The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust advise on na supra

Guest unclefester666

I have a full 90 mm obx exhaust with obx headers on my na so it was double decat and it was LOUD! 125 db at wot. It would not pass inspection as it was 99 db @ 3400 rpm for the noise test.

With the second cat in and silencer it is 89 db @ 3400 rpm and passed. (Cat needed in Germany for a green emmisions sticker otherwise you are not allowed to drive into alot of cities)

If i had to do it again I would go for a 2.5 twin box system as even at 89-90 db it does get tiring on a long trip.

My 2p

Forums function by the ability to read.

MOT emission regulations function by engine model.

2JZA80-GTE was sold in the U.K, consequently, this engine is on their list so requires one cat.

2JZA80-GE was not sold in the U.K, consequently, this engine is not on their list and exempt from cats.

Where's my spade? ;)

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Yes but your reasoning for the NA not needing cats is because it's a grey import and wasn't sold in the uk

A j spec TT is still a grey import as it wasn't sold in the uk

There are quite a few differences.

Basically just see it from engine perspective, the GTE was made in the UK so they have data to work against. The GE wasn't so they don't have data to work from :)

I shortened that sentence for post #29 and removed "grey import" because it was confusing you.

Just focus on the engine model and all is clear.

Grey import isn't confusing me.

What is confusing is different stories

Uk legislation says 94 was when cats were made compulsory

So anything before that is ok to have no cats.

Mot stations have that sign up

I understand NA weren't sold in the uk so the engine isn't on the database, that's why our tax is all the same and even cheaper than some latest co2 friendly cars.

But where does it say in black and white for definite as defined by the government/dvla/ and the peers that be that an NA or the GE engine doesn't need any cats regardless of year?

Basically just see it from engine perspective, the GTE was made in the UK so they have data to work against. The GE wasn't so they don't have data to work from :)

I understand that, I do

But surely somewhere along the lines dvla could get the data or make it up?

Or in theory we could get it changed for j specs?

I understand that, I do

But surely somewhere along the lines dvla could get the data or make it up?

Or in theory we could get it changed for j specs?

You'd think so but I guess for an older car it would be too much work for the DVLA, they like to do the min & ensure they extract the max from the motorist.

I think it is more the MOT tester who looks it up on the computer and only finds one engine and not the other so means he is free to do a non cat test.

But where does it say in black and white for definite as defined by the government/dvla/ and the peers that be that an NA or the GE engine doesn't need any cats regardless of year?

This flowchart then the page in the book where the GE isn't listed that you can't be bothered to look for.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/194133/Emissions_17th_Edition.pdf

Supra

Model Code MA70 Engine Code 7M-GE 3.0L From VIN No (last 7 digits) 0140688 0.5 650 750 0.3 200 0.97 1.03 2400 2600 60

Model Code MA70 Engine Code 7M-GTE 3.0L From VIN No (last 7 digits) 0120093 0.5 750 850 0.3 200 0.97 1.03 2400 2600 60

Model Code JZA80 Engine Code 2JZ-GTE 3.0L From VIN No (last 7 digits) 0000001 0.5 600 700 0.3 200 0.97 1.03 2400 2600 60

GTE is present, GE is not.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

You'd think so but I guess for an older car it would be too much work for the DVLA, they like to do the min & ensure they extract the max from the motorist.

I think it is more the MOT tester who looks it up on the computer and only finds one engine and not the other so means he is free to do a non cat test.

I always assumed dvla will try screw us all over.

But yeah they are lazy

This flowchart then the page in the book where the GE isn't listed that you can't be bothered to look for.

I have looked but I couldn't find anything except the legislation about cats used after 94

But even with that chart, you could still fail an emissions test if it is registered after 95.

But thank you for the link, much appreciated

Full decat all the way then !! But will take the car to a friendly station just in case ,the guy how is doing the exhaust has told me that he has had no problems decating numerous cars in the past as the car is pre 2002 and is a import , just needed some reassurance

Glen??

We have no friendly stations in ni (unless the dvlni guy is a mate). I kept both cats in but got a full custom stainless cat-back made by Dee's exhausts in newtownabbey (beside Abbey centre / toys r us) and an induction kit with carbon airbox to prevent heat soak. The cat back is straight through with no silencers and it sounds amazing, nice growl but not too bad for the neighbours :)