The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Turbo Solution??

MaveriK

Guest Terry S
I've never driven or fitted one either (don't mention pattern emerging), and I still believe that twins of some kind are better for low budget replacements.

Maybe not better overall for many reasons, but better for LOW BUDGET replacements of broken stocks.

That depends, if they are truly £1800 ( which seems a ridiculous amount for just 2 rehashed turbos) Then how are they any cheaper to a budget single kit.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never driven or fitted one either (don't mention pattern emerging), and I still believe that twins of some kind are better for low budget replacements.

Maybe not better overall for many reasons, but better for LOW BUDGET replacements of broken stocks.

Yes they are but I wouldn't waste money on Hybrids. I'd stick with stock turbo's if you are on a low low budget.

The ECU choice is not down to the single turbo kit. We all know what's the right way to do things...it's not a single turbo's fault if the owner can't do things properly.

Surely that's a false statement, you have to take everything into account, you can't say I'll go single cos it doesn't cost that much and it's easier to fit, but bugger me I can't drive my car because it hasn't been mapped away from standard!!

Yes they are but I wouldn't waste money on Hybrids. I'd stick with stock turbo's if you are on a low low budget.

Can hybrids not be used with (almost) everything else standard? Especially the map?

A BPU car can effectively stick hybrids in and have a little bit more life in the turbos and maybe a bit more power, with no real worries.

With a single at the very least you need a new map for fuelling - and there are definitely concerns about the cost of tuning the various managements available.

Guest Terry S
Nothing modified will ever work like stock unless you pump money into it.

So don't modify it if you don't have a decent budget.

unless of course the hybrids are sh1t, then they will be like stock and a complete fecking waste of money.

Yes I can explain the rings - failure through putting on a blower that worked them too hard for their state of health...

I think this has got to the point were we are all just blowing smoke. Rings are rings and if they are worn they are worn...Singles will show them up at HIGH boost and I mean high far quicker than hybrids but that does not destract from the FACT that sinlges are NOT the cause of ring failure. You answered you own statment when saying 330 RWH ...does the cost of hybrids justify this little increase power. Its comon knowlege how strong the 2jz is in GOOD condition so a 500 bhp single is not beyond the engine by a long way. I would like to see a set of hybrids that run 1.6 bar and dont bring up a worn ring issue like a single at the same level of boost. If you are saying that Singles Cause ring failure then that is pure misguided information and IF the hot ticket is saying that hybrids dont show ring wear then is that not just hiding a problem that is there by running less boost? in that case lets wright of NOS ,RPM increases and generaly raising boost full stop

Guest Terry S
How much ARE hybrids?

I thought you could get them for like £800 or less?

Now that is a much more reasonable amount of Money, thought £1800 was quoted somewhere

Put this into MikeyH's thread but i guess it really needs its own.

I know this is going to open that old can of beans and for that i am sorry. I have spoken to TBourner, Paul at Miami-GT and Simon Norris at Norris Designs already about this but i am a believer that you cant have enough info. My tubbies dont smoke during normal operation or during startup but during highboost/thrashing (which i rarely do obviously!) or during afterrun (or whatever the clever people call it) they smoke but not enough for me to see it from the drivers seat. So, they are on the way out and its only a matter of time before they go bang bang.

My options as i see it are as follows :-

a) replace with scrappers and run the risc of them going bang far too soon £1000.

b) Go new hybrids £1800.

c) Go single £take out 2nd mortgage.

d) Get 2nd hand hybrids of decent quality, get them refurbed and installed £1400.

What are peoples thoughts on the subject??

Guest Terry S
1300 for hybrids and 500 to fit so 1800

for stage 3

so £650 each for some rehashed turbos as opposed to 1 brand new one, manifold adaptor. 3" Downpipe, new external wastegate, IC pipe, 3" intake, K&N filter and a hard IC pipe, mmm

Please dont get me wrong, I really do believe hybrids have their place, but I loathe the stream of misinformation that gets spouted about singles.

i was thinkin of the hybrid route but after seein the gains Vs costs, a single is the only way forward. The main thing i don't like about sequential turbos is (as Bobbeh was on about i think) the unpredictability of it kickin in around a corner, a single seems a lot more driveable (only been in one, never driven one)

As it's been said, if you're gonna put hybrids on you'll have to mess about with injectors (on Jspecs) and ECUs etc, whats the point? For an extra grand or so you could be lookin at a single with a lot more potential. If you're only gonna run hybrids at 1 bar etc, might as well just put stocks back on. A lot of the cost in hyrbids and singles is down to strippin old turbos out etc (unless you do it yourself)