The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mk2 Focus - Timing Belt

Matt H

100k or 10 years whichever occurs first.

EDIT: Never had one snap inside that interval in 10 years in the trade, 3 of them at Ford.

Thanks Ben.

I think I'll be cautious closer to the time (Say do it at 90k), but after doing a bit more reading I'm happy that the belt will last much longer than what I considered to be normal.

Manufacturers recommend cambelt and service intervals based on standard criteria

on how the 'average' vehicle is used.

They don't take into account cars that are used for frequent short journeys or cars that spend all their time on a motorway. I would suggest you look at the way you use your car and make your decision accordingly with common sense.

Service intervals are recommendation and not set in stone. For instance - if. you contacted Ford and told them the car did a lot of stop start driving, they would. probably advise you to service things sooner.

Manufacturers recommend cambelt and service intervals based on standard criteria

They don't take into account cars that are used for frequent short journeys or cars that spend all their time on a motorway. I would suggest you look at the way you use your car and make your decision accordingly with common sense.

Service intervals are recommendation and not set in stone. For instance - if. you contacted Ford and told them the car did a lot of stop start driving, they would. probably advise you to service things sooner.

In the same token, if a belt snapped within the recommended period, they'd have no option but to fit an engine for you. Because they fitted the part originally, and they said it didn't need doing until 100k or 10years under "normal" conditions. Define normal? Prove otherwise.

I understand what you're saying, but I would have thought an element of risk is built into the 100k and the belt would, on average, last longer than that.