The mkiv Supra Owners Club

uprated turbo for sequential system

firin Supra

I do see your point justin, nick so please tell me then how on earth are these guys running 10 sec qurter milers if their reading are in correct? When I was down at supra pod couple of years ago jamie p pushed 11sec quarter and I think on one of the runs he just managed high tens and his car was making 1300 hp approx now my point is if their dyno are high and are giving wrong hp figures how are the managing better times then us guys here I know tyres and reaction times play a big part but come on! I just wanted the torque of the sequentials and the power of a single a very quick resposive street car we will just have to see what paul comes up with and obviously see if its worth it

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do see your point justin, nick so please tell me then how on earth are these guys running 10 sec qurter milers if their reading are in correct? When I was down at supra pod couple of years ago jamie p pushed 11sec quarter and I think on one of the runs he just managed high tens and his car was making 1300 hp approx now my point is if their dyno are high and are giving wrong hp figures how are the managing better times then us guys here I know tyres and reaction times play a big part but come on! I just wanted the torque of the sequentials and the power of a single a very quick resposive street car we will just have to see what paul comes up with and obviously see if its worth it

Snap, the stock twin record holder, actually runs his car in TTC, not sequential. I'd imagine most of the stock twins in the 10s passes are built as drag cars rather than street cars, all with full on drag radials, and the majority of the auto's run histalls and built autoboxes, and probably race fuel judging by the spec list in this thread:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?350519-Updated-top-10-1-4-mile-times-for-Stock-Twin

As for the 6 speed's making a 11 second pass, they must just be really really seriously good!

500 wheel hp is going to require more than just basic BPU modification, even if the turbos could flow enough air to make that power it won't get anywhere near without bigger injectors and an aftermarket ECU. As an example this UK spec Supra maxed out 472 flywheel hp running the stock 540cc injectors and Syvecs ECU, the smaller 440cc injectors on the j-spec would be at their limit at just over 400 flywheel hp http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?234626-just-fitted-gt28-twin-turbos

They are available for the j-spec turbos apparently, the biggest problem with j-spec turbos though will be the size of the wastegate, the stock wastegate is too small to control the stock CT20 turbos. Every used set of j-spec turbos I've seen (even a relatively new set with a few thousand miles on them that I had) have had a crack in the turbine housing, opening the wastegate out will just make this area even weaker.

The other thing to note is that the GT28 cartridge used is the journal bearing version NOT the double ball bearing version - as the name may suggest - so there is not a huge difference between the GT28 hybrids and other hybrid turbos that have been on the market for years.

Hi Nic, I agree with you that it isn't going to be easy to achieve those numbers, you'll need larger injectors that's correct. With the 440cc injectors you are very limited with the power potential from these turbos. However several people have proven it's possible, even in Europe. 482rwhp at 18 psi on pumpgas and an AEM V1 (jup in Europe). Not really basic with a standalone, but it's not rocketscience either.

To get the most out of these twins, you'll need everything a decent single conversion needs. It's not the best bang for buck if you catch my drift.

The inconsistency between American power figures and our dyno readouts should also be taken into consideration, the trend seems to be that American dyno's give out a higher figure than ours ( or to appease any Americans reading, our dyno's read low, because Americans are never wrong :) ) So if you get the GT28's and they only make 500 flywheel horsepower, will you think it would have been worth the money?

It's just an internet myth that the American dyno's read higher. You have to keep in mind that the American use racegas most of the time.

Even in Europe there are 400 rwhp bpu supras, it's not impossible at all. The bpu supras in the US dyno between 370-400rwhp on pump, everything higher it's very likely they are using racegas. Amir from this forum actually dyno'd in the US and the UK and the differences was minimal.

Btw the trapspeed from the Yanks back up their numbers.

Edit: missed Biebers last post. A good set of tyres, racegas and a prepped track will do wonders for the 1/4 mile times. However the trapspeed is a good power indicator.

Edited by MK2 (see edit history)

All there dragstrips are down hill in the states:p

To be honest I would like to see if these can make the power they say and I'm sure they could with all the proper mods. I think it would be the reliability that would be the issue. If you want to try this route I would say go for it and see what happens exhaust temp would I think be the biggest problem. Drift bear got some good results from his hybrids even though he has used meth to help keep the temps down but a great result

It's just an internet myth that the American dyno's read higher. You have to keep in mind that the American use racegas most of the time.

Even in Europe there are 400 rwhp bpu supras, it's not impossible at all. The bpu supras in the US dyno between 370-400rwhp on pump, everything higher it's very likely they are using racegas. Amir from this forum actually dyno'd in the US and the UK and the differences was minimal.

Btw the trapspeed from the Yanks back up their numbers.

Edit: missed Biebers last post. A good set of tyres, racegas and a prepped track will do wonders for the 1/4 mile times. However the trapspeed is a good power indicator.

That race gas could very well be the difference then, the only car that I know of over here that compares to American cars on stock twins is Drift_Bear's, running methanol, think that made about 450whp so you make a very good point...... It's a shame we can't get E85 or something similar at the pumps over here!

Stu hagen mod is a bleed valve fitted to turbo 1 to make it spool quicker and make more boost it also smoothens the transition between turbo1 and 2 a very good mod on my uk car but I dont know how it would be on the import mkiv tt assuming the same but dont know also thiers the t28s that hes done. Were as it goes for the guys up state your prob right it could be the e85 they use but however still dont understand how they are getting better 1/4mile times with power that is over rated oh and also whats the difference with uk spec and the us spec? Its just mk2 mentioned us spec cams!

Edited by firin Supra (see edit history)

UK/Euro/US spec are basically the same - engine, cams, injectors, turbos, etc. - only difference is the ECU (probably emissions related), Toyotas published power figures are also the same. Bolt on a few performance mods though and put it on a dyno and the US Supra outperforms all the others ;)

For those of you who are interested in any info or updates on these, i have been speaking to the owner Glenn Munro this morning. Seems a nice guy, and was pleased to hear about us mentioning there product here in the UK. I personally contacted them as i was interested in purchasing just the duel intake kit, which currently isn't available on its own, However Glenn has said that once production is up and running, he can supply these by themselves.

For anyone looking for updates on the progress of these, you can follow them here

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Munro-Racing-Turbochargers/191347344228870

Edited by SupraD06 (see edit history)

Guest Tuscani

Hi everyone. Thought I might throw my 2c in here. I think I am the only one so far to break 500 on the high flows with very basic mods. People are only just starting to see the potential in the stock sequential setup and with a bit of tweeking 500 + is very possible.

I started a build thread a long time ago but have changed direction again however you can read about it in the link below.

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/topic/74163-94-rz-jza80-512rwhp-high-flow-twins/

Guest Tuscani

Could be an american dyno who makes mainline dynos?? Does it make a difference haha? Read further down it did crack 500 again at a dyno day in 30 degree heat!! That was on a dyno dynamics dyno. :) Its quite nice to drive as well. Not anything like a single with lag then crazy wheel spin (not that all single setups are like that, not trying to start a war single vs twins hehe). I use it as a daily so it suits my needs.

Edited by Tuscani (see edit history)

• 1 year later...