The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kit Car: DDR GT Build Thread

Whitesupraboy2

I see what you mean.

How about the venting that is on the original to break up the surface?

http://finemodelcars.com/hi-res/hi_res_store/2013/jan/mclaren%20f1/Amalgam%20Mclaren%20F1%201-8%20HR%20(3).JPG

I'm putting a couple of vents in but being one large fibreglass clam shell I cant afford to weaken it too much. Its all been a bit of a compromise based on the bodyshops recommendation. I decided no point haven't it looking great if the first time I open it the paint cracks. Fingers crossed it looks ok, worst case is wing comes back off I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been in the bodywork shop for a few weeks now and its getting there. Being fully fibreglass all shutlines wont be perfect which is a bit annoying, but the main door ones will be in important areas. The front shut line is slightly more open on purpose.

As well as this although ill have the spoiler work done it wont be mounted incase i like the spoilerless look.

I thibk the spolier in the picture really fdesnt suit the car. but this is such a great build :) i had one of these as a model car in its box when i was 5 my first ever model car. always loved the lines of this car. i think it should stay spoilerless :)

maybe some vents like the original to break the back up or a drag style spoiler.

I thibk the spolier in the picture really fdesnt suit the car. but this is such a great build :) i had one of these as a model car in its box when i was 5 my first ever model car. always loved the lines of this car. i think it should stay spoilerless :)

maybe some vents like the original to break the back up or a drag style spoiler.

The spoiler will be chopped a bit, so the curved ends removed and i think also the legs removed. Then two universal metal legs added but closer together on the lower part.

Either way the bodyshop had a good point, drilling a hole to add a spoiler is easy, filling again and matching the paint is not.

Nice build story! Could the fluid reservoirs not go under the instrument cowl inside the car somehow, to give height, yet allow a fully closed bonnet?

If only. As part of the test the reservoirs must be able to have their level checked and refilled if required in their current position. Whilst at the test and failing on the reservoirs we had many discussions including having the reservoirs on a clip so they could be lifted out the bonnet to filled up and having a higher point and then clipped back in. So they called VOSA head office and was deemed unacceptable.

I take it now it's passed you can do what you want and put them back down below, or elsewhere though? ;)

very true ;)

They may be on movable brackets but I can neither confirm or deny that.

If they were for instance then the hole could be appropriately meshed and ducted to aid cabin cooling following the bodywork. As well as the roof rally vent within the roof scoop which is also functional vent to the rear engine bay.

All in theory Chris :D

Oooooh. I've been thinking about a new project. I enjoyed my build, but it was such a long time ago now. Looks very interesting.

Is it all you thought about when building it...or was that just me!! Lost a few hours just staring at it.

On plus side the bodyshop has managed to sort out what i believed would be the compromises....no longer compromises which is good.

Is it all you thought about when building it...or was that just me!! Lost a few hours just staring at it.

It did become all consuming, so much so I had to take a break for a few months. :D

Thankfully there was a very active club and helpful people giving me advice all the way, so I never got too stuck - even though I was way out of my depth at the time.

I looked this car up and it seems to be an American kit? Is their a UK distie?

I also saw a website from someone very disgruntled and suing DDR Motorsport - http://www.miami-gt.com

Really does look something special and I love the uniqueness of it.

It did become all consuming, so much so I had to take a break for a few months. :D

Thankfully there was a very active club and helpful people giving me advice all the way, so I never got too stuck - even though I was way out of my depth at the time.

I looked this car up and it seems to be an American kit? Is their a UK distie?

I also saw a website from someone very disgruntled and suing DDR Motorsport - http://www.miami-gt.com

Really does look something special and I love the uniqueness of it.

No Uk company division and is purely the American side. The disgruntled customer was around when I ordered. A few of the extra complaints from 'others' on his site didn't make sense when I was google searching. So I still went ahead... However I was going to Orlando and drove the 6hrs in the worst rain I've ever experienced down to Miami to see the factory and guys. Not much differen to a small UK kit car firm, just a couple of guys etc... Saw the orange car and went out in the green car. As well as this I'm in touch with a guy in New Zealand who bought one at same time but is dropping in a Mercedes v12 amg engine... Nutter

It's what made me go for it was the good looks and how different it was and I felt I could tone it down to how I wanted. I will say it's not like a UK kit as effectively your left to your own devices other than knowing the donor car as they can never build or keep up with UK regs. I did do a much more detailed blog then this thread. Stu has plenty of night time reading to do :-D

I love some abuse and I missed it. What was it, small penis? If so could they stop spying on me in the shower, cheers :D

Haha I don't work with the most creative people so it was just 'this forum is sh#t'

I spend quite a bit of my shift browsing the site so they think I'm a bit sad,

On a separate note, enjoying following the build, will be great when it's finished

• 2 weeks later...