The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tips on using a bung... Help needed

Abz

Stop being such a pussy when putting it in would be number one, In all seriousness though mine still irritates the hell out of me as it just felt so restricted having it in there although now it has an annoying rasp/vibration noise for a couple of seconds around 4k revs which then just stops. Does your bung have a 2inch tube that is about 5inches long where it thins in )--- ???

I ended up cutting the tube off and widening the exit hole just so it could flow way better and still be loud but without making you want to kill yourself at the same time on every journey.

David is that apexi any good as with all bungs and silencers I would of thought you would want that exhaust to flow as best as possible rather than having silencers ect closing the exit hole size?? The only reason I ask is I was thinking it best surely to just get the twin box 2.5 exhaust from Paul whiffin to keep the decatted NA noise down a tad while still having a 2.5 free flowing exhaust?

Edited by Graham1984 (see edit history)

Maybe some sought of grease to lube it up for a smooth fit? ;-)

You still got some of that lube we used last time Luke? :D

I never use the bung but on the TT the sound is not as bad with the RS-R.

As mentioned before, you need a spring circlip or washer to keep tension on the nut. I also found that using a hammer handle was the best way of getting it in and out.

H.

I can't remember how yours sounded on DB Paul, but how loud is it with a TT engine running on it?

I tried to find a funny butt plug photo for this thread but couldn't find one that wasn't NWS :(

Good! :D

Sorry miss read the thread title, I thought you said bong

Oh, I got another thread going on about that...

You have to ask advise on how to fit a bung properly. Its as nearly as good as how to open the filler cap.

My HKS on comes with locking washers which stops it from vibrating loose.

No problems fitting it Ricky, it is more of an annoyance & a pain to fit or take out so I thought I'd see what others do.

I lost my original but I think it must of had a similar locking nut.

One more expensive alternative is to get an exhaust shop to weld a resonator/hot dog/box (use whichever term you prefer) in the midpipe region. I wasn't keen on the tailpipe silencer as it would create too much backpressure - but as yours isn't turbo yet, it might not make a significant impact on engine performance.

So bascially add another box in the mid pipe section? Not worried about performance now, when I go TT I will be though as you mentioned re back pressure.

This one..

:thumbs:

Hi Abs, mine has a spot welded nut on the inside of the bung, but I also use a good spring washer, this stops the bolt from working loose, as for lining it up, I have filed a nice shiney spot around where the hole is (on the bung) and I seem to have no problem seeing this as I near the hole (in the exhaust), yours does sound like it's too tight a fit, it should be a good fit but not that tight. Have you checked the roundness of it? if its slightly oval it won't fit well, other then that, a real good sanding may work.

I have just reread that, and its all wrong in all sorts of ways.

Hey Bob, thanks and yes reading that does sound pretty wrong :p

The fitting\roundness of it seems spot on, just a mm or so too tight.

The RSR one was a pig to get out although straight forward enough to get in. Just wondering if it was age related as the RSR was a good few months old when I got it.

There was nothing to grip when pulling it out, the fit was fantastic though.

This is the exactly how mine is, and funny you mentioned this Scott, because after I cleaned the bung it seemed to slip in much easier.

Thanks again, I am going to have to look into these.

Apexi spring loaded tail silencer installed with stainless bolt, locknut and split-pin, fit & forget, works a treat.

http://www.suspensioncenter.com/p-3175-apexi-active-tail-silencer-gt-spec-and-n1-turbo-universal.aspx

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=146095&d=1329053310

Hey David, is that the same as a normal bung or can you change the exhaust tone?

Stop being such a pussy when putting it in would be number one, In all seriousness though mine still irritates the hell out of me as it just felt so restricted having it in there although now it has an annoying rasp/vibration noise for a couple of seconds around 4k revs which then just stops. Does your bung have a 2inch tube that is about 5inches long where it thins in )--- ???

I ended up cutting the tube off and widening the exit hole just so it could flow way better and still be loud but without making you want to kill yourself at the same time on every journey.

David is that apexi any good as with all bungs and silencers I would of thought you would want that exhaust to flow as best as possible rather than having silencers ect closing the exit hole size?? The only reason I ask is I was thinking it best surely to just get the twin box 2.5 exhaust from Paul whiffin to keep the decatted NA noise down a tad while still having a 2.5 free flowing exhaust?

Shut it you! :p

Yep, mine is like that, I'll try getting a picture later.

At this moment I am leaning towards a butterfly valve as I can not be bothered getting my hands dirty to take it in or out.

Anyone know what size the mid pipe is? Or is that Apexi butterfly value the correct size.

My RSR bung is a tight fit too, I spray it with wd40 first then tap it in with a block of wood and hammer, first time I fitted it, it was stuck for several months because it was too tight, i removed the little M8 bolt in the hope that it would just blow out whilst driving on boost (that didn't work). In the end I bought a slide hammer from amazon for about £20, it came out in about 5 taps :), now i can fit it and remove it as I please.

Simple to fit, quiet around town and motorway cruising, MOT noise O.K. yet lets a wicked growl out when you press the loud pedal in anger.

I will make a sad vid of it and post it up.

Surely trying to make your exhaust gasses go from a massive backbox into a tube the size of a midgets poop shoot is not the best way to deal with noise and flow, Factor in the cost of the silencer delivered against £350 odd quid for a new quieter twin box catback that is designed for noisy NA's decatted is the way to go when you could sell off your old exhaust off and add that to the cash saved from not getting the apexi it would have to be close.

Edited by Graham1984 (see edit history)

http://apexi-usa.com/shop/index.php/silencer-for-gt-spec-and-n1-turbo-active-tail-silencer.html

PRODUCT POINTS:

- Current tail silencers are a restriction for power under high load and the user sacrifices power for quieter sound.

- The ATS allows for quiet sound during low load, but under high load, the pressure activated valve opens wide up for straight through power!!

- The ATS eliminates the need to constantly install or remove the tail silencer.

- The ATS (Active Tail Silencer) comes in 115mm and 90mm sizes for most exhaust system applications.

- APEX Exclusive Design

- No need to change exhaust systems! Any A'PEX muffler can become a variable sound system!

PRODUCT FEATURES

- Exhaust pressure activated tail silencer valve

- Exclusive tail silencer design

- Uses High Grade Ball Plunger Type Valve and Treatment Pipe as the PS Revolution Exhaust

- Uses High Grade Inconel Spring

- Available in 115mm and 90mm sizes

- Maximum sound flexibility from residential areas to the local track

- Includes high temp bolts, washers, and locking pin

Edited by David P (see edit history)

My RSR bung is a tight fit too, I spray it with wd40 first then tap it in with a block of wood and hammer, first time I fitted it, it was stuck for several months because it was too tight, i removed the little M8 bolt in the hope that it would just blow out whilst driving on boost (that didn't work). In the end I bought a slide hammer from amazon for about £20, it came out in about 5 taps :), now i can fit it and remove it as I please.

What do you hook the slide hammer onto?

http://apexi-usa.com/shop/index.php/silencer-for-gt-spec-and-n1-turbo-active-tail-silencer.html

PRODUCT POINTS:

- Current tail silencers are a restriction for power under high load and the user sacrifices power for quieter sound.

- The ATS allows for quiet sound during low load, but under high load, the pressure activated valve opens wide up for straight through power!!

- The ATS eliminates the need to constantly install or remove the tail silencer.

- The ATS (Active Tail Silencer) comes in 115mm and 90mm sizes for most exhaust system applications.

- APEX Exclusive Design

- No need to change exhaust systems! Any A'PEX muffler can become a variable sound system!

PRODUCT FEATURES

- Exhaust pressure activated tail silencer valve

- Exclusive tail silencer design

- Uses High Grade Ball Plunger Type Valve and Treatment Pipe as the PS Revolution Exhaust

- Uses High Grade Inconel Spring

- Available in 115mm and 90mm sizes

- Maximum sound flexibility from residential areas to the local track

- Includes high temp bolts, washers, and locking pin

It's still going to be more of a restriction than not having it in place will be. It is a decent solution but it's by no means perfect. The best way to have low sound in a performance exhaust is to fit a bung, taking it out removes the restriction allowing the exhaust to run to it's potential, having a pressure valve in the exhaust isn't going to allow it to flow to its potential.

So basically that will only flow through the thin tube section while going slow but on full song the gasses will flow through the whole width of the silencer like it was not there??? The reason I ask is I hate looking at photo's where you cant see the back and how it works totally although this could be a good answer to my own noise problem. What about when driving as I was getting a rasp which I expected anyway but could do without this making a vibrating noise as well.

So basically that will only flow through the thin tube section while going slow but on full song the gasses will flow through the whole width of the silencer like it was not there??? The reason I ask is I hate looking at photo's where you cant see the back and how it works totally although this could be a good answer to my own noise problem. What about when driving as I was getting a rasp which I expected anyway but could do without this making a vibrating noise as well.

If you are using a stainless exhaust manifold i highly doubt you will get rid of the rasp no matter what exhaust you put on, the vibration on mine comes from the actual exhaust tubes flexing and hitting each other at 3-4krpm as they are so thin and close together.

If you are using a stainless exhaust manifold i highly doubt you will get rid of the rasp no matter what exhaust you put on, the vibration on mine comes from the actual exhaust tubes flexing and hitting each other at 3-4krpm as they are so thin and close together.

I was wondering if some of the noise is the bung vibrating as well?? It only happens for a second or so but still annoying anyway. Tell a lie it was doing that when it had 1st and 2nd decat too before I put barneys manifold on there.