The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Slutter's 800HP Forged Motor Build! (Update Page 4! 6/10/13)

Slutters

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coming together nicely mate. :)

with the eagle rods, well with any rod you should always measure the the pin and clearance of the little end bush. I have found sometimes the eagles come a little rough but all conrods regardless of manufacturer should be spec'd for the job upon installation. every rod i install has a light run on the rod hone machine, weather it just to get it perfect or to increase a clearance. People don't see this as a part that needs doing, but should be treated just like the cylinder clearances, Would you install a piston without measuring it :) We do this on all rod before installation also double check the balance. on the ones I've built I go down to 1/3rd of a gram tolerance on the full piston,rod,bearing weight.

With the power of them you should be fine. Again people say there cheap in the 3sgte world opting for pauter over them, but at 3 times the price pauter can be a little overpriced for the needs. Again i know its not really reliant but I used Eagle conrods on our 3sgte drag engine when I was doing the 1/4mile world record attempt. This engine made 955bhp at 2.7bar of boost and 9000rpm redline on a 4 cylinder 2.0ltr engine. If i remember correctly in the 2-3 years of its development starting at 600bhp and going upwards the conrods where the only thing that didn't give us any grief, breakages or anything and were the same conrods from when we started to when we finished. All that needed to be done was the occasional little end swap out because of wear between rebuilds.

so this should be testiment to there strength and i believe the 2jz and 3s conrods are extremely close if not identical.

Tim

coming together nicely mate. :)

with the eagle rods, well with any rod you should always measure the the pin and clearance of the little end bush. I have found sometimes the eagles come a little rough but all conrods regardless of manufacturer should be spec'd for the job upon installation. every rod i install has a light run on the rod hone machine, weather it just to get it perfect or to increase a clearance. People don't see this as a part that needs doing, but should be treated just like the cylinder clearances, Would you install a piston without measuring it :) We do this on all rod before installation also double check the balance. on the ones I've built I go down to 1/3rd of a gram tolerance on the full piston,rod,bearing weight.

With the power of them you should be fine. Again people say there cheap in the 3sgte world opting for pauter over them, but at 3 times the price pauter can be a little overpriced for the needs. Again i know its not really reliant but I used Eagle conrods on our 3sgte drag engine when I was doing the 1/4mile world record attempt. This engine made 955bhp at 2.7bar of boost and 9000rpm redline on a 4 cylinder 2.0ltr engine. If i remember correctly in the 2-3 years of its development starting at 600bhp and going upwards the conrods where the only thing that didn't give us any grief, breakages or anything and were the same conrods from when we started to when we finished. All that needed to be done was the occasional little end swap out because of wear between rebuilds.

so this should be testiment to there strength and i believe the 2jz and 3s conrods are extremely close if not identical.

Tim

Wow! 2.7Bar and 9k RPM! :D Mental!

I have a question for you Tim, with regards to the piston pins, how exactly do they get lubrication? I know the stock rods have an oil passage that goes through the rod, however these new Eagles don't. They have a drilling either side of the little end so I imagine its splash feed via the under piston jet's?

Also with regard to the ARP's rod bolts, I had to install them 3 times, first to seat the bearings, 2nd to Plasti gauge, and last time to fit them, I did measure a 0.01mm difference between stage 1 and 2 but would you consider replacing?

Thanks

Adam

lol it was for the world drag record so had to be a bit pokey lol

Yes the bigend bearings take alot of force and are also alot of movement with the crank rotation inside so need that high pressure oil feed, the little end takes relatively small movement as its only basically rocking back and forth, so only a small amount of lubrication is needed. This is provided by as you say the small holes on the side which will get fed by the oil squirters in the block and general windage of the oil in the crank case.

Rod bolts will be ok as they've not had any heat cycles going through them. You'll probably find the 0.01mm is just an error in measuring because there still virgin in terms of use and strain.

Tim

lol it was for the world drag record so had to be a bit pokey lol

Yes the bigend bearings take alot of force and are also alot of movement with the crank rotation inside so need that high pressure oil feed, the little end takes relatively small movement as its only basically rocking back and forth, so only a small amount of lubrication is needed. This is provided by as you say the small holes on the side which will get fed by the oil squirters in the block and general windage of the oil in the crank case.

Rod bolts will be ok as they've not had any heat cycles going through them. You'll probably find the 0.01mm is just an error in measuring because there still virgin in terms of use and strain.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I did think it was measuring error to be honest. Just waiting for the missing set of piston locks to arrive then I can get the head back on! :) Slightly worried about all these FMS leaks I am reading about but I am thinking with a brand new pump if should be fine. It's hard to combat against issues when no one knows 100% what causes them! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, Tim do you have an engine dyno? How much for a run in cycle?

Thanks

Adam

FMS? is that front main seal? sorry its a supra terminology

yeah i totally understand mate.

No i like to run engines in the old fashioned way, especially on a road going car as i find dyno break ins don't give great leak down and longevity for road going applications. Race that are regularly stripped down doesn't really matter as baptism of fire i find is best lol

Tim

FMS? is that front main seal? sorry its a supra terminology

yeah i totally understand mate.

No i like to run engines in the old fashioned way, especially on a road going car as i find dyno break ins don't give great leak down and longevity for road going applications. Race that are regularly stripped down doesn't really matter as baptism of fire i find is best lol

Tim

Ahh, you go with that school of thought? :D

I must admit I was thinking of leaving the boost at say 5PSI to run it in then up it. I guess by running it in hard at least you know sooner rather than later if it's going to pop... :D

its more confienece with the race engines. Prime example that drag car i was doing, why spend 1000miles running it in, when its going to get rebuilt after 10miles of drag strip action. But for longevity you want to break everything in gradually. But don't be to kind of you glaze the bores.

Its a catch22 of the bearings want to be bedding in nicely and gentle where the piston rings want a bit of force to make them bed in correctly. This is why when i first fire an engine up i hold the revs at 3k for around 20-30mins while on the ramp. Just to let everything bed in nicely, then go out and do a drive, under 3000rpm. if you get a little bit of boost no worries as long as its not alot. 50 miles drop the oil. this is mainly because anything missed in cleaning process (shouldn't be any) and any fine metal particles from parts bedding in with be the most extensive in the first 50 miles

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Right guys big update! :D

Been bit busy so struggling but nearly there now. :)

So unpacked my new oil pump and fitted the new seal:

Masked up and painted

Swapping parts over from the old.

Nice and clean!

To prevent startup wear I packed the pump with assembly lube. Should keep it all good till it fires.

Sealer on and fitted up

Cleaned and fitted my sensors

Unwapped my refurbished head, 3 angle valve seats, new stem seals, titanium retainers and stronger single valve springs. All Brian Crower stuff. :D

checking valve clearances, just to be safe.

Cams removed and head deep cleaned

Chambers checked and cleaned

Old water feed to throttle body removed and tapped for blank bolt

Head recleaned and masked

Painting time! :D

Next up fitted my new Whifbitz welded crank pulley!

Also fitted my water neck rotation plate

Along with new OEM stat and water neck

Fitted the new OEM water pump also

Rotation plate on

Next up painted the upper sump housing. Cleaned and masked up.

Bottom end now complete! :D

Head on next, ARP’s going in

Threadlocked

Last clean of the head

And shes on! :D

Stripped and cleaned all the lifters and assembly lube added.

Fitted new rear seal

Tourqed up

Fitted upper and lower sump

New super magnetic sump plug next to the old one to catch any nasty’s

Baffle and strainer

And bottom end is finished! :D

Cams fitted, hooks tempory added to lift engine to fit rear main seal… ;)

New seals

Cams tourqed in

Cam back plate

New Whifbitz billet tensioner, great bit of kit! Well worth the money for that extra safety!

Also brought a new Toyota bearing and arm just for the bearing

Stripped the new OEM one down, OEM on the left, Whifbitz on the right

Whifbitz assembled and looking good

Fitted like OEM, great bit of kit Paul

Also fitted my Garage Whifbitz pulleys, another great bit of kit Paul. :D

New tensioner and Gates racing belt.

Covers cleaned with new bolts and fitted

Made a start fitting the lower inlet. Thick Thermal Insulated gaskets to stop heat soak

There were are guys nearly there now! :D

More to come soon! Thanks for reading

How did you remove the water feed pipe on the head. Did you drill it out?

Hi mate, no just use a pair of mole grips and twist it out, its only glued in place. :)

Impressive work mate. WOW.

I changed my OEM thermostat for a TRD one, as some say it's a must for big power engines. Just to throw up some ideas. ;)

Thanks mate, I did think about it but I read a post by Chris Wilson saying you need a very good reason to step away from the stock one so I stuck with it.... :)

The big question on my lips is , who are you going to let map it this time? , i would hate to see recurrance of what happened last time , after so much great work you have put in

Sam from TDI South with out a doubt. :) He maps race cars for Lemans etc and I really trust him. Plus the dyno setup is like nothing I have ever seen anywhere before.

Also thinking of taking it there to be run in, they have designed a dyno run in program that they have used over a decade with no failures so far... :blink:

Only thing I am considering is switching ECU's. Depending on what I can get for mine that is.

Sam from TDI South with out a doubt. :) He maps race cars for Lemans etc and I really trust him. Plus the dyno setup is like nothing I have ever seen anywhere before.

Also thinking of taking it there to be run in, they have designed a dyno run in program that they have used over a decade with no failures so far... :blink:

Only thing I am considering is switching ECU's. Depending on what I can get for mine that is.

yep i would have to agree he mapped mine also, but i only have a fic piggy back so not quite so hard but great guys all round , they did a complete check of my car before they even would take it out,commented on my screamer being close to the autobox oil lines, re routed some vac pipes for me exellent service i must say good choice !!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

Last update from me on this, its now finished! Will chuck a few updates on after fitting etc.

Got my injectors back from flow testing, needed a new one as the atomization was not great.

Numbered all the injectors and fitted them to the rail.

Fitted to the lower inlet

Removed the tape, you can see the port job on the lower runner

Got my covers back from being bling’ed!

Drilled and tapped to 1/2NPT then fitted the 10AN adapters

And fitted!

Inlet manifold fitted

New polished water neck vs the old one…

Fitted that

Dipstick tube and inlet support painted and fitted

Shaved the tensioner

Fitted that on

I am going with an aftermarket oil cooler, I didn’t want to run the stock one again as I was worried about loading the water system with heat.

New bolt adapter from garage whifbitz

Oil setup fitted

Loom on and alt fitted!

Its all done!

Thanks for reading guys, next update in a week or so!