The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'll be shot for this (mkv on the way)

Suprab1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive heard a few things from a man in the know at bmw that toyota are bulding a large gt car based on the 6 series chassis . could be it and a great base if i do say so

Yea I heard that but also heard they were branding the one based off the 6 series as a lexus... So not sure what's happening there!

I ain't brought myself the magazine but is it this image?

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?617-MkV-Supra-finally-on-the-way

That pic I am not so sure about. It looses the Supra DNA. This pic however would be a fitting tribute to this great car:

Sup 2.jpg

Sup 1.jpg

Im sure this car would be enormously beneficial for residuals of Mk4 Supras as well. Especially if this car is Toyotas showcase of the most advance powerful sports car it makes, which there is no reason it should not be!

Edited by Nikue (see edit history)

With the amount of pictures that have come out of concepts over the years - I wouldn't waste time speculating until Toyota actually sends something out which to be honest, I think they'll keep it completely hush hush until a massive auto show and bomb out on it.

It will be massive hype.

At least we have had numerous Toyota people come out saying the Supra is coming back and that the name has been re-registered.

I wonder who it'll be competing with - GTR? GT2?

Toyota wanted to apparently bring out an AWD Turbo platform soon too if the FT86 went well (which to me sounds like a Celica GT-Four) - so this is all good news. :D

Guys, it's already confirmed ages ago. A guy I know, who knows a guys, who's brother's mate bought a car from a Toyota dealership, spoke to a sales guy who said the manager told him a guy at another dealership told him, the Supra MKV is definitely out next year. This is 100% true, haven't we all learnt this from previous posts?

Guys, it's already confirmed ages ago. A guy I know, who knows a guys, who's brother's mate bought a car from a Toyota dealership, spoke to a sales guy who said the manager told him a guy at another dealership told him, the Supra MKV is definitely out next year. This is 100% true, haven't we all learnt this from previous posts?

It's definitely going to be the new GT 86.

Was he the guy who knew the guy that dressed as a bear whilst wearing a top hat? Thought so.

Dont be such a moaning Michael ha ha ;)

"I think current hybrid technology is not good for road sports cars,” FR-S chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said during an interview with Top Gear.

The Scion FR-S has reminded the buying public that Toyota can make spectacular sports cars. With the limited power and small footprint of the FR-S, there is a tremendous opening in the automaker’s product line for a larger and more powerful sports car. The FR-S features various references to the classic AE-86, this hole could be filled by a car with an even more important model name from Toyota’s past: the Supra.

Tada does mention his “next sports car.” When describing the next car he says ”I want to make a big… ‘wow.’ I want to give the world a shock.”

When asked directly about a new Supra, Tada says “Of course, anything is possible.” Yoshinori Sasaki, another engineer associated with the FR-S said, “It’ll be a different avenue of sports car from the GT 86.” He is adamant that this new Supra will use a pure gasoline drivetrain.

Sasaki also stresses their support of the Supra’s traditional front-engine rear-drive layout, ”rear-engined, rear-driven cars – and even mid-ship designs – are OK. But if you want to make an enjoyable sports car, it should be front-engined, rear-drive.”

The UR generation of engines with some form of forced induction are a likely candidate IMHO

If I was him, when it was finally unveiled I would shout "TADA!"

But that's just me :)

I would love to see a MKV supra, only problem with it will be the price. The GT-R when it was announced was to come in the ballpark of 60k, within 3 weeks of release the price "magically" soared 20-30k more than originally set for. Sports cars need to come down in price as a whole, companies are building these rediculously expensive cars that only the elite can enjoy. 60k to me is reasonable price for a high power tuner car, 90k is a bit much for a tuner car. The whole market behind Japanese sports cars to me is tuning, not overly flamboyant prices for a car that is "done". Just my 2 pence :p

Edited by k2supra (see edit history)

The car, whatever it is, will be a few years away at best - and so it should be better than a GT-R, if that's where it's aimed at. Toyota will have access to technology that's 5 years newer (or more) than what Nissan had when they started the GT-R program.

Let's face it. Nobody on a lowly car forum knows anything definitive. We have rumours and guesses. With enough of both, one will be correct.