The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are strut braces really a waste of time??

Elmo

I would like to think it would make a difference but if your just popping to the shops and back or doing the odd fast corner im guessing you wont feel much change ... round a track you should feel a difference

I cant see manufactures putting them in vehicles as OEM unless making a difference as they hate spending money

My girlfriends 350z boot will have so much more space without the rear strut there

I cant see manufactures putting them in vehicles as OEM unless making a difference as they hate spending money

The MKIV rear is also braced with two steel plates, most people dont know they are there and then put another brace over the top of them :D

Guest Knightrider1980
The MKIV rear is also braced with two steel plates, most people dont know they are there and then put another brace over the top of them :D

More stability then lol

Try fitting a strut brace to a Supra with one of the front corners jacked up and you'll find that it won't go on because the body is twisted.

Strut braces made from alubendyminium and/or have a hinge on it's bracket is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

The TRD steel and/or titanium braces are the only ones that might do any good at all and with a hole and a bolt, they also becomes a master cylinder brace too, which definitely gives a firmer brake pedal.

See here. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?220649-Bracing&highlight=TRD+strut+brace+mod

Try fitting a strut brace to a Supra with one of the front corners jacked up and you'll find that it won't go on because the body is twisted.

I had the opposite experience, I jacked my Supra up, put it on stands and then couldn't remove the strut brace. The body was trying to droop outwards as the suspension was no longer the stressed load member.

I've no idea if it significantly affects handling as an end result, but it definitely affects front body flex in some way. This is a solid Cucso steel one, not a hinged jelly one :)