car difficult to start after short trips, or when warm

Lude

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently vapour lock went out with carburettors after I mentioned it to someone, dunno if that's true though.

Yes and no. If you Google it you will find a load of articles that say its not a problem with fuel injected engines, but it is still something that has to be designed out. IIRC its something to do with the volume of the fuel rail, and its more of a concern nowadays with returnless fuel systems because there is no way to purge the fuel vapour.

Given the other posts, the fact that the car seems to be stock, isn't overheating and has a fuel rail with a return line, I agree that its unlikely to be the cause of this issue, though. :)

It's the fuel pump ecu the 9v phase has packed up.

They start cold on 12v hot starts it uses the 9v part, mine had exactly the same problem, new ecu off Keron problem solved.

is that the fuel pump ECU? or the main actual ECU?

your symptoms same as mine yea. anything i can test to verify or bypass to be sure? or shall i just go for it...

well i say the battery is on its way, the voltage is fine on it. 14v when running, and high 11 when ignition is on (my turbo timer measures it)

it just turns over slow IF the car has been left standing for a few days. other than that it turns over fine.

plus if ive done a long drive the battery is full of beans and has no problems turning the engine over, its just the car wont catch.

(it could due with replacing this winter though)

Edited by Lude (see edit history)

If your too tight to buy a new battery, put your car into a bad start scenario then clip on DECENT jump-leads or a GOOD battery pack to start it.

Only then can you cross it off the list.

I am always suspicious of coincidental iffyness.

yea i got you mate, its not im too tight, i literally spend £100s on the car, just dont want to waste it thats all :)

i will try the new battery to see if that over rides it.

ive also just had a PM, if i try the diagnostics port, connect Fp to B+ that'll give the pump 12v, if it starts then, that points to the fuel pump ECU..

Update:

It's the fuel pump ecu the 9v phase has packed up.

They start cold on 12v hot starts it uses the 9v part, mine had exactly the same problem, new ecu off Keron problem solved.

its NOT this.

tried doing this made no difference.

the battery is fine and full of life, so not that either, starter motor is spinning fine and dandy.

back to the drawing board.

it does start, just takes a few gos to catch.....

PS i am using the throttle also to assist

Edited by Lude (see edit history)

Have you checked the Coilpacks ??

how would i check them?

ive experienced that on an old car (200sx) where when warm one of them used to fail which would create a miss fire,

On the Supra though, after ive driven the car for half a mile the car isnt warm, yet still does it...

i havent got a AFR gauge un-fortunatly no, and no i have not pulled a spark plug out to check if its wet or dry.

i was going to order a Water Temp sensor from toyota tomorrow,

on the weekend i will try that and also check the spark plugs, then report back.....

ive posted on driftworks few people say from the video it seems to be flooding.....

Have you done a compression test. Water getting into the chamber could lead to this....

no havent, car doesnt leak/use no water at all though, and i think that would be bit of a worst scenario even if it was that?

will look at the plugs and get new water temp sensor.....