The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Catalytic Converter! Yes or No

bambisdad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering your opinions it still looks like a grey area. I am looking for a definitive answer to the question and I don't think there is one. I still don't accept that given the wording in section 7.1 of the MOT Inspection Manual, that my pre-95 NA/T doesn't need to have a cat because it does not qualify for a full cat emissions test.:blink:

Considering your opinions it still looks like a grey area. I am looking for a definitive answer to the question and I don't think there is one. I still don't accept that given the wording in section 7.1 of the MOT Inspection Manual, that my pre-95 NA/T doesn't need to have a cat because it does not qualify for a full cat emissions test.:blink:

Just had to teach the MOT tester how to do his job this morning regarding the same point, after wrongly doing a cat emissions test on my car yesterday and failing it. :rtfm:

The rule is that if the car was registered/used before 1st August 1995 and the exact car model isn't listed on their database then it should have a non CAT test. This flow chart from the MOT manual explains it very clearly.

http://imageshack.us/a/img404/7559/picture1sf.jpg

I think reality is regarded as an illusion by some? :think:

:yeahthat:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

All I was told that if it originally had a CAT installed from new, it should be on for the test, and I have to go along with that now. :shrug:
No you don't. The manual does not say that. As someone quoted above, it says that if the car requires a full cat test, and a cat was originally fitted, then the tester must check for the presence of a cat.

In other words, if your car doesn't need a full cat test, it doesn't need a cat.

Call VOSA, and ask them to confirm what the manual says.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm

7.1 Exhaust System

Method of Inspection

3) On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter.

Reason for Rejection

3) A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

As I've found out this week, it doesn't matter what the manual says in black and white, if the MOT tester thinks he knows what the rules are you might as well :banghead:

That's a problem VOSA have with many 'Testing Monkey's', they have to keep inspecting the stations to try and keep them applying the written regulations and not the one's they've dreamed for themselves. :shrug:

Just show them the page they were not bright enough to find in their own workbook and all will be fine.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Every single time this thread comes up, the same questions get asked, the same answers come up, yet somebody still disputes it.

I'm an MOT tester. If you car isn't listed, it's a pre cat test. Simple. It really isn't that difficult to get your head round. The new rules say that IF the vehicle is subject to a full cat test - I.e. BET test + full cat test if required, then it needs to have a cat fitted. If it's imported, VOSA hold no vehicle specific data for imported engines, regardless of if the they make the same engine in the UK, because as far as VOSA are concerned, they're tuned differently for different emissions zones.

Example 1. I tested a Civic that had been brought back to the UK when the people that owned it moved home. By UK standards, the emissions were through the roof, but it was imported, we didn't have the correct emissions related data, so it had to pass.

Example 2. My sister has an Impreza NON STI WRX Type R RA V-Limited. VOSA list a WRX, WRX STI, WRX STI Type R, WRX STI Type RA, but not the V- Limited. Therefore, the fact that it's not listed = Pre cat test.

Can someone put the definitive rules in a sticky post? :rolleyes:

Every single time this thread comes up, the same questions get asked, the same answers come up, yet somebody still disputes it.

I'm an MOT tester. If you car isn't listed, it's a pre cat test. Simple. It really isn't that difficult to get your head round. The new rules say that IF the vehicle is subject to a full cat test - I.e. BET test + full cat test if required, then it needs to have a cat fitted. If it's imported, VOSA hold no vehicle specific data for imported engines, regardless of if the they make the same engine in the UK, because as far as VOSA are concerned, they're tuned differently for different emissions zones.

Example 1. I tested a Civic that had been brought back to the UK when the people that owned it moved home. By UK standards, the emissions were through the roof, but it was imported, we didn't have the correct emissions related data, so it had to pass.

Example 2. My sister has an Impreza NON STI WRX Type R RA V-Limited. VOSA list a WRX, WRX STI, WRX STI Type R, WRX STI Type RA, but not the V- Limited. Therefore, the fact that it's not listed = Pre cat test.

Can someone put the definitive rules in a sticky post? :rolleyes:

It already is, but it happens to be in a post that's more than a sentence long which appears to be a challenge beyond the focus of some.

Nah my dad's into rusty old Bentley's and MGBGT's. And couldn't figure out how to switch a computer on, let alone us a forum.

I can't be arsed to find a flow chart, my Supra flies through every single year, I don't really care about anyone elses MOT tester being a mong. :D

So what you're getting at, that if it's a decatted J-Spec it should be a non-CAT test, but if it's a decatted UK-Spec, it will be tested, and presumably fail?

I may try the other MOT place that Budz mentioned and see from there. Then again, having the CAT in, doesn't really make much of a difference and I know it's 'legal' and I have peace of mind.

So what you're getting at, that if it's a decatted J-Spec it should be a non-CAT test, but if it's a decatted UK-Spec, it will be tested, and presumably fail?

I may try the other MOT place that Budz mentioned and see from there. Then again, having the CAT in, doesn't really make much of a difference and I know it's 'legal' and I have peace of mind.

Pretty much.

You're only is sussex. Gimme a shout at MOT time. I can test it. ;)

The N/A 2JZA80-GE engine code is grey import only, consequently, is not on the list and pre 95 the full cat test is not required.

The T.T. 2JZA80-GTE engine code is the same in a J spec as a U.K. spec, consequently, is on the list and whatever date of manufacture is subject to a full cat test.