The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bad day, some thing knocking in idle.

Reyft

It's an automatic isn't it? If so does the noise stop or change when you put it in "D"? If it does stop or change radically it suggests a loose flex plate or torque converter.

Yes Chris it is auto gearbox, i think same as you maybe noise come from flywheel or Torgue converter, but i haven't try anything yet, i'm upset about it so that way i start gym!!

So i afraid to start it up, but i have to start for 3 sec then try gears if makes any different..

It is happened in idle so should not big end!!

Thank you for idea :)

Edited by Reyft (see edit history)

Not wanting to get your hopes up, and it's very hard to really tell from a video, but the sound is deep and damped, like a heavy, fluid filled torque converter that's not secure to the flex plate, or flex plate to crankshaft. Hopefully, if it's flex plate to crankshaft, the crank threads are not yet damaged! Good luck, I'd be going to the pub, not the gym, myself :)

stupid question but its not the turbo is it? sounds very similar to the tell tail signs of when the ct26 on the 3sgte shafts allows turbine to housing interference.

Would be an easy thing to check and rule out mate

Tim

I recorded the audio and scoped it out, it's very regular, 15 times a second so 900rpm, i.e. idle speed. Doubtful a loose turbo shaft would act so predictably.

ok fair point, it has to be something rhythmic internally in the block then and as chris says you can hear a compression issue on cranking.

Personally i'd compression test it and go from there. tests will take 5 mins and atleast give you an idea if the engines coming apart or not.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...