The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Urgent help needed! Can't remove Crankshaft pulley :-(

Andrew K

When i did mine on the ute my mate brought a tool from his work. It was like a slide hammer with a flexible head where the socket fits on. You then put it onto the bolt and whack it from the top with a lump hammer. 2 hits and it cracked off! Really good bit of kit, will try to find a pic....

Edit... Found it

here it is!

Edited by creative (see edit history)

That's a tasty tool, might be good for suspension components and stuff as well - not a bad price either... tempted :D

Keywords for future searching:

Sealey impact bar hammer crank pulley bolt

:)

Thats what i thought. I was dubious at first as i know these bolts are a biatch to get off and i was mighty impressed at how easy it made it.

My only concern with that tool is the shock your putting through the crank and potentially

damaging the shells.

And slamming a breaker bar into the ground as you turn the engine over is better?

I was just suprised how quick it was...with minimal fuss. We didnt even lock the pully off.

And slamming a breaker bar into the ground as you turn the engine over is better?

I was just suprised how quick it was...with minimal fuss. We didnt even lock the pully off.

I dont agree with doing it that way either, the starter motor is for starting the

engine and not for undoing bolts that are torqued up to 330 N-m.

When i changed mine we did it the proper way and the crank pulley bolt came out

quite easily, any other way is a bodge and risks damaging other parts and if a garage

told me thats how they would do it i'd be going elsewhere.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Can you not heat up the area around the bolt? I dont know nothing about these but I once spent days trying to get a nut undone on a track rod end then discovered a fair bit of heat expanded the nut and it came off easy. Would the same princible work heating what ever acts as the nut?

If you use the correct tools you do not need to use heat

I thought using the correct tools would be the first thing to try lol.

Well in that case use the proper tool and let us know how you get on. If this fails try shouting at it whilst using hands to form rude gestures then see how you feel.

I thought using the correct tools would be the first thing to try lol.

Well in that case use the proper tool and let us know how you get on. If this fails try shouting at it whilst using hands to form rude gestures then see how you feel.

Going by a few replies in this thread it would appear not and if you read my posts you'll

see i've already successfully replaced my crank pulley using the correct tools and it was

very easy and done in minutes, not hours or days ;)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Some years ago when I first got into Mkivs I had a real struggle with this bolt. Tried everything, spent hours using impact drivers intended for HGVs, using the starter motor, the lot, it simply wouldnt budge. In the end I spent half an hour making a tool and within ten minutes of using it the bolt was out.

Just a couple of bits of old angle iron and a few bolts is all you need and seriously long breaker bar once it is clamped in place.