach themselves from the shafts and fly off the exhaust. How cool is that?

I'd have leather seats over cloth any day, and glass headlights over yellowing plastic every night :p

If you go for JSpec, try and go for a new one (mileage figure is a bit irrelevant since a big chunk of the history stayed back in Japan) and one with UK-spec brakes at least.

On the 'minus' side UKSpec cars may have salt damage, fecking intercooler and all rads in general. The rear-diff cooler may start leaking as well, which is never a problem with a JSpec. Neither is the second transmission cooler, lol...

Just try and compare a good example of either, they both have pros and cons ;)