The mkiv Supra Owners Club

USB port? Anyone?

kitch79

After a few days of charging my iPhone and iPod via the 12v lighter in dash, I've grew frustrated with the wire touching my leg, the wire and plug looking rubbish, and having to unplug and hide it away once I park...

I was wondering as there are loooaaads of these at work, has anyone ever installed a USB port in a car? In the supra centre console tbp.

as its not going to be for data transfer it might not even need all 5 cores in the cable, purely to charge.

IMG_3482.JPG

I got this plugged in, everyone who gets in the passenger seat always says "You such a geek man" little do they know it is just a plug in!! :D

http://www.maplin.co.uk/universal-in-car-mini-dc-to-twin-usb-adaptor-591369

I have ordered a net phone holder so then I can place my phone in there so no cables touch my leg whilst it is charging & it then looks nice & neat. :)

Cheers guys, after a quick google, and MGF forum gave me a better idea, similar to yours Abz, buy one butcher it :) and wire into lighter behind the scenes

Avoids having to wire what I got from work, and the potential voltage difference. it'll still be getting hidden tho

Cheap enough

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/35286983/736098556/Griffin-2-1A-Mini-Bullet-Dual-Usb-Ports-Car-Charger/ListingDetails.html?searchstring=usb+port&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Annnnnd ordered...

Cheers guys, after a quick google, and MGF forum gave me a better idea, similar to yours Abz, buy one butcher it :) and wire into lighter behind the scenes

Avoids having to wire what I got from work, and the potential voltage difference. it'll still be getting hidden tho

Cheap enough

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/35286983/736098556/Griffin-2-1A-Mini-Bullet-Dual-Usb-Ports-Car-Charger/ListingDetails.html?searchstring=usb+port&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Annnnnd ordered...

No worries, this is a much better & quicker route than tapping it into the lighter wiring itself.

The beauty of the Maplin one is that it fits flush with the dash & perfect rounding so it looks like it is supposed to be there in the first place. :D

Would you mind both taking a photo of your USB plug ins? I think I may have to get one.

Ive only just ordered mine off Play.com ;) cant take a pic yet ha.

BUT... found this, same adaptor, different site, in car pics :D

http://www.lelong.com.my/griffin-powerjolt-dual-universal-usb-car-micro-charger-vmart126-109699257-2013-06-Sale-P.htm

I need one of these, take it you can charge your iphones etc using the standard USB? ill pay a visit to maplins :-)

Yeh, can charge iPhone/pod/pad anything that U can buy a USB wire for really... Including my hair clippers :)

I have the single version of the Maplin one and it sits and looks perfect to me....

[ATTACH]173759[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]173760[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]173761[/ATTACH]

Ooooh I like that lol.

Maybe I should of bought that one ha. al still butcher the cheap griffin one first tho.

And there we have my offering, off Play/com, made by Griffin, came it post today, its tiny!

Prefer yours Abz, but for £3.50... less than 3 quid on ebay too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]173905[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]173906[/ATTACH]

That's 2.1A too, so it'll charge tablets etc. It'll also charge the phones at their optimum speed. I reckon I'll be buying a couple of those :)

And there we have my offering, off Play/com, made by Griffin, came it post today, its tiny!

Prefer yours Abz, but for £3.50... less than 3 quid on ebay too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]173905[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]173906[/ATTACH]

That still looks pretty clean, an for £3.50 you can't complain. Beats cutting up the lighter wires & splicing in a USB port!

I just use the usb port on my cd player or mainly charge things before I leave the house :D

I thought its a nice touch seeing as most things these days are USB charged. You don't now need to buy a separate car charger for all your gadgets, most main ones come apart to leave you just the USB cable element. :)

I had one of those Griffin ones. They are a royal PITA to remove again. My one now permanently resides in an L200 out in Jordan, as I couldn't get it back out :(

The Maplin one has a little handle to make it easier to take out, which was useful! No need to leave your gadgets inside Jordan again :D

I had one of those Griffin ones. They are a royal PITA to remove again. My one now permanently resides in an L200 out in Jordan, as I couldn't get it back out :(

THIS... Is very true! I carefully used a key to get it out after the photo! (its still getting hidden in centre console at the weekend)

The Maplin one has a little handle to make it easier to take out, which was useful! No need to leave your gadgets inside Jordan again :D

:rlol:

I have a different one now, which is much easier to get in and out. Slides in nice and easy, and it comes out easily if you give it a little tug ;)