The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible overheating problem!!!

brom86

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Has the engine had any internal work done recently? I remember reading somewhere about a member with similar problems turns out a gasket had been put it in incorrectly (the gasket looked symmetrical) so a small water channel had been bloked by the gasket.

Well drove home from work at 2 am and no bubbling at all. Am convinced it's not combustion gases. All the tell tell signs for it aren't there and sniff test showed that too. Am going to try a new rad see what happens as am getting one at a good price. Searched for bubbling on here and someone changed the rad and it worked so here's hoping it's that. Or again seen as it didn't bubble at 2 am it may now be ok or nothing haha

• 3 weeks later...

Well before a take it to a garage that costs a fortune to see what's up with the car I took it to a garage that my mate works in and they changed the rad over for a second hand one. Great condition as mine was shot. New cap fitted also that a got from toyota. When a picked it up they said it's still bubbling in the expansion tank so they are leaning towards the cylinder head even though the sniff test cam back nothing. But av been driving it since then and done about 100 miles. Am not loosing coolant and not over heating. Don't have the bubbling in the expansion tank either. Am hoping that this problem had been resolved but still thinking my luck it's not. When car is up to temp and driving hardish for 10-15 miles. When park car up the top rad hose is hard and warm. Warm a would expect but should it be solid? Also should the expansion tank have coolant in it all the time?

Edited by brom86 (see edit history)

I think a stock caps vents at about 0.7 Bar, so that's 10 PSI. Ten pounds per square inch will make the rad hoses feel pretty solid. All sounds OK to me, I'd just take it on a fairly decent run and see what happens (500 miles or so round trip when you need to go somewhere a bit away from home). Until then you'll never know.

Well a few hundred miles in a tight radius around your house is a bit wasteful of fuel and boring, you might as well burn the fuel doing something useful or necessary... And having a car you never trust is a bit pointless, so you need to see if it behaves over a medium length journey to have confidence in it. I am not suggesting you drive across the USSR in it just yet! :)

Guest Roger NE

It depends what you mean by "bubbling in the expansion tank"

If it's a small amount of coolant coming from the radiator to the expansion tank when it's very hot, that is normal.

Your expansion tank should be about half full - if the pressure gets a bit high in the coolant, the rad cap opens and allows fluid to flow into the tank - when it cools, it draws the coolant back into the radiator. That's how it's designed to work.

HOWEVER - if you have coolant really GUSHING into the expansion tank, then that sounds like a leaking Head Gasket.

A sniff test would normally prove that too (ie exhaust gases in the coolant). But you would see it yourself too if you do this test:

When the engine is fairly cool, remove the rad cap. Make sure the radiator is full to the brim. Run the engine and let it warm up to normal temperature.

If you now rev it while watching the top of the radiator, are you seeing lots of air bubbles at the top? If so, that normally means BHG.

(that is presuming you have already got the air out of your heater - you use the same technique, but turn the heater full on and keep squeezing the hose that goes to the heater, and you'll see bubbles coming out the top of the rad until all the air is out of the heater matrix)

• 3 weeks later...

Though would update this thread to finish it off. After shiting myself for ages thinking a may have blew the HG a changed the rad which was badly damaged and since then it has ran perfect! Changed the thermostat which a didn't need however least it's now done haha. So happy happy!