The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gold Rush- custom build bonnet

Rob_Mitchell

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the top of the bonnet all finished and the front of the bonnet around the headlights all done, looks wicked. We flipped the bonnet over and smoothed in the underside around the front light part, looks really neat. Finished todays efforts by bonding in the perspex cover i made with rivets, so the bond will cure off over night ready to be smoothed in tomorrow for the stock look.

Decided im not going to mesh the vent now! infact im going to remove the mesh out the side pods on the front doluck bumper now too.

As this is a demo we have already started realising little bits which wont need doing when we make the next bonnet, plus we also want to do some other little touches on the next bonnet. Like i said, each bonnet made is custom and different from the last. I like that idea.

attachment.php?attachmentid=161849&stc=1&d=1355333199

attachment.php?attachmentid=161850&stc=1&d=1355333199

attachment.php?attachmentid=161848&stc=1&d=1355333199

2012-12-12 16.15.42.jpg

2012-12-12 15.53.45.jpg

2012-12-12 16.02.56.jpg

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

Got a little bit done today. Couldnt flush the front vent cover in as the bonding is still a bit soft. I did panel off the side parts to cover up the rivets and look more tidy, i used Kevler carbon sheeting which im going to colour code, ill wait for the bonding to cure then im going to wipe a seal around the carbon panels. My main objective is to make this bonnet look as stock as possible.

Tomorrow ill flush the vent in and i might even get it in high build primer. exciting times!

attachment.php?attachmentid=161877&stc=1&d=1355402302

attachment.php?attachmentid=161878&stc=1&d=1355402302

attachment.php?attachmentid=161879&stc=1&d=1355402302

attachment.php?attachmentid=161880&stc=1&d=1355402302

2012-12-13 09.42.30.jpg

2012-12-13 09.46.13.jpg

2012-12-13 12.34.47.jpg

2012-12-13 12.35.07.jpg

Cheers for all the positive comments. With regards to cost for these bonnets, its still in the pipeline but im going to aim for £750.00 primed ready for paint. Each bonnet is custom made.

I have started filler work now, so ill post some pics later today.

Thats a GREAT price !

Mine was not much of that and there is alot more cosmetic work on these

Just when i thought i had finished my body work i now need this bonnet and Do-Luck wings on now lol

can you do wet carbon or dry carbon as i have a lot under the bonnet and i think the carbon kevlar draws alot of attention?

Not sure i understand what you mean? you wont see the carbon kevler as im painting it orange.

Thats a GREAT price !

Mine was not much of that and there is alot more cosmetic work on these

Just when i thought i had finished my body work i now need this bonnet and Do-Luck wings on now lol

Still not a set in stone figure mate but im trying my best to do them for around that price. Its just the materials which are boosting the price up, more to come when mine is finished then ill sit down and work out a cost.

You know you need one mate! im making 'build number stickers' to clear coat over... so get your #2 bonnet

Will these be sold on a 'give me your current J-Spec in return for a DAW-Luck' basis? :)

Yeah im on the hunt for stock bonnets now. Going to try and have 2 in stock for exchange. I think each bonnet will take 1-2weeks to build and if painting is required then 3 weeks. Delivery is the only main problem i have, as i dont like shipping fragile items

That seems pretty fair!

I assume that, by the work that goes into the bonnets, pin dents on the traded items wouldn't be an issue?

I wont accept a bonnet if its seriously damaged but tiny dents aint a problem. More info on this later on, i have done a thread in my traders section. This build thread is to show all the members what goes into making one.

I'd definitely want to keep my stock bonnet also if I was to get one of these Rob...possibility!?

Possible yes! if you want to find a spare bonnet and send me it. Like i said im very worried about delivery but i guess all i can do is box up and wrap bonnet in lots and lots of bubble wrap.

Obviously if anyone is interested in a bonnet, i can turn there bonnet into this if they want to drop the car off at our workshop and leave it with me for 2 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome work mate and its looking great! :)

Thanks Marco. :)