The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dodgy turbos again...

Tsia

Was the filter element stock, too? Ever been run without an element in the box, or with the box not

piped to the manifolding? There must be a reason for that compressor blade damage.

Took it out earlier to take a look, not even a smidgen of damage on the element. I assume it's stock, as it's not branded at all (white in colour). All the piping is fine.

Did you ever get to see the turbo vanes, before they were rebuilt by the company?

As Chris suggests something must have caused that damage, unless of course it was put back together like it in the first place.

Just a nasty thought.

I didn't, no. I trust the garage that did the repair though, so I'm sure something'll get resolved. Would it be a possibility that the bearing prematurely died, giving it some wobble which then tw*tted itself on the housing and broke off a section?

I didn't, no. I trust the garage that did the repair though, so I'm sure something'll get resolved. Would it be a possibility that the bearing prematurely died, giving it some wobble which then tw*tted itself on the housing and broke off a section?

Possibly.

Just looking at the picture I would expect to see some scoring, gouge marks where the contact was made.

Photos can be deceptive, but I can't see any major marks.

I hope you manage to get it sorted, you have had some terrible luck of late with the car.

Possibly.

Just looking at the picture I would expect to see some scoring, gouge marks where the contact was made.

Photos can be deceptive, but I can't see any major marks.

I hope you manage to get it sorted, you have had some terrible luck of late with the car.

Yeah, I have unfortunately. I still adore it, but I've just landed a job where I can probably get a *very* cheap new Merc, so I'll see how I feel in a few months about it and possibly give Supra ownership a break for a while.

My supra developed the same symptoms on the way to jae, progressively getting worse, also noticed abit of oil around the turbo. This thread hasn't filled me full of confidence!

Looks like I may have to go single.....

You got the spare twins off the breaker Mr Jay?

Just swap them

Nope. Engine sold ages ago. Still got two spare turbos but the internals are shot.

As soon as I get rid of the breaker mines getting parked in the unit and it's getting forgotten about!

You held onto that dash I hope....

- - - Updated - - -

Really not sure what could have gone through it though, nothing's broken :|

Single it :) Just an ickle one

That or whiffins billet twins but I personally hate the sequential system it's fiddly and time consuming to work on so if my twins go it is likely il go for a small single.

Doubt I'd have the spare money for a setup like that, but a smallish single may well be the ticket after this. Will be calling the garage shortly to see what we can arrange. :)

Your not the only one I just got lucky on this one last week..

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?312926-Major-Oil-Leak-(&highlight=major+oil+leak

I have ended up with a list of parts to have fitted as a result.

These cars will increasingly start showing their age if they are not constantly maintained luckily it goes away for 6 months in a heated garage so I have bought a runaround for winter.

*Crank seal front and rear

*New OEM Oil Pump

*New OEM Water Pump

*New OEM Timing Kit with Gates belts and OEM tensioner pulley.

*New OEM Tensioner Ram

*New OEM Crank Sprocket

*New Crank Pulley

*New Crank Pulley Bolt

*Various Gaskets

*New Lower Sump (it had a small dent in it which annoys me from last year)

Single is never cheaper once you take into account fuelling and ecu.

Not cheaper just easier to problem solve and work on for me.

The car was supposed to be a buy it from Jurgen BPU it and be happy that was about 15-17k ago its surprising how all the little Toyota parts mount up lmao

Once you pop and all that Jazz.....

With all the money spent its now pining for a Syvecs and a small 500bhp ish single but we will see how long these stock tubbys last.

Edited by MattP (see edit history)