The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible overheating problem!!!

brom86

That will be it. It will cool just as well with plain water in it, the lack, or dilution of, anti freeze is NOT your issue. You need to add anti freeze as it contains corrosion inhibitors, even in the summer. THERE IS NO NEED WHATSOEVER to buy or use the red stuff Toyota charge a fortune for. Any ethylene glycol based anti freeze from the likes of Halfords is JUST AS GOOD, except it doesn't contain a red dye to show when it's turned acidic. There is no way on God's earth i would would pay for the red stuff it it were my car....

Here's a simple way to get the bottle level right. Remove it, empty it, put it back. Fill the rad itself, cold, to the brim. Drive the car for a day. Next morning top the rad again to the brim. Do this three times. the bottle will then have it's required amount of water or water / coolant mix in it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the lack, or dilution of, anti freeze is NOT your issue.

Agreed, not THE issue. That's clearly the over filling. I was addressing the water that is boiling/bubbling in the res. Surely adding anti-freeze raises boiling temp as well lowering freezing temp of plain water?

Edited by Rummy (see edit history)

The water in the cooling system is under pressure and would only boil at well over 100 degrees Celcius whether it has anti freeze in it or not. His issue is not one of marginally increasing the boiling point of water, it's much more basic, modern cooling systems have a huge excess of capacity on most vehicles, to accommodate running in very different climates. The slight in crease in boiling temp due to stronger molecular bonding of the hydrogen molecules due to ethylene glycol is irrelevant. The last engine I built was sent out running plain water as I was unsure if the owner wanted a heater matrix change and I did not want to waste his money on anti freeze. I put near 300 miles on it, and he maybe got a speeding ticket, and it didn't do anything untoward into the overflow bottle ;)

The water in the cooling system is under pressure and would only boil at well over 100 degrees Celcius whether it has anti freeze in it or not. His issue is not one of marginally increasing the boiling point of water, it's much more basic, modern cooling systems have a huge excess of capacity on most vehicles, to accommodate running in very different climates. The slight in crease in boiling temp due to stronger molecular bonding of the hydrogen molecules due to ethylene glycol is irrelevant. The last engine I built was sent out running plain water as I was unsure if the owner wanted a heater matrix change and I did not want to waste his money on anti freeze. I put near 300 miles on it, and he maybe got a speeding ticket, and it didn't do anything untoward into the overflow bottle ;)

:thumbs: Everyday is a school day!

Ok thought a had sorted this but after another long run and when turned the car off bubbling again from expansion tank. Spoke with tonytt and he said looks and sounds like it's blowing air into the collant in the expansion tank so a took off the lid and pulled the pipe out the coolant and yip stopped bubbling. Hose was blowing air into the coolant but a thought it was boiling. Does this mean I have an air leak some where? Car does not over heat on the gauge and runs fine and doesn't seem to be loosing coplant

Edited by brom86 (see edit history)

Overflow hose and radiator filler cap neck ok?

If there's no visible leaks and all hoses are tight, system is fully bled, poss BHG? Might be worth getting a sniff test done. Check the underside of the oil cap for "cream cheese". Any white smoke from exhaust?

Edited by Rummy (see edit history)

Been checking the oil cap and no change to that. No build up or "cream cheese" performance is still great too. White smoke from exhaust no that's still same. I'll get it checked by garage to roll out hg or that's what's causing this problem :(

I take it when a turn the car off after a good run, pull the expansion tank cap off, take the small hose out the coolant and it's blowing rather than sucking that a sign the head gasket is gone? Or could it be something else?

Is it blowing coolant out... or air?

Are you sure you have enough coolant in the actual radiator itself? It sounds very much like your radiator doesn't have enough coolant in it. When you're filling up the expansion bottle, the expanding air from the radiator is blowing bubbles into the bottle..... hence why you think it's boiling.

Air not coolant. I have a video but can't upload it. Rad is filled to top. When engine is up to temp the expansion tank is just below the max line. When turn engine off it starts blowing air into the bottle. A thought it was boiling but when took the cap off the tank, not the rad, and took hose out the coolant it stopped bubbling and the hose was blowing air out like a kettle with steam

I feel bad that its giving you worries Craig :( if its any consolation they're not known for giving head gasket problems, and as i drove it daily it was always well cared for mechanically and regardless of cost - it was my baby. I don't know what can lead to hg failure but i never had overheating issues and didn't drive the car hard, and as said the rad cap was changed during my time. I hope its ok and is a cheap/easy fix mate.

It's ok jim just one of these things. Might not be anything serious just worried incase it is really. Love the car to bits and if money wasn't an issue a would fix it and would worry but money is tight. Either way it will get sorted just as u said hope it's cheap. Can't have the girl being sick much longer haha

Well popped by the garage today. Tried a "sniff test" on the coolant in the radiator which came back negative for HC thank god. Went a good blast in the car and came back to show the garage the high pressure in the rad which was causing the pipe in the expansion bottle to blow air into the coolant which was about half way which was causing the bubbling. A let the car idle and the coolant returned to the rad and the pressure went right down. When say pressure a mean in the rad cap and top hose. They say there must be air getting into the system. Got it booked in to take the thermostat out to try that. See what happens. Getting cold and hot air so water pump seems fine. Again car runs great it's only this high build up of pressure on the system. Any thoughts people where could start looking for the source of the problem ??