The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust advise on na supra

Guest unclefester666

Guest unclefester666

Hi i was wondering if someone could help me make the right choice, i want to fully de-cat my exhaust as the old system is knackered!

i think i am going down the road of a full custom build, but i see there a lot of exhausts on the web. i was tempted to buy a new manifold from the states but with the american cars being left hand drive and my car being right had

drive the steering box may be in the way ,can the new manifold be altered ??? advise in these matters would be very welcome.:D

Would be a lot less hassle for you just to buy of whifbitz or the likes.. do you want loud? quiet? You'll need to put in at least 1 catt in for your MOT then remove it again. Best advice I can give is get a 2.5 inch for an NA anything bigger will make go deaf and get you an ASBO.

You can get Manifolds to fit the RHD NA, but they don't come up to often. The LHD manifolds can be made to fit with a bit of heat and a hammer. But if I was doing it again I would just fit a first and second decat and a 2.5" exhaust.

Mine has manifold second decat and a 3" cat back exhaust. I've never had to put the cat back in for MOTs. But it is loud, not to loud for me but people do comment on how loud it is.

2.5" on a na with no cats is nice, loud enough without being tiring on long drives. My old na had a custom build by Blueflame exhausts and sounded lovely, but it was expensive compared to some. Also, it has been covered on here time and time again that if your mot man says you need a cat on for the emissions on a na, then he needs to be shown the testers handbook. I think it was DavidP who posted the link to show the testing station.

Guest unclefester666

thanks guys for the advise ,i think i will go with the full decat with 2.5inch pipe work and leave the manifold for now. i have also heard putting 3inch pipe on will loose me low down torque which i dont want.

Guest unclefester666

Full decat all the way then !! But will take the car to a friendly station just in case ,the guy how is doing the exhaust has told me that he has had no problems decating numerous cars in the past as the car is pre 2002 and is a import , just needed some reassurance

The Old Wives are at it again. :shrug:

Regardless of date of birth or inlet-cam management, for a straight ticket;

N/A (GE) = No cats

T.T. (GTE) = One cat

I know there is a document to back this up somewhere for MOT. Flow chart of some sort that wish I had printed off. Does anyone have it? Could you post up? My hitler MOT man needs to see this.

Forums function by the ability to read.

MOT emission regulations function by engine model.

2JZA80-GTE was sold in the U.K, consequently, this engine is on their list so requires one cat.

2JZA80-GE were not sold in the U.K, these are 'grey imports' and consequently, not on the list and exempt from cats.

2JZ-GTE engine was supplied in the UK therefore 2JZ-GTE import will be tested to the same standard.

2JZ-GE was never supplied in a UK market car therefore they have no UK comparison, and by the letter of the MOT regs they have a very loose emissions test. Search for it, its all there.

For the record I run dual cats an 2.5" single box system, at the track it clocks about 86db. single / twin box systems can make a big difference to noise as cats and bore.

- - - Updated - - -

Forums function by the ability to read.

MOT emission regulations function by engine model.

2JZA80-GTE was sold in the U.K, consequently, this engine is on their list so requires one cat.

2JZA80-GE were not sold in the U.K, these are grey imports so are not on the list and exempt from cats.

apologies you beat me to it!