The mkiv Supra Owners Club

uprated turbo for sequential system

firin Supra

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are just hybrid turbos with exaggerated power claims, if you are going to the expense of fitting all the supporting parts you'd need to run these, you'd get far better results fitting a small single DBB turbo. The other thing to consider is reliability, it's common for rebuilt turbo bearings and seals to fail prematurely.

This.

Has anyone on the forum even tried this method? Its seems tho people are sure it will not work from my research nobody has even done this so how can you be so sure I do how ever think it is possible as stu hagan has tried with gt28 and he was pushing them numbers easily with the sequential system now remember toyota had intensions of this car pushing 600bhp from factory the engine is well capable of delivering that how ever the turbos are not up2 the job mainly because of the exhaust manny and rhe turbos being too small how else would have toyota de tuned the car

So yeh with supported mods it is possible my point is the sequential system is not that restrictive to what we think it is but it is achivable and a really good alternative for guys who want to keep things as toyota intended to and also have the power aswell if this works like they quote it would its a bigstep forward and a very fast street car and dont forget how good it would be to drive

So yeh with supported mods it is possible my point is the sequential system is not that restrictive to what we think it is but it is achivable and a really good alternative for guys who want to keep things as toyota intended to and also have the power aswell if this works like they quote it would its a bigstep forward and a very fast street car and dont forget how good it would be to drive

this is why I wanna do it that and I think single conversions are to common

and they sound so good

or for a not so standard looking gt28 set up RPS Twin GT28RS Turbo Kit 500 whp @ 19psi

Mods: RPS Twin GT28RS Turbo Kit, AEM V2, 3" HKS Carbon Ti Exhaust and Dual Intake. Stock 3.0 2JZ, Fuel system and Ignition system. Actual boost is 19 psi per the AEM, not what the chart shows. Turbo kit will make more but injectors can't push any more fuel, upgrading that next.

Edited by james_cbr (see edit history)

this is why I wanna do it that and I think single conversions are to common

So go for it then :) Spend thousands trying to achieve the numbers so many before you have been promised and failed to deliver.

Theres a reason why so many people go for the single turbo set up, and, in the many years since the 2JZs birth in the Aristo, that so many have attempted yet nobody has succeeded to develop a true high power sequential set up. Good luck :)

So what you saying then swampy that the likes of stu hagen and the way he has gone about it has failed? If people like paul at whifbitz thought it wasnt achivable do you think he would waste time and money on somthing which he knows is not going to work and not forgeting his rep is also on the line hear im going to wait for paul to finish the project and then make my decision but either way I will post up with pics and videos of my attempt because I do believe hes on to a winner no desrespect to anyone on hear for trying in the past and not achiving their goal it could have been all sorts of factors but hats off to anyone that has tried that in its self is a big achievement

Have you actually driven a Supra with hybrid turbos fitted?

Below is the dyno graph of my Garrett GT3582R DBB single turbo overlayed with a dyno graph of sequential J-spec BPU twin turbo. Replacing the lightweight ceramic j-spec turbine wheels with larger, heavier hybrid turbine wheels will have a noticeable effect on the response of the turbos. 500 flywheel hp maybe possible with Hybrid turbos but you'll pay the price with significantly more lag, not my idea of a 'very fast street car'.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5578/picture1so5.png

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

No I havnt to be honest but looling at that graph gt35r is pretty good dnt get me wrong but its not stock appearing and its not what toyota intended to do if they wanted they could have like the mkiii for example on the other hand how much is the gt35r with manny, ecu etc everything you need its prob inte region of at least 5 to 10k by time your done on the other hand ct20 a pair maybe around £500 with everything you need £ 1300 to 2k maybe you tell me

or for a not so standard looking gt28 set up RPS Twin GT28RS Turbo Kit 500 whp @ 19psi

Mods: RPS Twin GT28RS Turbo Kit, AEM V2, 3" HKS Carbon Ti Exhaust and Dual Intake. Stock 3.0 2JZ, Fuel system and Ignition system. Actual boost is 19 psi per the AEM, not what the chart shows. Turbo kit will make more but injectors can't push any more fuel, upgrading that next.

That's an aftermarket parallel twin turbo kit, not stock bodied hybrid sequential turbos which is the subject of the thread.

No I havnt to be honest but looling at that graph gt35r is pretty good dnt get me wrong but its not stock appearing and its not what toyota intended to do if they wanted they could have like the mkiii for example on the other hand how much is the gt35r with manny, ecu etc everything you need its prob inte region of at least 5 to 10k by time your done on the other hand ct20 a pair maybe around £500 with everything you need £ 1300 to 2k maybe you tell me

It's not as simple as bolting on a pair of rebuilt hybrid turbos and hey presto 500+hp. If you want to make say 500hp with a pair of hybrid turbos or a small single turbo you will need exactly the same supporting parts (fueling, cooling, ECU, electronics, etc.) which is going to cost exactly the same. So if you're spending that much anyway, for the cost difference between a pair of new hybrid turbos and a single turbo kit you would get FAR better results (ie. more responsive, potentially more powerful, more reliable) going the single turbo route. If you drove both you'd see exactly what I mean.

It's not as simple as bolting on a pair of rebuilt hybrid turbos and hey presto 500+hp. If you want to make say 500hp with a pair of hybrid turbos or a small single turbo you will need exactly the same supporting parts (fueling, cooling, ECU, electronics, etc.) which is going to cost exactly the same. So if you're spending that much anyway, for the cost difference between a pair of new hybrid turbos and a single turbo kit you would get FAR better results (ie. more responsive, potentially more powerful, more reliable) going the single turbo route. If you drove both you'd see exactly what I mean.

This was exactly my point in the first page of the thread.

Firin, check the australian supraforums. I'm pretty sure there are several people running these in the 500 range.

I remember one guy making +/- 540hp at 20 psi on pumpgas. Personally I would go with the Stu Hagen gt28r twins (if you want the stock appearance), these are the most proven stock looking twins on the market and will break into the 460-500rwhp on pumpgas and basic bpu mods (stock block, head and US-cams). There is a huge thread about them on supraforums.com

Edit: I'm not sure if the BNR gt28r's are available for jspec turbos.

Edited by MK2 (see edit history)

Mk2 thanks for the support im currently running the stu hagan mod on my uk stock twins and its an absolute animal compared to just bpu it really transforms the car iv now got alot more torque at 1.5k rpm upwards and also when the second turbo comes on theirs hardly any dip before the transition and bam your gone its a beast now and this is why I iv falling In love with the car all over again I have seen a fair few vids from the guys in the states running including stu hagens and personally I would go for the stu hagen gt28 turbos

Firin, check the australian supraforums. I'm pretty sure there are several people running these in the 500 range.

I remember one guy making +/- 540hp at 20 psi on pumpgas. Personally I would go with the Stu Hagen gt28r twins (if you want the stock appearance), these are the most proven stock looking twins on the market and will break into the 460-500rwhp on pumpgas and basic bpu mods (stock block, head and US-cams). There is a huge thread about them on supraforums.com

Edit: I'm not sure if the BNR gt28r's are available for jspec turbos.

500 wheel hp is going to require more than just basic BPU modification, even if the turbos could flow enough air to make that power it won't get anywhere near without bigger injectors and an aftermarket ECU. As an example this UK spec Supra maxed out 472 flywheel hp running the stock 540cc injectors and Syvecs ECU, the smaller 440cc injectors on the j-spec would be at their limit at just over 400 flywheel hp http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?234626-just-fitted-gt28-twin-turbos

They are available for the j-spec turbos apparently, the biggest problem with j-spec turbos though will be the size of the wastegate, the stock wastegate is too small to control the stock CT20 turbos. Every used set of j-spec turbos I've seen (even a relatively new set with a few thousand miles on them that I had) have had a crack in the turbine housing, opening the wastegate out will just make this area even weaker.

The other thing to note is that the GT28 cartridge used is the journal bearing version NOT the double ball bearing version - as the name may suggest - so there is not a huge difference between the GT28 hybrids and other hybrid turbos that have been on the market for years.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

The inconsistency between American power figures and our dyno readouts should also be taken into consideration, the trend seems to be that American dyno's give out a higher figure than ours ( or to appease any Americans reading, our dyno's read low, because Americans are never wrong :) ) So if you get the GT28's and they only make 500 flywheel horsepower, will you think it would have been worth the money?