The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this a uk spec guys?

Gretie22

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I bought it. You shouldn't feel too bad, it requires lots of work. Needs valve seals, engine sometimes stalls when you rev it in neutral and there's rust around the front windscreen. But all in all, I got it for an amazing price and it's definitely worth it to save her. The car ran lovely and pulled hard. It has a decatted exhaust, HKS pod filter, HKS BOV, Blitz Boost Controller, HKS Turbotimer and 19" Axis wheels. Wheels are in terrible condition but the tires are new so I'm gonna refurb them. All in all, definitely worth the money! Especially because it's a UK spec. :) Ended up paying WAY less than his asking price. ;)

Yep, I bought it. You shouldn't feel too bad, it requires lots of work. Needs valve seals, engine sometimes stalls when you rev it in neutral and there's rust around the front windscreen. But all in all, I got it for an amazing price and it's definitely worth it to save her. The car ran lovely and pulled hard. It has a decatted exhaust, HKS pod filter, HKS BOV, Blitz Boost Controller, HKS Turbotimer and 19" Axis wheels. Wheels are in terrible condition but the tires are new so I'm gonna refurb them. All in all, definitely worth the money! Especially because it's a UK spec. :) Ended up paying WAY less than his asking price. ;)

£1500?

I am pleased your trip was worthwhile. Liverpool and scrap yard were kind of worrying to me :) Front windscree surround rust sounds iffy, but you sound like you are a knowledgable buyer and know what's what. I wrongly thought you couldn't import cars originating from Japan, as a matter of interest what is financial advantage of a UK spec car versus a Jap spec? Good luck with it!

The main thing is it won't get broken

I knew about the Windscreen rust, it was the main thing I was worried about and I guessed the stem seals by his description

I had already knocked him down by 50% without viewing, not sure what you got him to, but it was worth the risk at that price, just for the Uk bits alone

I was also told by another member that it had been involved in an accident, but they didn't know to what extent, that's why I wanted to view it properly before taking a punt on it

Going to look at a Honda Civic Diesel tomorrow as a daily, not quite the same though lol

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

The only financial advantage a UK car has over a JDM one is that there's no additional import tax on them because they're already EU cars.

@DodgyRog - I ended up paying £2850. For me, that price was definitely worth it. It's not a bad car at all, just needs a little TLC (and the wheels have completely corroded, but will be refurbed next week). After a wash and some elbow grease I managed to get it looking pretty nice. Just needs a proper machine polish and wax, and ofcourse I need to get those seals replaced and do all the oils, fluids and filters. After that it's a complete exterior restauration. I also cleaned the interior, which is looking pretty mint right now (forgot to take a picture though). I probably could've had it for less because he was pretty desperate for cash, but all in all, I'm one happy Supra owner now! :)

image20140712_165321 by Dorifto Deuce, on Flickr

image20140712_163339 by Dorifto Deuce, on Flickr

image20140713_181726 by Dorifto Deuce, on Flickr

image20140713_154751 by Dorifto Deuce, on Flickr

It has some decent mods too, besides the decatted exhaust (which sounds amazing but looks crap).

- HKS Airfilter

- HKS SSQV

- HKS Turbotimer

- Blitz Boostcontroller

- Gtech Performance Meter (does 0-60 and 1/4 mile measurements lol)

Edited by Zeiretto (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Just a little bump. Turned out it was a shed after all. I took a risk and it turned out bad. Shit happens.

I bought a completely rust-free and beautiful black N/A auto now, so it's not all bad.. Can always swap in a TT engine later!

What happened with it?

The engine was crap too. There were metal splinters in there. It did still run but it required too much work (I'm not handy with engines myself so I have to pay people to do it for me).

I sold the entire car to a couple guys who are active on the Dutch Supra forum. They'll try and fully restore her. So everything went with it!

This is the new one:

It has mkivsupra.net club stickers!

Edited by Zeiretto (see edit history)