The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Installing DRLs

listy

I have my MOT coming up this month, and the metal contacts in my sidelight bulb holders are rusted to high heaven, and won't conduct.

After speaking to a few traders and looking on line, I can't find replacement bulb holders anywhere.

Hence thinking of getting DRLs. These would simply be replacing my side lights.

The question I have is, could I cut he bulb holders off the wires, and join them to the DRLs, so they work of the light stalk, or would I have to fully hard wire them in?

If the latter, can someone give me a simple how to?

Heckler (Si) made me some custom LED front lights, with the indicators built in too. I keep meaning to have them fitted but just not had the chance.

I might get them done next month to show you. Hopefully it will update the front a little.

As long as their either side of the car it's ok. And they have to be white.

:thumbs:

Yep. Will be fitted either side, either below the indicators, or upright in the outer vents of the TS front. Not sure yet, will have to see how they look in each place.

How far apart to they have to be Ben?

Heckler (Si) made me some custom LED front lights, with the indicators built in too. I keep meaning to have them fitted but just not had the chance.

I might get them done next month to show you. Hopefully it will update the front a little.

Any pics of them? I know there not fitted but if its similar to what I'm thinking I'll need to speak to Si again lol

Nope thinking complete LED strips/pcb in the side lights that act as an indicator too, so if Si can do that I'm tempted, want to see what he's done for Abz

Ah got you. As fogs aren't required at the front for mot, I'm thinking of moving my indicators up to the fog position, and putting the DRLs inside the facelift indicators. Might get he same again in orange and throw them in there too.

Instant LED sidelights and indicators.

Any pics of them? I know there not fitted but if its similar to what I'm thinking I'll need to speak to Si again lol

His made them within the facelift sidelights for me, so you can't really tell until you switch the lights on.

I'll get a picture of the unit later for you guys :)

Don't DRL's have to turn off when you switch the lights on? If you just wired them into the sidelight wiring you would just have extra bright sidelights.

I have HIDs anyway, so I'm sure it would make very little difference really.

Hopefully they turn up this week, and I'll have them fitted at the weekend. If they seem too bright, I'll just add a resistor into the wiring ;)

Plus, they are being used as sidelights, not DRLs ;)

Edited by listy (see edit history)

Don't DRL's have to turn off when you switch the lights on? If you just wired them into the sidelight wiring you would just have extra bright sidelights.

You could use a relay and maybe even a resistor to reduce the brightness of the LED's when the dipped beams are turned on.