The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Headlights - HID or upgrade bulbs??

Si_s Supe

My Jspec Supra has UK headlights fitted and the light output is, well...shocking!!

I had 4300k HIDs in my last Supra, but in my Volvo I have upgraded halogens (Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited) The HB3 Osrams are around £35. HID about £75.

Would like people opinions / experience of the best route to go. Upgraded halogens tend to have a shorter than usual lifespan, so two sets of them is equal to a set of HIDs anyway.

HID all the way. Fit them to your dipped beams only and get 4300k as they are the brightest.

I would not bother fitting them to full beams due to the warm up stage of HID's. Also equally pointless fitting the fogs with them because if you do not find a way to make the connection at the back waterproof your headlights will get condensation in them.

Also £75 for HID's. Over 2 supra sand my current Volvo that has had them fitted for 5 years I have only spent appx £30 to £40 max on a set. So £75 seems very expensive

Cool, HIDs it is then! I remember having a few issues with getting the correct fitment when fitting them to my facelift headlights. What do I need to do on UK headlights? Is an HB3 kit plug & play fit?

Also, the kit I would use would be the HIDS4U kit. They're fantastic quality but slightly pricier. I've used the cheap eBay ones on several cars in the past without issue, the HIDS4U kit is definitely a cut above the rest though and worth the extra IMHO.

Guest Roger NE

Personally I hate HIDs . . . hate how they look on oncoming cars ! (the very white light is way too blinding . . and the blue or green ones should be banned in my opinion)

I've always just used 100 watt halogen headlamp bulbs on all my cars

Personally I hate HIDs . . . hate how they look on oncoming cars ! (the very white light is way too blinding . . and the blue or green ones should be banned in my opinion)

I've always just used 100 watt halogen headlamp bulbs on all my cars

To be fair, there's always going to be mixed views on HIDs.

I agree 100% with you when it comes to HIDs fitted into reflector lamps. Terrible beam pattern (if any!) and very dazzling. I've been guilty of this and never again!

Different story all together though in projector lamps like ours! My last Supra had PERFECT beam patterns. The cut offs and kick ups were spot on! No glare or dazzle at all either!

My Jspec Supra has UK headlights fitted and the light output is, well...shocking!!

I had 4300k HIDs in my last Supra, but in my Volvo I have upgraded halogens (Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited) The HB3 Osrams are around £35. HID about £75.

Would like people opinions / experience of the best route to go. Upgraded halogens tend to have a shorter than usual lifespan, so two sets of them is equal to a set of HIDs anyway.

Get HIDs mate..

Get the right ones that are made for the reflector type light.

Dont get the wrong ones, install them correctly, align them correctly.

Dont be another stupid idiot who has the wrong types and wattage with the alignment so it blinds other drivers.

"it not cool" I see them all the time whilst driving my taxi.

6000k are too blue IMO. I used to use them, but when I changed to 4300k, the difference in actual usable light output onto the road was immense.

So, do I buy HB3 bulbs? I seem to remember having to buy HB4 and then modify the bulbs to fit my facelift plastic lights!?

IIRC the UK Spec lights fit with HB4 bulbs but they don't need any cutting off like you do on the JSpecs.

The link below might be quite helpful.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?142251-Which-headlight-bulbs-for-JSpec-and-UK-Spec

Also agree on the light pattern on a projector glass headlight, I should take a picture next time I am in front of a wall to show how clean cut the light is.