The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra TT starting problems

Guest hairykrishna

Guest hairykrishna
There are plenty of owners around the West Mids area that would help, where abouts are you based ?

I'm in Kings Heath (Birmingham).

This afternoon I'm going to unplug everything I can find, give the the contacts a good clean, and re-connect them.

Can't see there being any difference in igniters Dunc, if anyone has a 1JZ one that would also work, littlenum would have a couple I assume

They certainly look the same with the same plugs going into them.

Guest hairykrishna

Just discovered some water in the boot/spare wheel well and the rear light connectors were all soaking - leaky boot panel letting the rain in. I've given them all a good blast with contact cleaner and will leave it all overnight to dry out. I suppose this could be a short that caused issues? Seems unlikely though.

Assuming that doesn't cure it, it'd be great to try your igniter on mine or my igniter on yours Dnk. I think ruling one thing out at a time is the only way to track down the problem.

Guest hairykrishna

Unfortunately I'm out all day tomorrow until 6pm ish and the same Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'll see how I get on with dry wiring then maybe we can arrange something. Thanks for your help

Unfortunately I'm out all day tomorrow until 6pm ish and the same Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'll see how I get on with dry wiring then maybe we can arrange something. Thanks for your help

No problem mate, let us know how you get on.

Guest hairykrishna

I've finally had a nice day and some time to work on it today. Unfortunately discovered the wetness wasn't confined to the boot and that the front passenger foot well is damp too. Luckily the ECU seems dry but assorted wiring in the there is wet. I've wet vac-ed out everything I can and I'm going to grab a load of silica crystals from work tomorrow to chuck in and hopefully dry out the rest.

This afternoon I've also replaced all of the coil pack connectors as they were old and knackered - one essentially disintegrated in my hands. Probably not related, but the more I can get in good condition, the better.

Guest hairykrishna
Fingures crossed its not coming from the heater matrix.

It lives on my drive and it seems it's not as waterproof (yet) as I thought, due to various kit panels, so I'm 99% sure it's just due to our lovely weather. It's now under a mahoosive tarpaulin.

• 2 months later...
Guest hairykrishna

Thought I'd update this thread just in case people searching have the same problem and find it. After drying it out i changed the coil pack connectors and replaced the igniter and it fired straight up. I suppose I'd killed the igniter jump starting it, just as predicted!