The mkiv Supra Owners Club

advise on single turbos on ebay

absz

Alex,

As I have said this set-up on my car seems to work even with the as you put it:

" Holy crap you've got a 90deg bend in the intake (post compressor) that can't be too nice for the air flow"

With regard to the fuel pressure I noticed that when it was set at 38psi it tended to jump around so I took it upon myself to up the pressure on the last 3 rolling road runs the fueling was fine although slightly rich ( but hey rather rich than lean )

As for the gap on the plugs I took this information from an american car site along with the plug number and just gave it a try so far it works for me.

In my other post I stated that boost was on at 2900rpm I am sorry that in my haste to post and taking into account I am in work and not supposed to be doing this I should have said that the boost started at 2900rpm and that 1.5bar was reached at around 4100rpm.

OK over the weekend I will post the Dyno Graphs also a picture of the Fmanage and at the end of next week I am going to post with permission a full write up with pictures of the removal of the twins and the fitting of the single on Samsupra37s car.

Please note this works for me and my car and I am only passing on what has been my experience with the single kit and mods I have completed.

:respekt:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry wasn't meant to be offensive...was just stunned to see such a tight angle...like you say it's working for you so I just want to understand your set up more.

I look forward to the extra info at the weekend :) :thumbs:

Did you try a bigger plug gap at all or just go straight to the .4 gap? I'm asking as I wouldn't have thought she'd be too happy idling on such a small gap...but you say you have no issue's so I'm wondering what coldness rating the plugs are 6/7/8?

Also 1.5bar is pretty agressive for pump fuel, have you or the dyno guy's listened (with cans) for detonation?

Write up's are always welcome :) ;)

Ok. So Alex can you actually tell me what the Power FC can do? I am confused in comparison to AEM or Emanage? and how good is it!

:hijack:

The Power FC is a full replacement I believe. It's a powerful bit of kit. If you have it and want to know if it's mapped correctly I suggest you take a trip to Chris Wilson or Paul Whiffin as both have experience with the Power FC.

:hijack:

The Power FC is a full replacement I believe. It's a powerful bit of kit. If you have it and want to know if it's mapped correctly I suggest you take a trip to Chris Wilson or Paul Whiffin as both have experience with the Power FC.

Where are they based, as i am on the south coast. Sorry for the :hijack:

Hi Alex,

I did not take your comment as offensive in any way and there is no need for an appolegy.

Ok I do not run her on standard pump gas, as she is not my daily ride she has in her most of the time Cool Blue.

Of course one of the major things that has been checked is the det but so far none has been detected at least none that can be picked up by the sensors and neither I or Martin have heard any with our ears.

As for the Plug gap as I said I just used the setting on the American site from the off.

This thing with the Apexi Fmanage is really getting my goat up Why is it nobody can accept that it is not an FC, I did swap it out a few months ago for an ECU that had been played with in the states using the MINES CHIP, that thing cost me an arm and a leg and the car ran like a bag of s**t, this was pre single, I then got an emanage but I got it off ebay and it did not work properly and the dispute with the seller is still ongoing so I put back in the FMANAGE and the thing works great.

I have now found someone who knows the unit and has both the Software and the data cable to enable it to be mapped which is being done right now at RGS Motorsport in Wellingborough, I must admit I am worried as for some reason it works fine as it is but I feel that the risk of it being remapped is worth it if I can get more power and know that everything is setup right.

Again I will post all results and information this weekend.

See Ya.

:thanks:

Hi Abbs,

Sorry mate got rid of that setup and replaced with a hybred system that a mate of mine made up for me using a couple of Holley race pumps and a swirl pot, must admit that it looks a bit of a mess at the back of the car but unless I take up the rear plate cover who is ever going to see it, also the mod to the tank is a bit "not nice" also we had larger bore pipes made up to carry the fuel to the engine bay but it works and works well.

Pain in the arse though having to open the hatch to fill up ( You know what I mean even though everyone else won't )

As I said Abbs really looking forward to seeing the new car, also I belive you have got to know a friend of mine who has also been converted over to Supras from Skylines "Dave Boy Green" he has the Silver TT with the VS kit on it !!!

Oh well not getting much work doe today am I..

See Ya.

I wonder if the Fmanage is the predecessor of the Power FC? Or the S-AFC? hmmm...interesting.

Greg, if you want your eManage set up well then take a trip to Norwich ;) - Speak to Ian C on this BBS he's basically got them licked. Mine runs a VVTi 1998 spec with no problems and GReddy don't think it should ;) :p

WOW at last a picture of the Fmanage and convertor.

This has been one thing that has made me look like an idiot as everyone tells me that it does not exsist.

See and belive.

Thanks Faye's Brother it now saves me pulling all the carpet up as it was once siteted in the glove box but we moved it.

Greg, this is awesome. Pleased to hear of your good results with the XSPower turbo kits, and I am very much anticipating your write-up. I did my usual "supra" search on eBay and was surprised to see how cheap these kits are, until I noticed 'XSPower' which I have heard of before. Expecting to see it getting slagged off, I was very chuffed to find this thread.

please keep us updated with the writeup :thumbs:

i feel a group buy coming up ;)

If they ever offer a real P&P Kit will all pipes and everything I'm gonna buy it. As I saw it some people got turbos that worked and some got turbos without exhaust flanges. And cast + welding isnt a good idea I was told.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to resurrect this but what do you mean by "without exhaust flanges" regarding the turbo? Got any piccies? :)

-Ian

my kit turned up this morning :ecstatic: order was placed tuesday. only 3 days . i'll post a pic of turbo in the morning. :D

On the US Kit the turbo didnt had anything you could put the downpipe on.

i had the turbo and intercooler delivered today and both seem fine. checking my tracking number it seems that the manifold has arrived at the airport today. so will let you know of the manifold/downpipe fitment when it arrives. ;)

Err the turbo it what connects to the downpipe ABS' not the manifold.

You should have a Vband flange on the back of the turbo to connect to the down pipe!

The turbo connects to the manifold via a (usually) 4-bolt rectangular flange.

Err the turbo it what connects to the downpipe ABS' not the manifold.

You should have a Vband flange on the back of the turbo to connect to the down pipe!

The turbo connects to the manifold via a (usually) 4-bolt rectangular flange.

sorry alex. i guess i had a one of those moments :dummy: . just had a look at the turbo and theres no flange for the downpipe to fit onto. :looney: . i'll talk to gregsupra4 to see how he fitted his. hey but for £530.19 all in delivered to the door . i'm sure it won't be a problem :eyebrows:

No v-band flange?! Sounds odd - I'm looking forward to the piccies, see what's what. Maybe it's just a bolted flange or something.

-Ian

ian i'll post pics tommorow. maybe its just me who is confused :looney: as there is a v-band clamp supplied

Why are you guy's so picky, so there is no V flange on the back of the turbo !!!!

But if you take a look at the down pipe you get with the kit it has the locking ring on it and all you need is a good welder who can weld a flange ring onto the hot snail as was done to mine and hey presto it's job done and about 2K saved

Now the only reason I can think that some of you are moaning about such a small thing is because you have all got so used to paying top prices where everything just bolts straight on that you have lost the abilty to be inventive.

I know that some of you are going to jump down my throat and say " you cannot weld direct to the turbo as it will cause it to distort " well before you do make sure the welder you use knows about COLD WELDING he will know what I mean.

OK abbs we are starting Samsupra37s single turbo upgrade in the morning and you are welcome to pop over to milton keynes and see us in action we will be taking pictures and will post this and the write up on here soon.

Meanwhile mine is going fantastic since the re-map and set-up cant wait to try her out 5-7th at USC.

Just a quick tit bit yes I did destroy the first turbo but it was my fault, I ran the oil feed pipe to close to the hot side and it burst this of course led to no oil reaching the turbo and although it did not stop it did cause the K nut to fly off and pick up the bearrings.

Still new XSPOWER one on now and working well.