The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo gurus - help please! T88-34D?

James

I have a uprated head (bigger valves/ported 280 cams with uprated springs etc). Standard bottom end.

Its like this, if you want to drive the car normally then keep it under 4500 rpm, if you want to be a loon go past it. Very easy to drive with as your style of driving determines how the car goes. Its not like you can never use the car in anger unless you are on a motorway.

Any single supra is a bit of an animal, you will love it.

Put it this way, I have spent tens of thousands of pounds on my car uprating this and that, but the T88 is still on it, so It cant be "that" bad... Still has a great reputation for a bruiser turbo and still is a really expensive kit over the pond.

Lastly the video posted is a slightly different turbo, being a T88H (the biggest out of the range) they are rated to over 1000bhp, he 34d (depending on what spec as there are a few sizes in wheels etc) will support up to 800+

My car was running 1000cc injectors, standard engine and uprated fuel pump and made 550bhp at just 1.2 bar when I first got it...

Ok excellent that is good to know! I'm just wanting to know what I'd be dealing with really! :) As I've been trawling through all of the different available cars I've noticed that a few of them are running the T88 (one is a Top Secret Final Evolution and the other a Top Secret GT300 widebody...).

Your description puts my mind at ease - I just wanted to ensure that it wasn't the case of (as someone said earlier) 'nothing nothing nothing BOOM' rendering it useless unless on a massive straight. That is cool though. To be honest, it'll probably be more predictable than the stock sequential twins :lol:

Haha yeah, if you've invested in this, that and the next thing on your - lovely - car, yet kept the T88 on there, it must be doing something right!

I did a bit of reading up on the different variants of the T88 earlier on this afternoon and saw the T88H and also the different compressor sizes for the 34d (18 being a common one it seems?).

This has got me thinking in overtime now haha! Thanks again mate, very helpful :thumbs:

Id suggest turning up to one of the supra meets closer to your location and get a passenger ride in a few single supras, fairly sure fellow members wouldn't mind taking you out for a spin. that way you will get a more real world appreciation of the various turbo setups and their impact on the drive-ability of the car. I test-drove a "suped" up T88 Supra and it definitely wasn't for me.

It'd probably cost around £1500 to chop it out for a brand new DBB billet based turbo that'd give the same power for 1500rpm better spool. That includes any fittings and fabbing that might be needed to get it to fit. So not the end of the world if you can't live with it.

Compare a T88 dyno chart to a GT35R type turbo and you might change your mind about the lag :) But better yet, do what imi says and get a test drive.

I'd love to get to a meet where there were a couple of different single setups but I think the only car anywhere near me with a non TT configuration is Keith (kslb)'s VVTi. It has a T67 if I remember correctly. I'll maybe try to twist his arm for a little meet-up at some point to see what it is like and go from there.

The rest of this car is pretty nice as well, so if I read that it has a good accompanying spec I'd probably opt for it and - as mentioned - could always change out a turbo at some point if that is what was required! That is probably a much easier option than going for a TT6 BPU and needing to go all out from there with it :)

Just need to hear back on the rest of the spec before I make a decision :)

Guest Nicholas

James, I've owned a HKS T04R, DBB T67, HKS T51, HKS T62RBB and a GT47-88 by far the most fun was the T51, T67 was too small for me and lacked power top end, T88 is a seriously good turbo and it won't be that laggy, my only reservation would be the age of the Turbo as I imagine they stopped making them a while ago. Can you get Jurgen looking for a T51?

The T88 has had a bit of stick off people saying they ate too old school, way too laggy and a bit shite. Probably almost all have never been in a T88 supra. I love mine, yes its laggy but it stops me driving like a lunatic all the time. You can drive off boost and then give it some and have some fun. Comes online around 4800 rpm and I have a 7500 rev limit.

They are a reliable turbo, give good power and are easy to live with. They sound immense when they come online aswell. Ye s there are far better turbos but you pay more for them. Do not be put off. You will love it...

You got to hear Add's turbo... it sound immense, it makes you go weak at the knees :love:

Everytime Add was near me on Dragonball and put his foot down it sounded insane :cool:

James, I've owned a HKS T04R, DBB T67, HKS T51, HKS T62RBB and a GT47-88 by far the most fun was the T51, T67 was too small for me and lacked power top end, T88 is a seriously good turbo and it won't be that laggy, my only reservation would be the age of the Turbo as I imagine they stopped making them a while ago. Can you get Jurgen looking for a T51?

The sound alone of a T51 is enough for me to want one :) I haven't been able to find anything with a single that isn't a T88 apart from a white Top Secret kitted car with a T78 on it.

If anything comes up before I get the full spec of the T88 one through then I may consider it, otherwise this one may be the way to go for now :)

You found the top end of a T67 "lacking power" at around 600bhp :D It's no surprise you don't mind a bigger laggier turbo as obviously that's what you like/need/fits your driving style. This is no criticism, just that the OP should be aware that some people consider a T67 borderline for lag and driveability, but has easily enough power, so the test drive is really what's needed.

Guest Nicholas
You found the top end of a T67 "lacking power" at around 600bhp :D It's no surprise you don't mind a bigger laggier turbo as obviously that's what you like/need/fits your driving style. This is no criticism, just that the OP should be aware that some people consider a T67 borderline for lag and driveability, but has easily enough power, so the test drive is really what's needed.

This is very true, James you should go on a road trip around the UK getting passenger rides from the forum before you decide :D