The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RX8 owner here

Guest fernandofan08

Welcome, very nice RX8 you have, shame you cant just drop a 2jz i there!! the Rotary engines are a PITA i used to have a red 192 very nice inside and drove well but you always had to thrash it to get any power. Looked at buying another for a daily but decided against it due to their reliability.

As people have said your budget is a good one and will see you get a very nice tt for that. i cant comment on the manual vs auto ive never driven an auto supra i prefer the mechanical clunky box changes of the six speed :)

Guest fernandofan08
That's a lovely blue on your RX. Good luck with the search. :)

Much appreciated mate!

Welcome!

Save harder, get a manual and save being the joke of all your friends :)

Seriously though, your 23 not 70

Automatics aren't that bad!

£3k?! You can pick them up for less than £1k :D

I drove a couple of RX8's, they feel out of breath, need more Oomph and the engine is horrendous. I do love the interior however and also LOVE the seating arrangements. Tempted to buy one and chuck a V8 in it!

Good choice on the auto box, and this is coming from someone who has a 6 speed. The auto's are quicker too, the gear change is rapid! An ultra smooth around town.

Keep an eye on the classifieds section, they generally pop up from time to time.

£1k buys you a broken engined car which will need a £2500 rebuild [GRIN][/GRIN]

They lack torque upto 5000rpm, which is good for snow (if you dont have semi slick tyres like me.......oops!) but it does miss boost! I dont do alot of mileage, probably 5000 a year and I do quite abit of town driving, so the smoothness of an auto box will make sense. And it allows me to fully focus on the road and not gear changing ;D

The autos on a supras awesome the majority of people that slag them probably haven't even tried them. Im a fellow HGV driver class1.

Nice! Because im a young driver, Its not easy to get alot of work. My current agency is brilliant but not alot of opportunities out there for under 25's. Funny thing is that I have had my licence two years now and been driving trucks for just over 21 months of it.

Like a broken record :rolleyes:

Ignore this comment skippyboyo constanly talks $#@!e but you'll find that out.

It appears so! :)

I just sold my manual Supra and got an Auto, you've really got to drive them to see why. The autobox is lovely :D

I fully intend to mate. Its weird because many people would try to push you away from anything without a gearstick. Quite nice to see so many people reccomend the automatic. Im not into the elitism over a gearbox!

Welcome, very nice RX8 you have, shame you cant just drop a 2jz i there!! the Rotary engines are a PITA i used to have a red 192 very nice inside and drove well but you always had to thrash it to get any power. Looked at buying another for a daily but decided against it due to their reliability.

As people have said your budget is a good one and will see you get a very nice tt for that. i cant comment on the manual vs auto ive never driven an auto supra i prefer the mechanical clunky box changes of the six speed :)

It handles superb but sometimes I do wonder if it handles so very well because theres not alot of power to make the car unruly. Thanks to its smooth delivery it handles very well. Interior is gorgeous on the car!

Guest fernandofan08

lol! I like the idea of the flappy paddle modification to give that little bit more interaction but I bet its expensive and expensive to fit!

welcome :)

nice RX, I like them, and the power delivery- but I've never had the ballache of owning one! I've only had one mate who's owned one for 18 months and never had a problem. my brother's one shat its box, then started shitting its second box when the engine went, another friend bought one with a 2 month old recon job that turned out to be a bodge job- and 2 other mates have just bought theirs this new year- should be interesting seeing how those blokes get on! ;)

I'm a manual man through and through, but after owning a supra I can see why the auto is so popular, must be great for munching the miles on the road. and to echo the comments above- a member on here once took me out in an auto BPU rated at 385- and even as a passenger- what an experience. gobsmacked!

I'm sure at your budget you should be able to find a nice example :) good luck with the search.

Guest fernandofan08

Cheers guys. Where is a good place to research basic performance upgrades? Any recommended places? Im happy to travel for the proper work. More of a reason to drive!

Guest fernandofan08
There's a list on here of what you need you can get the bits way way cheaper than whifbitz, I got all my bits for 300 all in just by looking around and getting second hand parts or ebay bargains etc

Really? Do you have a link to that?

Guest fernandofan08

Thanks! Its phantom blue Mica, only made for two months as part of a 100 car run in that colour. Its a wonderful colour, green in one light, turqoise in another, then flake blue in the next;

Half tempted to respray the Supra in the colour lmao!

Guest fernandofan08

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to convert an NA to a Turbo?

- - - Updated - - -

if you click Bpu it will take you to a bpu thread with list in there ;)

EDIT for some reason it didn't work that time but did above anyway heres the link http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?94705-BPU-(Basic-Performance-Upgrade)

Much obliged good sir!

Welcome to the club, nice colour on the Rx8 too. If you sign up for the membership it will give you access to the "for sale" section loaded with cars and parts.

Just click setting on the top right and then paid subscriptions on the bar on the left. I personally wish I brought my car from a member on here over out in the wilderness.

Has anyone else wondered if Ugp and Skippyboyo are related :D

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to convert an NA to a Turbo?

- - - Updated - - -

Join the club, you can go many routes, have a dig through all the info on the site about na-t or na-tt many ways to do it, it ain't cheap especially if your not very clued up on motors. It's not impossible though!!

Much obliged good sir!

Join the club, you can go many routes, have a dig through all the info on the site about na-t or na-tt many ways to do it, it ain't cheap especially if your not very clued up on motors. It's not impossible though!!

£1k buys you a broken engined car which will need a £2500 rebuild [GRIN][/GRIN]

They all need engine rebuilds, it as common as a service :D

I looked at them recently as I wanted something 4 door, and was weighing up a LS1 conversion on them but for the cost it wasn't worth it.

Found working ones around the £1k mark and non runners under that!

Like so:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401080879565/sort/default/usedcars/make/mazda/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-to/2500/postcode/e143hr/quicksearch/true/page/1/model/rx8/radius/1500?logcode=p

It is a fantastic car, shame it seems quite difficult to do an engine swap.