The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ECU screenshots, is this normal?

Kaan W

Id run it on a dyno or something to get it up to those high speeds/temps and see if something fails or it happens again.....

This. I wouldn't risk it on road in case the same happens again.

I'd still take it to Robs and get it fully checked over. Better safe than sorry. What you don't want is to get it on a dyno, and something else(or the same thing) happen again, and do more damage.

This. I wouldn't risk it on road in case the same happens again.

I'd still take it to Robs and get it fully checked over. Better safe than sorry. What you don't want is to get it on a dyno, and something else(or the same thing) happen again, and do more damage.

I meant have a mechanic check it first then some high speed runs :) Id want it tied down and some thorough testing done before i got behind the wheel again.

I'd send ryan the logs and see if be can see what happened.

I've just read the other thread.

Surely if you we're still doing 70 at the roundabout, the steering still shouldn't be assisted at those speeds?

So I wouldn't of thought you'd have noticed any difference in the steering (if it shouldn't be assisted).

You ever tried driving a car with wheels as wide as most supra's without power steering? no engine = no power steering btw

You are doubtlessly a very lucky individual, I don't think that auto boxes like being forced to operate when the engine isn't running which is why i am sure I've heard you can't tow a supra far without taking out the prop shaft.

No engine also means no brakes then as well. Thats proper scary sh*t. I boiled my brake fluid once hauling a car down from a hefty speed and it is stunning how quickly it all gets very horrible

Crux of it is that if you have an ecu that shuts your engine down if it senses low oil pressure I'd be getting an oil pressure gauge with a warning way above the trip pressure of the ecu. I'd also stop being the last of the late brakers for now too!

You ever tried driving a car with wheels as wide as most supra's without power steering? no engine = no power steering btw

Yes.

But if he was still doing 70mph then on most cars (not sure on the supra?) the power steering is cut/reduced over a certain speed.

I run a power assisted rack on my car but without it working and at any speeds above 30/40mph the force needed to turn the wheel is just the same as with it working.

My point was that if he was still doing 70mph then he shouldn't of noticed much/any difference in the steering.

Brakes yes, as ive personally had the vaccum pipe to the reservoir come off at 140+ and it's not a nice feeling!

Yes.

But if he was still doing 70mph then on most cars (not sure on the supra?) the power steering is cut/reduced over a certain speed.

I run a power assisted rack on my car but without it working and at any speeds above 30/40mph the force needed to turn the wheel is just the same as with it working.

My point was that if he was still doing 70mph then he shouldn't of noticed much/any difference in the steering.

Brakes yes, as ive personally had the vaccum pipe to the reservoir come off at 140+ and it's not a nice feeling!

Obviously not as I could hardly turn the steering wheel lol. the only thing I can think of is the resistance the fluid and pump cause when not running trying to steer against it means its much harder for the rack to move. But im not a mechanic so could be wrong :) Or then again it could be where im just not use to steering without the pump so it was unexpected and seemed much harder, either way it seemed very heavy to turn even at them speeds.

Obviously not as I could hardly turn the steering wheel lol. the only thing I can think of is the resistance the fluid and pump cause when not running trying to steer against it means its much harder for the rack to move. But im not a mechanic so could be wrong :) Or then again it could be where im just not use to steering without the pump so it was unexpected and seemed much harder, either way it seemed very heavy to turn even at them speeds.

OK, how about this. So you can see exactly what it feels like to drive without power assistance and servo brakes you find a nice long road or area (maybe your private road) and cut your engine in a controlled fashion for a few moments? Get up to a reasonable speed and cut the engine, get a feel of what the steering now feels like and sample the brakes, although if your one way valve inthe vacuum pipe is good you will probably still have some servo assistance left in the servo, but it will give you an idea of what it feels like. Alternatively if you dont fancy risking that, get some one to tow you along a straight stretch of road in neutral (but not too far as you are auto and its not good for them) with no engine running and try your brakes and steering, you will be shocked at how it feels I am sure.

OK, how about this. So you can see exactly what it feels like to drive without power assistance and servo brakes you find a nice long road or area (maybe your private road) and cut your engine in a controlled fashion for a few moments? Get up to a reasonable speed and cut the engine, get a feel of what the steering now feels like and sample the brakes, although if your one way valve inthe vacuum pipe is good you will probably still have some servo assistance left in the servo, but it will give you an idea of what it feels like. Alternatively if you dont fancy risking that, get some one to tow you along a straight stretch of road in neutral (but not too far as you are auto and its not good for them) with no engine running and try your brakes and steering, you will be shocked at how it feels I am sure.

Lets be honest the auto box is doing a decent job dealing with the power levels already, any more tomfoolery after the last stunt is not going to do it any favours, plus I'm sure he will never forget the feeling after that experience.

Lets be honest the auto box is doing a decent job dealing with the power levels already, any more tomfoolery after the last stunt is not going to do it any favours, plus I'm sure he will never forget the feeling after that experience.

Its a Titan box mate :) But yeah there will definately be more control over my silly behaviour next time.

Yes.

You would normally be travelling along in a straight line at 70 mph or not far off it ie 5 degrees steering either way max. circumnavigating a roundabout will take most of the available lock both ways which is going to turn into significant effort almost immediately and at that speed you are going to need lock to lock rapid stylee. First up you will be feeling the reduced effort supplied by the powersteering system due to velocity that is designed to provide additional force feel to prevent over steering at speed, this will be rapidly added to by having no power steering pressure.

Anyways high jacking aside i'd be fitting an oil pressure gauge if i was the OP