The mkiv Supra Owners Club

thinking about breaking .......

scoooby slayer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And people often want too much for what they have. I've just bought a carpet for my Audi for £60, another seller wanted £150 for the same thing!

I see your point, and I agree in part - but a HKS stroker motor isn't quite a carpet for an Audi ;) Extreme lowballing on a quality item, priced fairly, is in poor taste.

i think ive priced quite fair, under probably on the engine concidering a stroker kit is what about £8000, then turbo kit is £5000 then theres cams, headwork, bearings etc and building it. the inlet is a genuine jun plenum aswell it cost nick a fortune.

my gtr is on the ramp til later this week then she will be off and done, got an astra work van that needs some extensive maintenance work then the supra will hit the ramp.

thanks for all the comments peeps, seems a very mixed bag of opinions, ive broke a cossie and a gtr for parts so i know the ups and downs of it, but this car is far closer to my heart than they were which is whats making it a hard decision.

as for power, i had it on 2 bar yesterday and its got 295/30/19 r888s on the back, squating hard with suspension on soft and it was still spinning passing 80 mph in 3rd gear on sunny warm dry tarmac ! i think thats whats making the diff grumble just so much

power gripping as much as it can.

ive just had a look and the jun plenums are $3800 new !

Edited by scoooby slayer (see edit history)

Have you tryed changing the fluids out for a higher grade oil?

i havnt touched it yet, its not knackered it still works just at full torque i can hear a noise, i guess it doent like 650 lbft up it lol if i shut the boost down to 1.7 bar the noise is nearly gone it maybe totally gone without the rear passengers, but it has to be right or not at all for me.

i had a diff lock up at pod after my 3rd run last year, i did figure of 8s at 5 mph for about 2 minutes and it clonked free and seemed ok, that was the begining of whatevers happening in there.

i need to be sure as i will never find another like it, gearbox, clutch, diff, turbo, brakes are all brand new and done no more than 3000 miles ! gearbox was brand new from toyota not a recon.

give me your manifold!!!!

i have found the recipt for the manifold, jun plenum £2950 ! ridiculous springs to mind lol

im sure the car would sell without to much problem as a whole for £27k, ive already had an offer of a 2 car swap and keeping some parts to sell.

ive been reading around and these carbonetics diffs are apparantly very dependant on good oil and it must be changed every 2k miles due to material that contaminates the oil.

so ive checked through the paperwork and mileage as i have all mots and invoice dates, the diff was fitted new in 2007 and straight 90 gear oil was put in at £3.99 a litre ! i kid you not.

the car has done 5000 miles since then and i dare bet the oil was never changed, ive never changed it either in the 2k miles ive done in it.

it doesnt suprise me one bit it having cheap c@!p oil in it, the same garage fitted £5000 worth of greedy brakes the best they sell and only bled up the outer bleed nipples ! it wasnt braking at all on the inside pistons ! luckily i did bleed them and no damage was done.

so im gonna clean the diff out and change the diff oil to 80w 140 redline shock proof as it has the molecules in it for the clutch plates, pull the box off and check the clutch make sure everything is ok and try it again.

im trying to find the love as i will never find another supra like this all new parts and all hks, jun, greedy and carbonetics.

That car is stunning, it would be a huge shame to break it. The problem with having SUCH a high spec car, the parts even second hand are crazy expensive, dont get me wrong, they are totally worth it, but as has been said, it seems folks have less disposable income at the mo. I would fix it and go out to kick some ferrari arse.

Crazy! 5k brakes, then bottom doller fluid in a expensive diff some poeple are just wrong in the head, hope it works out for ya fella

utter madness, also fitted a brand new t51r spl bb at over £2k and didnt even bother running the water pipes !

That car is stunning, it would be a huge shame to break it. The problem with having SUCH a high spec car, the parts even second hand are crazy expensive, dont get me wrong, they are totally worth it, but as has been said, it seems folks have less disposable income at the mo. I would fix it and go out to kick some ferrari arse.

the high end parts certainly are ridiculous money, even worse when hi end parts get fitted by monkeys !

well i got really stuck into it today.

the clutch was good but i had a bit of judder so i got the flywheel skimmed and it feels perfect now half clutching on the ramp.

i dropped the diff oil out and it was as black as old engine oil and sludgy !

so i flushed it out and put new oil in.

just need to try it out and see what the diff sounds like now, it was surrounded by sludge so it cant of been helping it.

i found the small oil leak thats been plaqueing me aswell, the turbo oil return pipe was only semi tight on the union.

ive enjoyed spending the day working on it so its a good sign im getting some love back.

Your exhaust system looks super special, a one of a kind car by the looks of it that's for sure.

I for one sure hope that you don't end up breaking it.

Fingers crossed your efforts pay dividens in the end :D

the exhaust is a 5" all the way, 3 silencers custom made 1 off, screamer pipe returns into pipework, it reportadle cost the previous owner £5000 !

without my ramp i would struggle so i cant complain.

all the rims are off now, all brakes removed, i had a very slight vibration under braking only under heavy braking from 100mph+.

when i brought the car it was braking on the inside pistons only ! outside of caliper hadnt been bled up.

so i bled it up an used it, unbeknown to me the outer pads had actually never been used so once bled up outer pads needed bedding in.

ive just used it hard pretty much straight of and the outer pad has overheated causing what is seen on the disc, its a bit of melted brake pad fused to the disc !

ive checked disc runout and theres not even 1 thou of variation except where the brake pad mark is, ive cleaned the other side with sandpaper and its good as new.

its no problem and has cleaned up fine but just yet another issue that has come from incorrect installation of parts, £5000 worth of brakes and not bled up properly, and ns front caliper only had 1 bolt holding it on, the other bolt was in but to long and bottomed out 5mm above the hub face ! if i wasnt a mechanic this car would of been long dead !

really shocked about the brakes. i dont know why some people spend so much money on quality parts then skimp hen it comes to putting it all togther, even with such a simple thing such as bleeding brakes, especially when the kits cost £5000! good to see your getting it sorted bud

Glad your getting it sorted bud.

Who fitted all of this stuff?

from the paperwork full grex kit bought april 2007, may 2007 jap imports devon fit customer supplied brakes then on same invoice refit old front brakes.

the front bells are custom for some reason must of been a hub or wheel issue on first install.

then jdm garage devon april 2009 bleed brakes.

when i bought the car april 2011 it had 43000 miles on the clock, in 2007 april when it had mot and £5000 worth of brakes bought it had 39000 miles on the clock and the fronts were fitted later on !

theyve done no mileage luckily so i have saved them.

i remember when i picked it up paul at jdm garage said "the brakes are a bit spongy, may need another bleed"

a bit spongy, one side of the caliper wasnt bled at all, and it had never been bled from day 1 as the inner pad has a little wear, outer pads have no wear, so it was being driven on the inner pistons only as the outer wasnt bled up.

and its prooved it as when i bled it up properly when i got it ive used it hard and ended up melting the outer pad as it was brand new still !

it is laughable these people do or have ever called themselves tuners, its not even tuning ffs just basic car mechanics !

thats the only reason the previous owner sold it im sure, it cost an absolute foryune to build and did 4k miles max then he sold it, its understandable as if he wasnt a mechanic himself

he must of just got sick of taking it to garages, spending ££££ and the car still not being right.

the original engine build in 2006 was £50000 at tdi the first 3.4 hks stroker in europe apparantly at the time. i dont have an invoice as it was billed through business but tdi confirmed and i have all photos of the build and a banzai magazine

somewhere with the car in it at time of first engine build.

carbonetics triple and new toyota gearbox in 2007 brand new £8400 again no invoice as billed through company

wheels £800 each x 6 £4800

but then i do have invoices for

brakes

diff

bodykit

body modifications arch widening etc

engine refresh and change twins to second hand t51 big single in 2009 at tdi

new turbo t51r spl late 2009 !

head rebuilt oil cooler amonst other things 2010

just the invoices i have total £32437 ! and thats only since 2007 where he did 4000 miles in it upto selling it to me !

so i make that about £100000 pounds then he had to purchase the car itself, logbook states date of first registration october 2010 so a very late shell. declared manufacturered 1999, sva/iva cert issued 12/10/2000.

i am the 3rd owner as theres the guy i bought it of and the guy who imported it.

i was told when i bought it im not paying much more than the previous owner originally paid for the car, previous owner bought the car april 2001.

so its safe to assume it had cost him at least £120000 without anything else that was done and has now gone.

i guess if it had of been put together properly i wouldnt of bought it as he wouldnt of sold it and made such a herific loss.

gotta feel sorry for the guy, he got shafted big time !

really shocked about the brakes. i dont know why some people spend so much money on quality parts then skimp hen it comes to putting it all togther, even with such a simple thing such as bleeding brakes, especially when the kits cost £5000! good to see your getting it sorted bud

utter madness, not the previous owners fault but the fault of the tuners he entrusted his car to.

diff is now perfect with oil change, clutch is now perfect after flywheel had a light skim, and brakes are 60% better than they were, still a little judder through the steering wheel but not enough to warrant skimming discs and new pads, im gonna see what there like after a few miles now, braking performance is better than ever.

ive found my oil leak aswell, its a tiny leak like 1 drip every 5 minutes coming from the flange where the oil return pipe goes, il get that sorted next time its on the ramp, i just wana drive it now for a bit, well happy i was out nailing it earlier and lovin it :)