The mkiv Supra Owners Club

competition car insurance policy.

Robzki

Hi all,

Its that horrible time of year that I need to spend all day trying to get insurance. I have phoned 5 so far and have only received 2 quotes this has taken 4 hrs today as they all seem to be busy and need to call me back, so while I'm ringing the next the previous one rings and leaves me a message to ring them back......to get a message service again....

I have tried:

Graham sykes: £566 fully comp with 'most' mods as they didn't seem too interested in waiting for me to list them

LWIB : Eventually got through to someone that is too busy so will ring back tomorrow

Need 2 insure : Anthony ringing back at some point with a quote but a pleasant bloke to chat to.

Performance direct : After 5 tries to ring eventually left a message to ring me back, who knows whether they will.

Competition car insurance : After I rang them and left a message and then they called back while I was on the phone so I rang the direct number Zoe had left on my answer phone eventually got through and got a quote(with one other disconnection) of £459

I was amazed at how difficult it was to get a quote for a 'performance' car. Zoe from CCI was a very funny amenable lady that did give me the quote pretty much straight away and I think she even gave me an extra discount for being exceptionally tall :) I was amazed that they don't charge anymore at all for any modification as its all down to the Hp and the value you tell them. they just send a form through so you can list the mods on which don't change the quote at all.

But I am a little disappointed with the policy exceptions with a quick scan through. The 5 free track days look to be confusing as it looks to only cover track days that they support so apparently none that the club may organise? There is no theft cover unless the car is at the home address between 10pm and 6am? This pretty much means that you are under a curfew so if out for the evening you have to be home by 10pm, also means no trips away?

They cover 2 eu trackdays but if you have to be home by 10pm you'd have to make full use of the autobahn :)

The cover looks great but also doesn't cover third party driving of other vehicles?

My car is bpu with a Sard cat and a restrictor ring also no boost controller, what should my bhp be quoted as, is it Rwhp or Fwhp what would mine be? I did forget to ask her how this was worked out. I said 380hp, if I upped it to 400hp it added £100 to the premium. I will enquire again in the AM but anybody with CCI that wants to give any advice would be appreciated

My self and partner are 36 with 12+yrs ncb and licence for 18+yrs, no accidents etc low risk area, shes the main policyholder and is a teacher and I'm a farm manager so are both low risk

Any advice or others to try? I like the way CCI work with the mods and hp but just looks like it has fairly limited cover

cheers and sorry for the waffle

Rob

The only thing which would worry me is the theft cover.

I would call them to check it. Usually if your car gets stolen away from your house the insurer applies an additoonal excess.

I did a good few quotes and found cci were chdapest also

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
There is no theft cover unless the car is at the home address between 10pm and 6am? This pretty much means that you are under a curfew so if out for the evening you have to be home by 10pm, also means no trips away?

If that's the case it pretty much explains why it's so cheap, absolutely useless as an everyday insurance. Was there any milage limitations ?

If that's the case it pretty much explains why it's so cheap, absolutely useless as an everyday insurance. Was there any milage limitations ?

Yeah, checked since and that exemption doesn't apply on this policy so its all good :)

The 10pm-6am part doesn't apply so I'm happy :) I 'think' they had a 10k limit, Mine was 6k I think. It didn't make a lot of difference if you upped the mileage.

R.

The 10pm-6am part doesn't apply so I'm happy :) I 'think' they had a 10k limit, Mine was 6k I think. It didn't make a lot of difference if you upped the mileage.

R.

Interesting. As per my post in this thread, they wouldn't even go through with a quote for me today stating they only deal with limited use track cars, which concerns me on the type of cover they provide for normal use. I may have to call them again to query this as quite a few of you guys seem to be using them to insure your daily drives?

The reason why the price is cheap is that the product is designed for people who use there cars for track days not as daily drivers.

If they start to insure people for commuting/daily drivers then the loss ratio will go through the roof and all the premiums will go up.

I hope they keep their strict underwriting as it keeps the low risks paying low premiums.

The reason why the price is cheap is that the product is designed for people who use there cars for track days not as daily drivers.

If they start to insure people for commuting/daily drivers then the loss ratio will go through the roof and all the premiums will go up.

I hope they keep their strict underwriting as it keeps the low risks paying low premiums.

And yet going by the CCI threads on various forums quite a few guys are using them for their daily driver insurance, or are under the impression they are. My correspondence with CCI pretty much confirms what you are saying in that they cover high performance limited use/track day cars, not daily driven ones. It begs the question on how many people are fibbing about the usage of their cars to obtain a cheap quote at the expense of compromising cover should the worse ever happen.

BTW Robzki: You were spot on with the 10pm to 6am :)

All academic to me though as it would seem I have too many doors for them to provide a quote.

Ouch! Be cheaper to buy one if you're doing it more than once.

Austec is buying it, fortunatly the 6K comes off the purchase price, good job because we lost 11/2 hours of the race due to mechanical probs and it had a new motor and seq box !!!!!! Would not have been impressed if it was just hired, but at least we know it has the makings it handled well and has potential, entry fee alone is £1800 I think !!!! The entry fee for the Spa 25hr is £5K and if you hire a car to do it the price is £7.5K per driver

P1020086.JPG

P1020093.JPG

P1020094.JPG

P1020095.JPG

P1020096.JPG

Edited by dude (see edit history)

They are on a space frame, driver sits in the middle, theres 2 classes petrol and diesel, Petrols are around 130hp and lap Donnington in 1.25, Diesels are a bit quicker, it'l be quicker than a trackday Elise but the racing is so close and 5 hours per race except Spa which is 25 with 145 cars on the grid.

Just got off with the phone from Richard at CCI, extremely helpful, and covered the NA for £480, and I live in, ahem, Corby!

Great that they (almost) mirror the no claims on my daily too. Their policy seems spot on for my little toy, as it's only going to be used on the track really and not out at night.

Just got off with the phone from Richard at CCI, extremely helpful, and covered the NA for £480, and I live in, ahem, Corby!

Great that they (almost) mirror the no claims on my daily too. Their policy seems spot on for my little toy, as it's only going to be used on the track really and not out at night.

What is your age,ncb garaged or not or miles per year just out of sheer interest. I know everyone is different I just like to use others as a very rough guide.

Im going to give them a bell tomorrow, I intend to use mine on track days and santa pod when I get one, although on their website they do say they cover private cars not just track/motorsport.

It would seem a few of the insurers I have spoken to today all mention the theft cover between 10pm and 6am, specifically if you state the car will be garaged.