The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on buying a modded 6sp big single Supra?

HoddyRS

I saw this Tony and thought WTF?!

I think it would be great to ring them up and sound like you are genuinely interested. Then if you can get them to agree to meet for a viewing (which is unlikely I know) show up in your Sup and then give them a bit of a 'talking to'. Mind you, there's a small chance that the scammer might be a Mike Tyson clone and that probably wouldn't end well lol

The Rotary engines are fantastic in their own right, but they belong on a race track. They're too demanding and intolerant for regular mixed use on the road. (I didn't say weak or unreliable, as that really isn't the case, IF they are meticulously maintained and used.)

I saw this Tony and thought WTF?!

I think it would be great to ring them up and sound like you are genuinely interested. Then if you can get them to agree to meet for a viewing (which is unlikely I know) show up in your Sup and then give them a bit of a 'talking to'. Mind you, there's a small chance that the scammer might be a Mike Tyson clone and that probably wouldn't end well lol

I Have called the number mate each time it's been advertised but the woman on the end of the phone claims to know nothing about it.

The Rotary engines are fantastic in their own right, but they belong on a race track. They're too demanding and intolerant for regular mixed use on the road. (I didn't say weak or unreliable, as that really isn't the case, IF they are meticulously maintained and used.)

They're better when held at constant revs for periods of time, like in aeroplanes - where they were designed for in the first place! I would be surprised to see more range extender cars using them either. That's a fascinating idea. Small engines don't weigh a lot, which throws up some interesting ideas in terms of packaging.

The FD RX-7 has a torque frame joining the differential case to the back of the gearbox. When you fit other engines this is deleted and it becomes necessary to find a means of mounting the front of the diff casing to the bodyshell. the methods I have seen put huge unexpected loads into the floor pan, and I have heard of several cases of the sheet metal floor cracking up under the torque loads. If the car had a full cage fitted these loads could be fed into the cage and spread around several mounting points. That would be a far more satisfactory way of dealing with this issue.

The rotary is pretty bullet proof as an N/A, but still has big problems when it comes to silencing an N/A, especially to track day usage levels, and cooling the thing, as it's so inefficient with huge combustion to water way areas. Silencing is probably the reason so few are now in UK race cars as N/A's. Even the memory of sports prototypes with unsilenced N/A's at UK race circuits in the early seventies make my ears hurt, they are unbelievably loud, especially peripherally ported, which is the only way to get big power.