The mkiv Supra Owners Club

996 Turbo Project! ***Page 3 Update***

Slutters

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing the corrosion the turbos pick up on these things!! I went a different route, removed 500hp stock motor and replaced with a DMS 690hp 37,000 mile motor

Thought Id do a GT2 slave conversion and lose the power assisted clutch

If you find your new exhaust too loud which I suspect you will I have a Hayward and Scott twin box system with very expensive sports cats on it thats been coated by Camcoat and also a set of virtually new Blue Samco hoses for stock intercoolers.

Amazing the corrosion the turbos pick up on these things!! I went a different route, removed 500hp stock motor and replaced with a DMS 690hp 37,000 mile motor

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/JohnnyDangerous1964/Porsche%20996%20Turbo/P1040246_zps1d8aa26b.jpg

Thought Id do a GT2 slave conversion and lose the power assisted clutch

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/JohnnyDangerous1964/Porsche%20996%20Turbo/P1040251_zps972aed1f.jpg

If you find your new exhaust too loud which I suspect you will I have a Hayward and Scott twin box system with very expensive sports cats on it thats been coated by Camcoat and also a set of virtually new Blue Samco hoses for stock intercoolers.

Why loosing the power assisted clutch mate?

and 690bhp and 4wd that'll go some :|

Why loosing the power assisted clutch mate?

and 690bhp and 4wd that'll go some :|

Its very hard to get a decent 'feel' for the clutch biting point and with the sports clutch and a light weight flywheel the conversion will make launching the car easier, plus its so much easier to work with when removing the box with the motor in the car. Little bit of weight loss as well

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Dude, Nice! :thumbs:

To be honest the exhaust sounds so crap! I am going to remove it and sell it, it drones like mad! Might go back to the stock exhaust, not sure yet, what you want for the H&S?

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Dude, Nice! :thumbs:

To be honest the exhaust sounds so crap! I am going to remove it and sell it, it drones like mad! Might go back to the stock exhaust, not sure yet, what you want for the H&S?

I have it on ebay for £1200 if you want it you can have it for 1K got all the O2 sensors and 100 cel race cats

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to post all the pics and updates, its been a really good read. I was thinking of getting a TT6 at the end of the year, but this has got me thinking of going for a 996, the Turbo will be beyond my budget but a 3.4 NA should still be loads of fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

New update time!

Firstly removed the old exhaust as it was a little too noisy for me. :(

Gone for a K Line, after all the reviews and I must say it is FANTASTIC! Sounds stock, until you open her up, it’s exactly what I wanted.

Anyway as I was putting a back box system back in place I had to refit the bumper heatshield. The heatshield itself was fine with no corrosion, the brackets that hold it on however has gone…

Brackets at the side made of alloy

Made some new ones from copper so they would not corrode again

Gave it a dam good clean and fitted my new brackets

Then protected with some VHT paint

Seems a shame to tear it apart again..

Hint, tape the edges to prevent an accident’s when removing the bumper

Liners back of, my frames still look fresh

Stripped

Intercoolers removed…. More on these later…

Nice new K Line Innovate exhaust… Fantastic bit of kit and very well made and packaged.

Welding is great!

Brought some new turbo gaskets to prevent any leaks

Fitted

Cat’s and heatshields back on, all the holes lined up spot on!

Few more pics….

And shes fitted

Both straps on

A tip for fitting the straps, use some very thin card and wrap it around the exhaust, that way as you fit the straps you don’t mark the lovely back boxes.

Next up was the intercoolers. Last time I had removed the intercoolers they were In a right mess, I gave them a good clean but i saw some heavy corrosion after I cleaned them now this was not a particular issue as they are quite old. What was an issue was the fact. THEY WERE FULL OF HOLES! The issue is it is no obvious until you have removed them from the ducts. The backs of mine looked fine, however the fronts were in a right mess. I urge you to check yours incase there leaking like mine were. If your bumpers of, take them out and check.

Pics

This is the backside (bit you can see by looking in the rear bumper vents)

All looks fine!

This is the otherside! The black bits are area’s where there were holes that I covered when I last had the intercoolers of as a temporary measure. As you can see, there are new holes! I only used the car once to try the old exhaust!

I filled the intercoolers with water and they were leaking from area’s I could not even see… middle left

Other side

So, I was on the hunt for new intercoolers…. I did look at the GT2RS ones but I did not want to get involved with cutting the OEM parts, I am sure it would be fine, it’s just not something I wanted to do on my car. So in the end I went with FVD Sports intercoolers. They take a stock core then add deeper cooling fins, the fit exactly the same and require no mods at all. They also claim an 20% efficiency increase over stock. Not relevant to me as I am staying stock but if it helps maximise what the car originally had, and is not full of holes then that is fine to me.

Increased fin depth/length

Fit exactly as stock, no drilling, cable ties etc.

New duct seal

Re-fiited the heatshields

More stainless fittings

Intercoolers Fitted

All back together with the tips!

Thanks for reading folks! :)

Jeez, how much has all this cost? So much for quality German engineering, I always used to recommend customers bought Japanese, Swedish or German, in that order, but in the last few years my opinion of many German marques has fallen dramatically. I have several customers with Boxsters and all I can say is they are expensive, unreliable heaps that wouldn't pull the skin off of a rice pudding. I have piles of low mileage OE discs that look like they have been at the bottom of the sea, and exhaust changes are a total nightmare as the studs and nuts seem to be made form re-cycled Chinese bicycle frames. I have had cars in with porous blocks, and liner seals that have failed `cos the cylinder liners have moved. Add in intermediate shaft failures killing the engine beyond economic repair and the things, in my book, justify the CW lemon award. And you machine was a LOT more expensive than a Boxster. Has this experience soured you to Porsche, or are you taking it on the chin? Good luck with it, sounds a money pit, if a nice looking and quick one ;)

Jeez, how much has all this cost?

Total cost was around £1900, £1500 for the exhaust and £400 for the pair of intercoolers.

I have several customers with Boxsters and all I can say is they are expensive, unreliable heaps that wouldn't pull the skin off of a rice pudding.

Mostly true

I have piles of low mileage OE discs that look like they have been at the bottom of the sea, and exhaust changes are a total nightmare as the studs and nuts seem to be made form re-cycled Chinese bicycle frames.

Expected you to have been able to work this out but never mind. If you put a mild steel nut, at the lowest point behind a rear wheel, then drive over water/salt and crap for 40,000 miles, heat it up, cool it down, the chances are it will go rusty...

I have had cars in with porous blocks, and liner seals that have failed `cos the cylinder liners have moved. Add in intermediate shaft failures killing the engine beyond economic repair and the things, in my book, justify the CW lemon award.

The NA 996 engine does have a list of 'issues' that's VERY true. Thankfully,the turbo's use a different engine to the rest of the 996/Boxster range and suffer with none of these problems...

Has this experience soured you to Porsche, or are you taking it on the chin?

No, all items i have done to my car have not NEEDED doing, apart from the intercoolers. I can't think of another 420HP 4WD Twin turbo that can do over 300,000 miles, be usable everyday, return over 30mpg, make peak tourqe at 2300RPM all the way to the red line that i would rather own.

Good luck with it, sounds a money pit, if a nice looking and quick one ;)

Thanks, and your old R33 GTST Skyline which you put a sequential box and built engine in, sounds like a fantastic long term investment.... At least i can use my money pit on the road and don't have a gearbox who's life span is measured in hours....

If a car is expensive to buy it's expensive to maintain

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work, lovely car. I really fancy one of these.

Thanks Jamie. Was reading your build thread on your new Supra the other day. Looks fantastic. :)

Sorry, it was not my intention to offend, I had assumed the IC's would be a lot more expensive. I was just a bit horrified by the general degradation of the IC's, and exhaust. Toyota seem to have built the MKIV TT IC's out of stuff that I have yet to see leak, albeit the fins crumble. But mild steel nuts on mild steel studs is not very good engineering practice on exhaust hardware, in a high heat region. And Porsche disc material is bizarre, never have I seen discs that degrade so quickly in normal usage as I have on Boxsters. You are perfectly correct about the GTS-t, as an investment it's as good as burning fivers :) No offence meant!! Fraser from MOTEC UK has just bought a Porsche turbo, which I think is a similar model to yours, and is singing its praises.