The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garrett GTX Series or precision Turbo

Jellybean

hey mate you going single soon i am another yr away but really like the gtx35r turbo not sure will it be enough to put us in the 200mph club lol

Just doing a bit of research, I am not concerned with speed just drivability on the road. Something like the 2012 Porsche Turbo setup with Variable Vane technology (60mph-90mph or something in 2 secs) would be nice ,

Anything up to 130-140mph is plenty for top speed, what you need is your powerband to be optimised for the speeds you use in everyday life 20mph - 80 mph

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.billetturbochargers.com/About_Billet.ews

Every time a thread about turbos comes up I post this link. This chap had all the tech that is considered current now about 10 years ago. God only knows what he's managed to achieve in that time. I have one but it was from 8 years ago so it's probably old hat tech by now ;). I know everything is made in house these days where as he used to use exhaust housings from other manufactures back in the day (I never worked out what mine was with its 6 bolt radial flange - so I cheated and used a 3 bolt of the same PCD I found from somewhere :D).

Lyndon.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Precision%20vs%20Garrett%20vs%20Borg%20Warner.html

If you want a fast road setup I'd personally go with a 61-62mm double ball bearing turbo, very responsive and capable of 550hp at moderate boost levels. I use to run a Garrett GT35R A/R 0.82 - dyno graph in my garage - positive boost at just over 2K rpm, so once you are moving power delivery is almost instantaneous. If anything they can be almost too responsive, a good suspension/tyre setup is vital so you can get the power down in the first 3 gears.

TBH I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the top branded turbos.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

HKS manifolds are nice but my manifold out performed the HKS in back to back testing. 800 rpm earlier spool up and nothing else was changed.

And my HKS manifold along with other HKS manifolds we've used on track cars crack. Never had one of mine crack as yet.

I still wouldnt buy one.

Very happy with my HKS manifold, they also look a work of art.

If u want a fast street car go for the GTX30R.....bonkers spooling defo fastest spooling turbo out there, good for 550bhp+

At the moment I've got a HKS GT30R with an 1.06 a/r housing with cast T4 manifold with internal wastegate, HKS 264 in/ex Race Cams and I hit boost under 2000rpm, it's insane my supra is by far the fastest spooler I've seen!

I never wanted a car that does 200mph just a super quick street car through the first 3 gears ;-)

Edited by wallis (see edit history)

If u want a fast street car go for the GTX30R.....bonkers spooling defo fastest spooling turbo out there, good for 550bhp+

At the moment I've got a HKS GT30R with an 1.06 a/r housing with cast T4 manifold with internal wastegate, HKS 264 in/ex Race Cams and I hit full boost well under 2000rpm, it's insane my supra is by far the fastest spooler I've seen!

I never wanted a car that does 200mph just a super quick street car through the first 3 gears ;-)

Thats the Setup I want, does it pin you back through the gears?

Thats the Setup I want, does it pin you back through the gears?

In the dry it puts you into

Hyper space....lol

Seriously it puts your stomach through your arse, but as I think Nic has mentioned, tyres, traction and suspension set up

Is very important also!

Wet and greasy roads are a complete no no, to much of a handful to say the least, like a greyhound on an ice rink :-)

When u look at the figures for fast spooling street cars the torque is usually higher than the bhp and is a good indication it's going to pull like a train!

Looks a beast

We all want instant spool,

Don't your compressor side suffer of surge or creating heat ?

i guess a GTX35 would have similar specs in a .90 or like A/R .

The GTX35R will also be very quick at spooling, just not as Quick as the Slightly Smaller GTX30R.

There was issues with power surge to start off with for me with the original HKS .60 a/r fitted, but now it's really good with the current set up, EGTs are always monitored and there's never a problem, maybe runs slightly hotter than most set ups but that's a result of insanly fast spoiling and the cast manifold ;-)

If you want a fast road setup I'd personally go with a 61-62mm double ball bearing turbo, very responsive and capable of 550hp at moderate boost levels. I use to run a Garrett GT35R A/R 0.82 - dyno graph in my garage - positive boost at just over 2K rpm, so once you are moving power delivery is almost instantaneous. If anything they can be almost too responsive, a good suspension/tyre setup is vital so you can get the power down in the first 3 gears.

I pretty much agree with you here Nic, the GT35 I'm running is *very* responsive.

To the OP - seen my dyno graph in the ECU thread?

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?129455-Supra-ECU-Register/page8

Give Turbo Dynamics a call to talk to them about the GTX35 - 01202 487497 - helpful blokes.

The GTX35R will also be very quick at spooling, just not as Quick as the Slightly Smaller GTX30R.

There was issues with power surge to start off with for me with the original HKS .60 a/r fitted, but now it's really good with the current set up, EGTs are always monitored and there's never a problem, maybe runs slightly hotter than most set ups but that's a result of insanly fast spoiling and the cast manifold ;-)

You have a dyno graph up anywhere chap to compare? Interested to see GT30 / GT35 comparison :)

Doh!

So for comparison (ish, I can't get clarify on the graphs.. and different dynos so it's ballpark). I'd plot them both or make them more granular if I had the time... as admittedly the pre 3500rpm is the interesting part. I'd say I make positive boost from 1800-2000rpm mark. But looking at them unfortunately as my graph doesn't really start from 1800rpm I admit the info the OP wants isn't available. I'd say mine's fast to spool with a small AR housing on it. I'm afraid I haven't been in a T67 setup or a BPU, so I can't compare.

****** GT30 ****** GT35 HP LB ****

3000rpm 120bhp 200lb 112bhp 200lb

3500rpm 180bhp 260lb 210bhp 308lb

4000rpm 310bhp 405lb 385bhp 510lb

4500rpm 410bhp 460lb 485bhp 560lb (both reach peak torque 4600-4700rpm approx)

5000rpm 480bhp 505lb 530bhp 560lb

5500rpm 500bhp 475lb 555bhp 540lb

I've added some numbers off my SRR dyno graph to give you a T67 on a cast manifold for comparison. This is with a 0.81 exhaust housing and stock J spec cams.

************ GT30 ********* GT35 ******T67DBB****

3000rpm....120bhp 200lb....112bhp 200lb....135bhp 235lb

3500rpm....180bhp 260lb....210bhp 308lb....185bhp 280lb

4000rpm....310bhp 405lb....385bhp 510lb....300bhp 400lb

4500rpm....410bhp 460lb....485bhp 560lb....500bhp 480lb (all reach peak torque 4600-4700rpm approx)

5000rpm....480bhp 505lb....530bhp 560lb....560bhp 585lb

5500rpm....500bhp 475lb....555bhp 540lb....595bhp 560lb

6000rpm....xxxbhp xxxlb....575bhp 504lb....608bhp 530lb

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

At the moment I've got a HKS GT30R with an 1.06 a/r housing with cast T4 manifold with internal wastegate, HKS 264 in/ex Race Cams and I hit full boost well under 2000rpm, it's insane my supra is by far the fastest spooler I've seen!

The GT30R must spin up VERY quickly, getting the power down must be fun :)

Not sure I'd personally go any smaller than a GT35R on a 2JZ-GTE, for me it gives the ideal combination of fast response and mid/top end power.

The GT30R must spin up VERY quickly, getting the power down must be fun :)

Not sure I'd personally go any smaller than a GT35R on a 2JZ-GTE, for me it gives the ideal combination of fast response and mid/top end power.

In the dry it's great with traction, anything else it's impossible almost!

If I remember on the garret website fir the new GTX range there's a full comparison of the range, which showed dynos from the same set up with the different turbos on to show the comparisons compared to the old gt range.

I've done quite a few setups over the years..

Difference between the tubular boost logic manifold I had and the cast manifold I ended up using was dramatic. Throttle response and spool time was far superior, and car still makes 617 on cast..

Had GT35R - was lacking on both manifolds over 5k but had pretty fast spool

Had GT3088R - almost as fast spooling as the 35R and fast top end, but like everyone's the hot blades melted even with mild egts

Ran .68, .82 and .96 exhaust housings and every turbo has run best on the .82... Spooling on .82 was close to the .61 and had almost the same legs top end as the .96

.68 was asthmatic top end

.96 was so laggy it was unusable.

Now run T67DBB .82 on cast, it's probably too powerful top end, but is quite quick of the mark with Ryan's map on the syvecs.

If I were you I'd go 61 or 35 on .81, cast..

My 2p

Good luck!

Edited by Mike B
I pads suck! (see edit history)

I had the Garrett GT3540 (61mm turbo) in my Supra years ago when it was pretty stock. It was an awesome street turbo and around that size is what I would recommend for anyone wanting a quick street Supra.

It made 360rwkw and 20psi boost by 3400rpm (120kmh in 5th). Here is my dyno sheet,

bestdynogt3540.jpg

Edited by V8KILR (see edit history)

I'm sure that must be a typo as only a diesel with a small turbo would be near full boost at 2000rpm ;) And on a 1.06AR housing as well. And an internal wastegate? Plus your own dyno graphs shows full boost at around 4200rpm :)

I'd love to try a GTX3076R, I've been looking a the compressor maps and it just about squeaks into our engine's range. It'll surge if it hits over 1.4bar below about 3000rpm, but I doubt it'd actually be able to do that. Maybe in 6th :)

-Ian

Hey up Ian,

Dispite what u may think mate, I have this set up yes in real life not a typo, GT30R with a 1.06 a/r housing and all the rest!

In first and second gear in the dry with good traction, I'm hitting boost by about 2000 revs.

What does a 3rd gear run dyno graph have to do with my cars response/power in first and second gear?

I've done the work, spent loads of money and time to get this the way i want it, trying various different set ups so the cars a fast street car, so dont give me that bollox mate, get back to your small diesel figures or ram your two pence worth up your arse u patronising bell pipe :-) :-)

I don't even know where to start. Ordinarily I'd like to enter into a techie discussion about this but as you've flown off the handle because someone questions your (wild, implausible and downright impossible) claims, I think trying to talk about the basic laws of physics is a loser from the get go. However as tech mod it's my duty on here to pick off the ludicrous so that new people don't read it and think it's actually achievable. So here I am, wasting my time :)

SO to start, I'd say "you need evidence for those sorts of claims" but you've already posted evidence, i.e. your dyno chart, and that proves your spool is as good as anyone elses, somewhere around 4000rpm.

"What does a 3rd gear run dyno graph have to do with my cars response/power in first and second gear?" Really? You are aware, in your spending of time and money, that the higher the gear and the more load on the engine, the earlier your turbo spins up? So a higher gear should make it spin up at even lower revs, not 2000+rpm later? That's ignoring the boost threshold of the turbo, but we might be entering difficult waters here so I'll leave it at that.

Feel free to ignore me and pretend you get 1.4bar of boost at 2000rpm in first gear, but don't be abusive :) If you have a video or a dyno chart or some sort of datalog that shows you getting 1.4bar on a single turbo at 2000rpm I think the world would like to see it, by the way. We could throw VATN technology in the bin then.