The mkiv Supra Owners Club

plasti dipped supra.

walkerstrider

Its a good job that we don't all have the same tastes and it's obvious that what appeals to one person certainly doesn't to another, but isn't that human nature?

Different people want different things from their Supras/cars, some like to have lots of bling and shine whilst others dare to be a bit different and put their own stamp on their car. I would have thought that someone who customised and personalised their car to such an extent as you did Skippyboyo would appreciate that tbh. Not that you didn't make a good job of it, you did, it was exceptional in part. To say it looks horrible, should be at least followed with 'IMO' as we all have different targets. budgets, objectives and tastes.

Like wrapping, plasti dipping is only ever going to be a cover up and not a substitute for a full re-spray, but the good thing about it is that it is not permanent, provides an instant colour change and doesn't have to cost the earth, it probably costs less than some on here pay on having their cars detailed each year. And, if you have the balls and inclination to do it yourself you can, rather than relying on someone else.

Fair play to the OP and for doing it. I am sure if certain other members decided it was a good idea and had their cars dipped then there would be a trend of dipping within months.

Its a good job that we don't all have the same tastes and it's obvious that what appeals to one person certainly doesn't to another, but isn't that human nature?

Different people want different things from their Supras/cars, some like to have lots of bling and shine whilst others dare to be a bit different and put their own stamp on their car. I would have thought that someone who customised and personalised their car to such an extent as you did Skippyboyo would appreciate that tbh. Not that you didn't make a good job of it, you did, it was exceptional in part. To say it looks horrible, should be at least followed with 'IMO' as we all have different targets. budgets, objectives and tastes.

Like wrapping, plasti dipping is only ever going to be a cover up and not a substitute for a full re-spray, but the good thing about it is that it is not permanent, provides an instant colour change and doesn't have to cost the earth, it probably costs less than some on here pay on having their cars detailed each year. And, if you have the balls and inclination to do it yourself you can, rather than relying on someone else.

Fair play to the OP and for doing it. I am sure if certain other members decided it was a good idea and had their cars dipped then there would be a trend of dipping within months.

I concur! :D

Ive seen metallic colours on ebay. Is that rubbish? As i was thinking of doing my daily civic in metalic grey instead of silver?

There was a guy from PUREJDM who used the pearlescent stuff on his soara and to be honest imo the finish wasn't brilliant, the colour was good but it was a bit of a rough bumpy finish. I don't know if that was the method or kit he used, or if that was a by product of the pearlescent paint. I would say go for it Mike, as stated it's not permanent, its not expensive and have noticed that second hand kit fetches a good price on ebay so if you buy the complete kit, you always have that to sell on afterwards.

Ive seen metallic colours on ebay. Is that rubbish? As i was thinking of doing my daily civic in metalic grey instead of silver?

Do not use eBay junk.

The metallic finish is done by additives, flakes or liquid.

If done right does look good.

There was a guy from PUREJDM who used the pearlescent stuff on his soara and to be honest imo the finish wasn't brilliant, the colour was good but it was a bit of a rough bumpy finish. I don't know if that was the method or kit he used, or if that was a by product of the pearlescent paint. I would say go for it Mike, as stated it's not permanent, its not expensive and have noticed that second hand kit fetches a good price on ebay so if you buy the complete kit, you always have that to sell on afterwards.

That would be because he did it wrong.

With plastidip it's about building up layers.

So if adding pearlescent flakes etc, it needs to be in the first few layers, then normal layers on top.

So depending on colour of car to colour going to change too, id start off with a normal shiny gunmetal colour, then apply 2-3 layers of the normal colour.

Add the flakes and spray 1-3 layers, then use clear dip for the last few layers.

That way the finish would be smooth, the colour would be fine and the flakes visible.

So if I get the 20 litre starter kit from this website it should have everything good to go? Pre mixed paint gun etc

http://www.matt-pack.co.uk/20-litre-starter-kit-c2x13230159

It only took 12.5 litres mate and I did eight coats. Save a few pennies and get the 15 litre kit.

Edited by walkerstrider (see edit history)

Yes i might do shane. Only thing is ill have to filler thelittle dinks in it. So if i do have to remove the wrap ill have filler everywhere lol