The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brand New Genuine V161 6 Speed Toyota Gearbox Price and Stockist....

MattP

Tractive were talking of an uprated similar style box for big torque engines. maybe theyt never proceeded. For sure, a sequential dog box would be terrible in a road car, but I did say for "track cars" ;) Are you putting dog box interrnals in a W58 case? Who does those, the Aussie people PPG? I'd have thought the gear C/L spacing was a bit marginal in that case. I think PPG do semi helical internals for the Getrag 6 speed.

Sorry I meant need a R154 not a W58, After a while of debating and speaking with other companies, I have decided to go with the Quaife 69G for the box as it seems the only one which will handling the sort of power I have. They (Quaife) also do a kit now where you get the 69G box, the R154 bellhousing adapter plate and input shaft extender.

All I need to do is get a lunched R154, nick the bellhousing and clutch release system, get a 1JZ flywheel, clutch, starter motor and a new custom rear prop and we "should be singing"

Be real careful with Quaife, they are notorious for doing small runs of internals, then when you need a spare XYZ they quote months and months lead times, or plain can't supply as the run wasn't a success and they don't do any more. The Trust / Quaife box was a prime example. Not trying to worry you, but I have had people with otherwise good good Trust `boxes but can't use it `cos they can't get a replacement "whatever". Test them out by getting someone to ask for a few spare bits! A box with no second gear is as much use as no box at all ;)

Be real careful with Quaife, they are notorious for doing small runs of internals, then when you need a spare XYZ they quote months and months lead times, or plain can't supply as the run wasn't a success and they don't do any more. The Trust / Quaife box was a prime example. Not trying to worry you, but I have had people with otherwise good good Trust `boxes but can't use it `cos they can't get a replacement "whatever". Test them out by getting someone to ask for a few spare bits! A box with no second gear is as much use as no box at all ;)

Cheers Chris I will see if I can get some spare parts info.

• 3 weeks later...
If you already have a Getrag box v160 v161 and its not to far gone it's probably more cost effective going the jacks route.

Yes my gearbox is fine, but considering my build spec I rather have it completely checked over for peace of mind, luckily I have a good friend who runs courier company.

Yes my gearbox is fine, but considering my build spec I rather have it completely checked over for peace of mind, luckily I have a good friend who runs courier company.

I wonder how much effect that whole micro polishing they charge extra for has on the feel of the box..

Micro polishing the gears would not alter the feel of a gearbox at all, as they all (save reverse) constantly meshed. it could reduce fatigue failure though. Are they talking of gear polishing or something else? The Yanks love micro polishing stuff ;)

I have no idea what it is or what they do Chris I'm too lazy for all that manual stuff haha

I just noticed they offered it and hoped somone like yourself would pop up and explain it :)