The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Spec Brakes or Big Brake Kit?

Hassan

just fitted a custom AP racing brake kit for a customer with a celica st205. he bought them through some company in the midlands, great bit of kit and very well put together but he paid £2600 for just calipers, mounts, pads and disks. Didn't even come with brake lines.

It does make me wander how much is your paying for the name, because the Ksport ones are around £1000.00 from various places and to be honest, i couldn't see that much difference in quality, material or specifications.

Because the AP were racing setup they had no pad springs or anything so are noisy as anything.

Tim

Personally I would go with a big brake kit any day over uk spec brakes. The uk brakes just like the jap spec brakes don't offer the same pedal feel that a big brake kit does, the bbk gives so much more confidence with your braking, just what you need.

I've been through all of the brakes over the years and I started out with jap spec with Porterfield race pads and even on the track they don't fade. Bbk is all about feel and stopping power though, the jap and uk spec has neither of these compared.

I would highly recommend the K-Sport brakes too, this is pretty much all we fit these days which might come down to price but along with the value they also offer great quality and look too. And the stopping power and feel they give is immense compared to jap/UK brakes.

From my experience UK-spec calipers are well up to the job on track and/or fast road.

Like others have said upgrading the pads, discs, brake lines and making sure the fluid is in good condition will give you more than enough braking potential for the road and track. Stopping from 150mph has never been a problem for me in the past.

Some have mentioned CW fast road pads; I've used these in the past and yes they do give good friction levels and would suit most applications; but I moved on to Carbotech Pads shortly afterwards and found them to be better for my liking.

what are the Ksport setups like with noise compared to UK spec on the supra?

i've used willwoods on my own personal daily drive starlet and they were noisy and rattly as hell to start with. i made up some custom pad springs and they were quiet but you still get the typical big clunk when you reverse then go forward as the pads re-settle.

Tim

i've used willwoods on my own personal daily drive starlet and they were noisy and rattly as hell to start with. i made up some custom pad springs and they were quiet but you still get the typical big clunk when you reverse then go forward as the pads re-settle.

Tim

Pretty quiet actually, never noticed any noise from them at all. The UK spec brakes can clunk back and forth, we fitted a brand new set with Toyota pads the other day and it was doing that.

Strange - had UK Brakes on my car for 8 out of the 9 years. They NEVER Rattled. Switched to KAD Brakes cause and they looked flashy however were an absolute nightmare with rattles and clonks.

I'd never consider an aftermarket kit unless it was from a reputable brand that designed the kit not just for track racing but also for street use.

imi

Edited by imi (see edit history)

Tim

Wilwood products are poor quality in my experience.

• 1 month later...

Hi its a old thread but just to ask. Has anyone used these or heard off these brakes?

http://bit.ly/1jIOPIm

My mate has bought a set for his BMW M5 V10 he loves them and says they are 100 times better than the oems he had before. But i wanted to see if anyone on here has used them.

Edited by Hassan (see edit history)